Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm a little more than halfway through the L-O-V-E box & probably inclined to agree with you, although there's some great material here (disc 5 alone, with the Billy May & George Shearing sessions, is fantastic)--jtaylor, who posts here from time to time, was an assistant producer on this box, & I've lobbied him to do exactly what you suggested. I think he's all for it, and unless Will Friedwald's totally burned out on Cole, I'd wager they could sign him on for such a project. Hopefully Bear Family will go for it at some point.

Cool. Hope that happens. You're absolutely right about the May/Shearing stuff. Prime Cole.

51ioapSjy8L._SS500_.jpg

Just finished disc one - wow! Great sound, too!

And the discs aren't schmutzed up?

I love this set, too--AND the sound.

No, I was lucky. Got it a month or two ago used from a seller on UK amazon... all the discs look fine, I still put them in papersleeves which I squeeze in the foamy stuff...

Sound is magnificient, and Christian kicks ass bigtime! I had the two old Columbia/Legacy discs before but didn't play them for years, letting anticipation for this box set grow for quite some time, and I'm very, very pleased, I have to say!

Now I'll have to look for the JSP live set, eventually...

I'm a little more than halfway through the L-O-V-E box & probably inclined to agree with you, although there's some great material here (disc 5 alone, with the Billy May & George Shearing sessions, is fantastic)--jtaylor, who posts here from time to time, was an assistant producer on this box, & I've lobbied him to do exactly what you suggested. I think he's all for it, and unless Will Friedwald's totally burned out on Cole, I'd wager they could sign him on for such a project. Hopefully Bear Family will go for it at some point.

Don't I wish they would! I highly doubt it, especially since ALL of the material from such a box would be PD in Europe already. It needs to get done, though.

Don't I wish they would! I highly doubt it, especially since ALL of the material from such a box would be PD in Europe already. It needs to get done, though.

You know, jtaylor, I had that realization myself while at breakfast with a fellow Cole fan this a.m.--that the PD law would probably (and understandably) dissuade Bear Family's doing such a project. Too bad, as much of that period (am I correct?) remains unavailable on CD.

You know, jtaylor, I had that realization myself while at breakfast with a fellow Cole fan this a.m.--that the PD law would probably (and understandably) dissuade Bear Family's doing such a project. Too bad, as much of that period (am I correct?) remains unavailable on CD.

Correct. Much of it has not seen any release, if at all, since the original vinyl. Others, only on budget European labels.

51ioapSjy8L._SS500_.jpg

Just finished disc one - wow! Great sound, too!

And the discs aren't schmutzed up?

I love this set, too--AND the sound.

No, I was lucky. Got it a month or two ago used from a seller on UK amazon... all the discs look fine, I still put them in papersleeves which I squeeze in the foamy stuff...

Sound is magnificient, and Christian kicks ass bigtime! I had the two old Columbia/Legacy discs before but didn't play them for years, letting anticipation for this box set grow for quite some time, and I'm very, very pleased, I have to say!

Now I'll have to look for the JSP live set, eventually...

discs two and three yesterday - wow!

The session with Prez & Basie is heaven! :wub:

I will though rearrange the music chronologically on CDRs, I think - the liners do mention how the music evolves etc, but the way it's arranged on the CDs, it's a pain to actually play it that way!

Now: Max Roach Mosaic discs 4 and 5, with the Booker Little UA session and the Time album by Roach preceeding the second date on disc 4. Great stuff!

disc 6 now (alternates to the drum battle and the album with Abbey sitting in), to be followed by the second half of disc 5 (the masters/original album w/Abbey) - great stuff (though not the drum battle... rather tedious)