Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 hours ago, Jim Duckworth said:

Wow.  The very first session has Brew Moore and Sonny Clark.  As a guy with no Cal Tjader, I am intrigued.  

Moore played om three Tjader sessions. I you want only these, two albums will do:

R-1172852-1198164654.jpeg.jpg

Moore and Clark play on six of the 10 tracks.

R-6491960-1420489005-5894.jpeg.jpg

Moore plays on five of the eleven tracks, in a style similar to his sit ins with Machito.

Two more tracks are one each on Moore's two Fantasy LPs. 

That box set is a bootleg by US law. In Europe the music is public domain. If you do not have any Tjader, it gives a nice overview of the 1950s sessions, but has no documentation except for musicians listings. Of course it repeats the oten scattered release pattern of the LP issues. Much music for the money. 

Edited by mikeweil

5 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Moore played om three Tjader sessions. I you want only these, two albums will do:

R-1172852-1198164654.jpeg.jpg

Moore and Clark play on six of the 10 tracks.

R-6491960-1420489005-5894.jpeg.jpg

Moore plays on five of the eleven tracks, in a style similar to his sit ins with Machito.

Two more tracks are one each on Moore's two Fantasy LPs. 

That box set is a bootleg by US law. In Europe the music is public domain. If you do not have any Tjader, it gives a nice overview of the 1950s sessions, but has no documentation except for musicians listings. Of course it repeats the oten scattered release pattern of the LP issues. Much music for the money. 

Wow!  Thank you so much for the insight and much needed information.  I am really partial to Brew Moore-this would provide a great introduction to Mr. Tjader.  

• 2 weeks later...

The Jazz Scene (1994, CD) - Discogs

Got this yesterday and it's grand. It' from 94 and OOP and AFAIK there is no later edition. A great object. With a David Stone Martin cover, plus drawings. And with all the greats, including a trio of Lester Young, Nat Cole and Buddy Rich, plus 3 piano solos from Billy Strayhorn. It's only a 2 CD set but I see it as a boxset for its beauty.

2 hours ago, Bluesnik said:

Got this yesterday and it's grand. It' from 94 and OOP and AFAIK there is no later edition. A great object. With a David Stone Martin cover, plus drawings. And with all the greats, including a trio of Lester Young, Nat Cole and Buddy Rich, plus 3 piano solos from Billy Strayhorn. It's only a 2 CD set but I see it as a boxset for its beauty.

:tup:wub:

On 10/20/2021 at 11:57 AM, mikeweil said:

R-12152010-1541012118-7940.jpeg.jpg

How is the sound on this one?

On 10/21/2021 at 4:45 PM, Jim Duckworth said:

Wow.  The very first session has Brew Moore and Sonny Clark.  As a guy with no Cal Tjader, I am intrigued.  

I hate to disappoint you, but the jazz album is probably the least interesting album in the entire set.  IMO. 

15 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

How is the sound on this one?

I hate to disappoint you, but the jazz album is probably the least interesting album in the entire set.  IMO. 

a) the sound is very slightly inferior to the OJC etc. DCs

b) he already bought the Tjader plays Tjazz album and told me he likes it

Edited by mikeweil

22 hours ago, Bluesnik said:

OMG yes.  I actually bought this at the record store where I was working when it came out in 1994, and still have it all these years later (a little worn from use and wear!).  I did a whole Night Lights show about the set that we'll be re-airing in several weeks.  I also inherited the original 78 collection from a friend's spouse--it's missing the front of the booklet but otherwise in great shape, the 78s near mint.  And you know, it was *marketed* as a sort of box-set, a real forerunner to how the major labels and Mosaic would later anthologize and present the music, and how boutique labels continue to do so today (Mosaic still at it, obviously).  Anyway, a beauty of a release, for sure.

Right now I'm on disc 1 of Craft's recent Bill Evans overview.  Very nicely done, so far as I can tell--I haven't dug into Neil Tesser’s liner notes yet or glanced through the booklet much, just put on the first CD, and it's a well-sequenced track list of early Evans trio sides.  

BillEvans-Front_2D_900x.jpg?v=1619729965

Edited by ghost of miles

• 4 weeks later...

The indefatigable Allen Lowe has been dealing with sinus cancer for some time now with great determination and courage and much success and he promises to be back on two feet very soon as a player, author, and compiler of unique and invaluable anthologies of recordings. His 2020 album with Matthew Shipp's group East Axis  "Cool With That" (ESP Disk) is excellent.

Two recent posts from Allen:

(sept 14) hi everybody, sorry I missed this earlier. Much appreciated. It's been a nightmare of a year, and for about the first half I had to struggle just to retain my sanity and figure out if it was worth going on (thanks to my wife I stayed in some control). Basically, I didn't sleep from January - July except in short bites of 15, 30, 45 minutes, and the nightly struggle almost pushed me over the edge. Things started getting better in July and I can now make 2 or 3 hours of sleep at a time.

I had a very rare case of sinus cancer, and the surgery to remove the tumor plus the chemo and radiation just beat the hell out of me. Basically I am now suffering from radiation poisoning, my face is a mess, but we found a plastic surgeon in Boston who is supposed to operate the end of this month and do facial reconstruction. I still have trouble breathing, but it is much better. After this surgery I should be more functional, with 2-3 more surgeries in the next 2-3 years. But I am playing and composing again. And I have had about 5 scans which show the cancer is gone.

Been thrown a bit to find out that Ken Peplowski, the nicest guy on earth, has multiple myeloma, and that my bass player, Kevin Ray, had a massive heart attack last month; not to mention that one of my closest friends has Parkinson's. Still, we go on. Hopefully I will be recording again by next Spring; ESP has a 2 CD set of mine coming out in November that I am very proud of. So things look semi-hopeful.

Love to everyone.

Oct 9 (

thanks all, out of surgery 10 days. in some pain but the graft is holding though as i pointed out elsewhere i look like an aardvark. From what the doctors told me this thing would have killed me in another year or two, left unfixed. There will be one or more reconstructive operations in the next year (I suffer from major radiation poisoning; the treatment killed the cancer but caused other problems). but as long as I am here let me mention that I have a double cd coming out in November on ESP called Ascension Into the Maelstrom. Mention my disease and get 10 percent off. (To this last, Mike Weil said: "Nothing will ever kill your sense of humor, Allen.)

• 2 weeks later...