Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not really going through the whole set, but am listening to disk 13 of the Trane Prestige set as I type. Dug it out to check the key of "I Want To Talk About You" (it's in Eb!), and stayed with the disk. What else needs to be said about that set?

Does a 2 CD set count as a box set? 'Cause if it does, I want to recommend a very tasty pack: Lonehill put out a 2 CD set of the three Clark Terry/Bob Brookmeyer Mainstream LPs. Very nice, as you would expect. It omits the info that Hank Jones is on the last session, by the way. And the vocals by Clark are supported by Dave Bailey. Trouble is, after getting the CDs, I was tempted to get the three LPs (which I did not hear when new) on eBay.

Dexter Gordon Prestige 8CD set, CD1.

Thank you zweitausendeins ! :)

Isn't that an 11-CD set?

Yep, it's 11CD not 8.

I'm slowly appreciating this set but I'm glad I got it cheap as it's pretty repetitive, really. Nothing wrong, but solid enough but not enough variety.

Re: Dexter Gordon 11-CD Prestige set:

I'm slowly appreciating this set but I'm glad I got it cheap as it's pretty repetitive, really. Nothing wrong, but solid enough but not enough variety.

It sounds like you may be listening to too much of it at one time. Spread it out and savor it! :)

Edited by mikelz777

Re: Dexter Gordon 11-CD Prestige set:

It sounds like you may be listening to too much of it at one time. Spread it out and savor it! :)

I think I agree. I've got all of the LPs that make up this set (except for a bonus track or two, probably) and I wouldn't think of playing them one after another. But with boxes, there's a tendency to play them through.

MG