Cliff Englewood

Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

3,029 posts in this topic

On 1/21/2019 at 8:03 PM, ghost of miles said:

MI0000121416.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Thank you for posting.  I really like this band-besides the usual suspects, I really like Allan Reuss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2019 at 11:30 AM, Jim Duckworth said:

Thank you for posting.  I really like this band-besides the usual suspects, I really like Allan Reuss.

So glad you like it, Jim!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mad Dogs on the Loose

disc 1 from the small formations recording of Barry Guy’s New Orchestra 

highlights here might be the 19 minute piece with the trio with Trevor Watts, Evan Parker & Agusti Fernandez 

or the trio of Guy with Johannes Bauer & Paul Lytton 

plus the other 3 discs are even better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

71DzT1BkvuL._SX355_.jpg

It's just the master takes, but these are enough for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Bluesnik said:

71DzT1BkvuL._SX355_.jpg

It's just the master takes, but these are enough for me.

With many players I’d say that’s true. But not Bird. You can never have enough. 

A0AD7C70-19B2-4FB3-AB97-E414AFBD9D65.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Brad said:

With many players I’d say that’s true. But not Bird. You can never have enough. 

A0AD7C70-19B2-4FB3-AB97-E414AFBD9D65.jpeg

And that's true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Art Ensemble of Chicago ECM box.

New Directions - Live in Europe disk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-11518595-1517762594-9483.jpeg.jpg

Got this for € 12 with free shipping - new copy. Had only four of the nine albums in this set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-1773085-1509019180-3246.jpeg.jpg

Sides 5 & 6 - the Al Cohn arranged session and the quartet session with Horace Silver. "Four" was in my head yesterday while doing market shopping with my wife.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On to the next two LPs ..... it`s years since I listened to some of that box.

Edited by mikeweil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, mikeweil said:

..... it`s years since I listened to some of that box.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

i

I was just thinking the sam thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now spinning some Gene Ammons while checking the discographical details. I didn't expect completeness from this box, but it happens to include all the EmArcy sides that were missing in my collection. But all the early Jug CDs on Chess or Prestige omit some tracks.  Only the Chronoilogical Classics seem to be complete but need to be amended by Tom Archia and Sonny Stitt compilations. Oh well ...

R-10594350-1500926221-7369.bmp.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14.4.2019 at 10:09 AM, JohnS said:

MI0000321095.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Disc 2

👍treasure trove👍 .... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/22/2019 at 7:14 AM, mikeweil said:

Now spinning some Gene Ammons while checking the discographical details. I didn't expect completeness from this box, but it happens to include all the EmArcy sides that were missing in my collection. But all the early Jug CDs on Chess or Prestige omit some tracks.  Only the Chronoilogical Classics seem to be complete but need to be amended by Tom Archia and Sonny Stitt compilations. Oh well ...

R-10594350-1500926221-7369.bmp.jpg

I spent some quality time with this very issue just recently.  Your post has got me reaching for it again.  Thanks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DKV Trio + Joe McPhee - 6 CD box set - 6 concerts from NOV & DEC 2017

The Fire Each Time

I've listenined to the first 2 discs (shows from France & Poland from 11/13 & 11/15/2017) and these shows are among the most exciting invigorating live jazz concerts one would ever want to hear. As usual with Not Two records the sound quality and production values are top of the heap.

Edited by Steve Reynolds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

917ELKkRPhL._SX355_.jpg

Cds 6,7,and 8.(the quintets with Coltrane).  It's about time these got a spin.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Onto disc 4 of DKV & Joe McPhee's 'The Fire Each Time'

Some great music on this and the previous discs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-12295436-1532546990-4225.jpeg.jpg

From one of the many European PD labels. Sound is inferior to the previous reissues on Fantasy or OJC. As I must know its contents for the discography in the upcoming second edition of the Cal Tjader bio, I had to get me a copy. The four page booklet lists the tracks, but no personnel or recording dates, just the albums they are from. Seems like they mixed up the track sequence of the 10" Savoy LP. I cannot recommend this. For car playback only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.