Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Red Allen deserves better than this type of shoddy treatment. Easy mistake to make, right?

nicholsr.jpg

henry_red_allen_super_20-162x195.jpg

Speaking of shoddy treatment--the track listing includes relatively few Red Allen masterpieces. In fact, a lot of it is second-rate.

1. Bugle Call Rag

2. Oh! Peter

3. Margie

4. Spider Crawl

5. Who's Sorry Now

6. Take It Slow And Easy

7. Bald-Headed Mama

8. I Would Do Anything For You

9. Mean Old Bed Bug Blues

10. Yellow Dog Blues

11. Yes Suh!

12. Who Stole The Lock?

13. Shine On Your Shoes

14. It's Gonna Be You

15. Someone Stole Gabriel's Horn

16. Till The Clock Strikes Three

17. You'll Never Go To Heaven (If You Break My Heart)

18. Miller's Daughter, Marianne

19. Merry-Go-Round Broke Down

20. Have You Ever Been In Heaven?

21. (Is It) Love Or Infatuation?

22. I Owe You

23. Can I Forget You?

24. Canal Street Blues

25. Shim Me Sha Wabble

26. King Porter Stomp

27. K.K. Boogie

28. Sometimes I'm Happy

29. Ol' Man River

30. A Sheridan,, Square"

31. Siesta At The Fiesta

32. Jack The Bellboy

33. Indiana

34. Indiana (Take 2)

35. Jack The Bellboy (Take 2)

36. Theme

37. Ride, Red, Ride

38. Just A Feeling

39. Dark Eyes

40. Dear Old Southland

41. Red Jump

42. Get The Mop

43. Crawl

44. Buzz Me

45. Drink Hearty

46. Get The Mop

47. Count Me Out

48. Check Up

49. It It's Love You Want

50. Let Me Miss You

51. Struttin' With Some Barbecue

52. Squeeze Me

53. Love Is Just Around The Corner

54. Body And Soul

55. Sweet Sue (Just You)

56. Snag It

57. I Ain't Got Nobody

58. St. James Infirmary

59. Ride, Red, Ride

60. Eh, La Bas (Trad)

61. Ain't She Sweet

62. Beale Street Blues

63. Clarinet Marmalade

Red Allen deserves better than this type of shoddy treatment. Easy mistake to make, right?

nicholsr.jpg

henry_red_allen_super_20-162x195.jpg

Speaking of shoddy treatment--the track listing includes relatively few Red Allen masterpieces. In fact, a lot of it is second-rate.

1. Bugle Call Rag

2. Oh! Peter

3. Margie

4. Spider Crawl

5. Who's Sorry Now

6. Take It Slow And Easy

7. Bald-Headed Mama

8. I Would Do Anything For You

9. Mean Old Bed Bug Blues

10. Yellow Dog Blues

11. Yes Suh!

12. Who Stole The Lock?

13. Shine On Your Shoes

14. It's Gonna Be You

15. Someone Stole Gabriel's Horn

16. Till The Clock Strikes Three

17. You'll Never Go To Heaven (If You Break My Heart)

18. Miller's Daughter, Marianne

19. Merry-Go-Round Broke Down

20. Have You Ever Been In Heaven?

21. (Is It) Love Or Infatuation?

22. I Owe You

23. Can I Forget You?

24. Canal Street Blues

25. Shim Me Sha Wabble

26. King Porter Stomp

27. K.K. Boogie

28. Sometimes I'm Happy

29. Ol' Man River

30. A Sheridan,, Square"

31. Siesta At The Fiesta

32. Jack The Bellboy

33. Indiana

34. Indiana (Take 2)

35. Jack The Bellboy (Take 2)

36. Theme

37. Ride, Red, Ride

38. Just A Feeling

39. Dark Eyes

40. Dear Old Southland

41. Red Jump

42. Get The Mop

43. Crawl

44. Buzz Me

45. Drink Hearty

46. Get The Mop

47. Count Me Out

48. Check Up

49. It It's Love You Want

50. Let Me Miss You

51. Struttin' With Some Barbecue

52. Squeeze Me

53. Love Is Just Around The Corner

54. Body And Soul

55. Sweet Sue (Just You)

56. Snag It

57. I Ain't Got Nobody

58. St. James Infirmary

59. Ride, Red, Ride

60. Eh, La Bas (Trad)

61. Ain't She Sweet

62. Beale Street Blues

63. Clarinet Marmalade

Yes, I noticed that; but that's what makes it so valuable for me. Masterpies are all very well, but you wouldn't want to live with them. Most of my collection is second and third rate.

