Cliff Englewood

Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

3,047 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Bluesnik said:

That must be an interesting boxset. When was it released? Is it still available?

I realize Jazzbo already answered your question--I snagged it a few years ago when the Fantasy box-sets were turning up online as cutouts at bargain prices, and when I was going through a period of new appreciation for such anthologies.  It's an excellent overview of the label, with good historical notes by Richard S. Ginell, and really shows the range of so-called "West Coast jazz," at least as recorded by Lester Koenig.  Well worth picking up if found for a reasonable price.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thelonious Monk, solo.
71WUHKLNQXL._SL1200_.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, jazzbo said:

It was released in 2004 and is out of print as all the Fantasy titles released before Concord are. It can be had cheaply though in the used market.

Thanks Jazzbo and Ghost of Miles. So there's some hope of finding it. Will chase it, although I have many Contemporaries. But a whole label history really must be something, even if some duplication arises out of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check out discogs.com Bluesnik, some possibilities there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, B. Goren. said:

I've got that same picture in a reissue of Ascenseur pour l'echaffaud, Jeanne Moreau playing one of the main roles in the film, which I've seen several times as it's a personal favorite, just as the album.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Bluesnik said:

I've got that same picture in a reissue of Ascenseur pour l'echaffaud, Jeanne Moreau playing one of the main roles in the film, which I've seen several times as it's a personal favorite, just as the album.

A real classic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pepper-Promise-Kept-OV-333.jpg

Wow, that was one tightly-wound motherfucker! He's one of the few (and maybe the only, at least to these extent) people I can listen to and the deeper I engage, the less I "feel". And yet I keep listening. On this set, it would be easy to credit the superb rhythm sections, but it's not like he's getting led or otherwise being subordinated by them. Quite the contrary, what he's putting out and the way they're respond without getting in the way (and vice-versa) is nothing short of masterful. And when I say "tightly wound", i don't mean "tense" or otherwise uncomfortable, it's just that, for me, with damn near everybody else, you start with what you hear on the surface, and then you can both outward and inward. With Art Pepper,, I don't know how much you can go in either direction ("outward" for damn near anybody worth their salt, "inward" for those who have real substancemeat). But it's not monotonic either, there's a lot of detail (and oh BTW, is it just me, or was this cat one of the most in-tune alto players ever?), it's just....tightly wound. And these are fine, fine records, all five of them.

I do gotta laugh at the liner notes, though. Ron Carter gets told to "lay out" until cued, and Ron Carter does the early-late 20th Century equivalent of checking his cell phone, knowing full and damn well that he can hit anybody's cue at anybody's time, and apparently that's causes a psychodrama :g. And apparently a psychodrama that carried over to the liner notes/track listings, but cause, oh, there IS that slow version of "Yesterdays" on here after all, and the personnel listing for all the various outtakes of that session is, uh, "erratic". So wow, Ron Carter could be aloof, maybe even vibe somebody. Wow, who knew? Dude plays on 50 bajillion records a week and checks his cell phone while waiting for a cue. LOL!!!!

More speculative - it seems to me that "My Friend John" has it's roots, its basic formative roots, nothing more - in "All The Things You Are"? Certainly not a derivative or a contrafact, but between the opening variant on Bird's (Dizzy's?) Rachmaninoff -derived intro, to the first little bit of changes (after which it goes it's own way), anybody else hear that? Maybe it's just coincidence. It's a nice cone if it is!

Reread the initial thread about this set, and people were on the fence about if they have the complete Galaxy set do I need this for the alternates and others were like well, I don't have the complete Galaxy set so maybe this is just right for me, and I'm kind of in the middle - I bought some of the Galaxy LPs back in the day, and other than getting the complete VV set (ELVIN!!!!!) that has been ok with me, enough for that. But this one is just right for me. I certainly like Pepper, but don't "lvove" him the way some people do. This box expands my existing AP collection without bulging it.

