Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Played Coltrane's "Interplay" box in its entirety over the last three days. Very nice one!

The only regret is that the tracks without Coltrane from "The Cats" and "Cattin' with Coltrane & Qunichette" aren't there. I have the old OJCCDs of those and will keep them - the piano trio track on "The Cats" is great, and I've always had a soft spot for "Cattin' with", too... these two and "Burrell/Coltrane" are to me the highlights of this box.

Sonny Rollins: The Freelance Years/ The Complete Riverside and Contemporary Recordings. I'm now listening to Disc 3 where Sonny conducts a master class in unaccompanied tenor on "It Could Happen To You" from The Sound of Sonny. Basically, this box set is top flight Sonny Rollins at one of his creative peaks. Who could ask for anything more?

Peace,

Blue Trane

Clifford Brown: The Complete Blue Note and Pacific Jazz Recordings, Discs 3 & 4. These are the Art Blakey: A Night At Birdland performances and they sound as beautiful as always. :excited:

But not nearly as beautiful as the RVGs. :P

Oh yeah, now playing: My Herbie Nichols Blue Note set.

Edited by Kyo

In addition to the Jazz Crusaders Mosaic box, I've been listening to this newly arrived excellent box set over the past two days.

31V21PKEQFL._AA240_.jpg

Pretty amazing.

:tup

I have that one from EMusic, and it is amazing. I really wanted to buy it (on sale) from Newbury, but since I had just purchased this one:

The Vandermark 5 - Alchemia

h05343odbe4.jpg

it's probably best to stop spending for awhile! ;)

My Pepper box arrived today. Not sure when I'll get to dive into it, but I'm really looking forward to it (already have the 4 individual CDs). Big thanks to Erik and Mike for the head's up on this one. :tup And as for Newbury Comics, what can I say that hasn't already been said? :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

Miles Davis: Seven Steps - Complete Columbia Recordings 1963-64.

I'm listening to the previously unissued version of "Bye Bye Blackbird" that the quintet (George Coleman on tenor) performed at the Antibes concert. My two favorite dates from this period remain the Tokyo concert with Rivers on tenor, followed by the Berlin concert a couple of months later in which Shorter makes his (recorded) debut with the quintet.