Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

As much as I love my Mosaics, there are so many other classic Jazz box sets out there that don't get enough of a mention, so here goes...

Art Pepper: The Hollywood All-Star Sessions. :tup:tup:tup

e75509jsz2c.jpg

I had the single CD sampler of this stuff and liked it, but it didn't really prepare me for how good this set is. Despite what you may think of him or even this period of his career, there is some amazing Jazz here.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As much as I love my Mosaics, there are so many other classic Jazz box sets out there that don't get enough of a mention, so here goes...

Art Pepper: The Hollywood All-Star Sessions. :tup:tup:tup

e75509jsz2c.jpg

I had the single CD sampler of this stuff and liked it, but it didn't really prepare me for how good this set is. Despite what you may think of him or even this period of his career, there is some amazing Jazz here.

I whole-heartedly agree, this is a great box set. :tup:tup

At night after I get home from work, I've been playing Bill Evans' Turn Out the Stars, Last Waltz, and Consecration Part 2 quite a bit. Outstanding music.

I think I'll need to delve into my Pepper Hollywood All-Star Sessions and Village Vanguard box sets, as it's been a while since I played those. And I've hardly cracked the surface of my Pepper Galaxy box. Great stuff all around.

'The Debut Records Story' (4CDs) will be doing its thing at my place this weekend. Nice supplement to the big Mingus set and dirt cheap courtesy of zweitausendeins.

I'm interested to hear about this one. How much of it does *not* duplicate the giant Mingus Debut box? I hesitated to get it because I wasn't sure there was much that I didn't already have on that one.

'The Debut Records Story' (4CDs) will be doing its thing at my place this weekend. Nice supplement to the big Mingus set and dirt cheap courtesy of zweitausendeins.

I'm interested to hear about this one. How much of it does *not* duplicate the giant Mingus Debut box? I hesitated to get it because I wasn't sure there was much that I didn't already have on that one.

How is the Mingus Debut box, for that matter? I think that is the only major hole in my Mingus collection.

How is the Mingus Debut box, for that matter? I think that is the only major hole in my Mingus collection.

I like it. Debut was Mingus's own label (he operated it with Max Roach), so he had complete control over what he recorded there. He did some very interesting things. I'm particularly fond of the records he made with trombone choir. Mingus had a life-long fondness for trombones, and as an old trombonist, I sorta like that. It's a big box, though--12 cds worth! It's also an older box, so the remastering probably isn't as good as a more recent effort would be, but it sounds good to me, and it has one of those marvelous, big-format Fantasy-Prestige booklets.

Much of the material is in the 12CD set but there are also things in this box which don't have Mingus in the lineup e.g. a track from Lonnie Levister's unusual orchestral LP and material by Kenny Dorham and John La Porta. The 'duplicate' material is a nice precis of the 12CD set.