Glad I bought it!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday: 

Discs 1 and 30 from the batch accompanying Allen Lowe's book 

“Turn Me Loose White Man”
Or: Appropriating Culture: How to Listen to American Music 1900-1960

http://allenlowe.com/books

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-2376880-1352923002-6460.jpeg.jpg
 

Jonas Kullhammar - The Half Naked Truth (disc 1)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bonus disc of Stepping Stone material from the Woody Shaw Complete Columbia Albums set. I have the Mosaic CBS set and the Stepping Stone CD reissue, but I really wanted the additional Village Vanguard sides.  Did Michael Cuscuna ever say why they didn't expand beyond the studio-only concept and include all of the live recordings on the CBS box?  I think it would have increased the size to five CDs at most.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/29/2020 at 2:44 PM, JSngry said:

Pepper-Promise-Kept-OV-333.jpg

Wow, that was one tightly-wound motherfucker! He's one of the few (and maybe the only, at least to these extent) people I can listen to and the deeper I engage, the less I "feel". And yet I keep listening. On this set, it would be easy to credit the superb rhythm sections, but it's not like he's getting led or otherwise being subordinated by them. Quite the contrary, what he's putting out and the way they're respond without getting in the way (and vice-versa) is nothing short of masterful. And when I say "tightly wound", i don't mean "tense" or otherwise uncomfortable, it's just that, for me, with damn near everybody else, you start with what you hear on the surface, and then you can both outward and inward. With Art Pepper,, I don't know how much you can go in either direction ("outward" for damn near anybody worth their salt, "inward" for those who have real substancemeat). But it's not monotonic either, there's a lot of detail (and oh BTW, is it just me, or was this cat one of the most in-tune alto players ever?), it's just....tightly wound. And these are fine, fine records, all five of them.

I do gotta laugh at the liner notes, though. Ron Carter gets told to "lay out" until cued, and Ron Carter does the early-late 20th Century equivalent of checking his cell phone, knowing full and damn well that he can hit anybody's cue at anybody's time, and apparently that's causes a psychodrama :g. And apparently a psychodrama that carried over to the liner notes/track listings, but cause, oh, there IS that slow version of "Yesterdays" on here after all, and the personnel listing for all the various outtakes of that session is, uh, "erratic". So wow, Ron Carter could be aloof, maybe even vibe somebody. Wow, who knew? Dude plays on 50 bajillion records a week and checks his cell phone while waiting for a cue. LOL!!!!

More speculative - it seems to me that "My Friend John" has it's roots, its basic formative roots, nothing more - in "All The Things You Are"? Certainly not a derivative or a contrafact, but between the opening variant on Bird's (Dizzy's?) Rachmaninoff -derived intro, to the first little bit of changes (after which it goes it's own way), anybody else hear that? Maybe it's just coincidence. It's a nice cone if it is!

Reread the initial thread about this set, and people were on the fence about if they have the complete Galaxy set do I need this for the alternates and others were like well, I don't have the complete Galaxy set so maybe this is just right for me, and I'm kind of in the middle - I bought some of the Galaxy LPs back in the day, and other than getting the complete VV set (ELVIN!!!!!) that has been ok with me, enough for that. But this one is just right for me. I certainly like Pepper, but don't "lvove" him the way some people do. This box expands my existing AP collection without bulging it.

Glad I bought it!

 

Tightly wound - you ever see him on video from those later years? Especially at a gig? Squirrely as hell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Revisiting this excellent 4-CD Prestige anthology:

R-9315837-1478457309-4613.jpeg.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

... and on to disc 4 of this set, as accompaniment to the early parts of Ricky Riccardi’s new Armstrong book. I still recommend this one to people wanting to check out 1920s/30s Louis: 

0001238427.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Played disc one to three this afternoon - some great Hawk here.

R-14432597-1574430319-3500.jpeg.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recent news on Keith Jarrett had me revisiting his Sun Bear series of live recordings in november 1976 in Japan.

Beautifully edited boxset (I have it on LP). The box set is very wide ranging (and distinct from many other KJ projects). Just enjoyed Nagoya and Tokyo now.

R-879287-1323119327.jpeg.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, OliverM said:

Recent news on Keith Jarrett had me revisiting his Sun Bear series of live recordings in november 1976 in Japan.

Beautifully edited boxset (I have it on LP). The box set is very wide ranging (and distinct from many other KJ projects). Just enjoyed Nagoya and Tokyo now.

R-879287-1323119327.jpeg.jpg

Probably his finest hours ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A Jasmine set of V-discs (and one that thankfully excludes any commercial recordings that were repackaged for V-disc release; it uses only sessions recorded exclusively for V-discs as well as broadcasts):

515wGnqgxAL._SX355_.jpg

Edited by ghost of miles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Revisiting another excellent label-based box set from the Fantasy era:

51A5SZ1SPYL.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.