MG

Strange how people react so inconsistently with regard to those "recycling" box sets (some would say "ripoff", others called them "distilled" box sets ... ;) ).

Now what to expect of a product that makes such blatant mistakes like the one above ...

I've seen people complain about less elsewhere (and make it a reason for dumping the entire set :D ).

But what strikes me in this debate is that lots and lots and forumists keep complaining about Lone Hill, Definitive and Fresh Sound and take issue with the fact that European copyright laws make the music P.D. after 50 years while on the other hand they seem to be more than happy to add other music on other cheapo box sets such as those by Quadromania or Proper.

Could it be that one reason behind this is the following: ;)

Lone Hill and Fresh Sound tend to reissue more modern styles of jazz (I am talking about 50+ year recordings here; circumventing the 50-year limit in the case of much more recent recordings would be another issue). This seems to offend a LOT of people here who collect mainly modern jazz. Is this a.o. because seem to resent the fact that so much of their precious stuff bought at great expense might be devalued by the fact that it becomes available to others (who might take a more casual interest in those styles) at lower prices?

Yet more or less the same modern group of jazz fanatics seems to be quite content at going for those cheapo box sets when it comes to reissues of older (swing or classic jazz) recordings - maybe because they just want a broader, more basic overview of that period so are not too keen on paying top-line prices even for this side interest of theirs? And what is more the money saved by buying those cheapo sets will allow them to save a lot of money that they can invest in more "legitimate" modern jazz reissues ;)

And all this despite the fact that a LOT of those cheapo swing reissues would also fall under this 70-year debate so hotly fought about by U.S. forumists since a LOT of those reissues are more recent than Feb, 1937.

Looks kinda like double standards, doesn't it? :D

Sorry for digressing OT, and no offense meant, but it had to be said for once since at times these double standards become quite evident. May everyone buy what he considers best to his tastes so let's just accept the fact that laws and personal priorities are not the same everywhere ;)

Of course it's double standards, Steve. The person hasn't been born who didn't have a bit of double standards in what they do or think.

These real cheapo Membran things are an ideal way to get a random sample of someone's work. As far as I'm concerned, the Cab Calloway set is going to prompt me to look for a big box of all of his recordings. Is there one?

MG

MG, aside from the fact that I wasn't thinking of you when I wrote the above (more of those who would have cried out loud if somebody had said "Hey I bought this Lone Hill / Definitive and am sooo pleased" ;) ) I fully realize this is part of human nature. ;)

As for completist Calloway boxes, don't know of any (but somebody will certainly be able to tell you) but the CLASSICS label (again!) has/had a lot cf chronological Calloway releases from that era. Hope the Calloway stuff isn't among those that have gone OOP by now.

MG, aside from the fact that I wasn't thinking of you when I wrote the above (more of those who would have cried out loud if somebody had said "Hey I bought this Lone Hill / Definitive and am sooo pleased" ;) ) I fully realize this is part of human nature. ;)

As for completist Calloway boxes, don't know of any (but somebody will certainly be able to tell you) but the CLASSICS label (again!) has/had a lot cf chronological Calloway releases from that era. Hope the Calloway stuff isn't among those that have gone OOP by now.

I have the Classics reissues (12-14 discs, don't remember) and Neatwork picks up the rest. Pay attentionf folks. :cool:

I have the Classics reissues (12-14 discs, don't remember) and Neatwork picks up the rest. Pay attentionf folks. :cool:

Thanks Chuck - quite a lot, aren't there? But I think I like Cab's band better than most others I've heard. I mean, I haven't heard anything of his I didn't like, whereas with the others, there's some and some.

MG

B000000ZC3.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

More John Coltrane. I hadn't really been paying attention to the personnel playing on the various discs and more than once I had to check and see who the impressive piano player was to discover it was Red Garland. He wasn't playing his distictive block chord style which usually tips him off. I gotta tell you he is an incredible blues player. What he was doing on "By The Numbers" on disc 14 (From "The Last Trane" I believe.) just knocked me out much like his solo on "Soul Junction" which also knocked me out.

Edited by mikelz777