Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

These are all radio broadcasts. I don't know of any other releases of this but i have NOT been a Django fanatic and big collector. I like him, a lot, I have a lot of the commercial releases, but nothing beyond that.

The sound varies but is generally good to quite good. One session has a bit of distortion, from the source I'm sure. Otherwise the remastering by Ted Kendall is quite nice. And I really like the music. About 2/3 is Django plugged in, which I like a lot.

Now listening to the last remaining unheard disc, the third of five.

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up the Art Pepper Village Vanguard set. Funny, I was thinking about checking some of this out on eMusic and then I stumble across a used copy at a price I couldn't refuse. (I figure if I decide this isn't my bag, I can get out of it what I paid and be happy.) Still, I just bought about 20 OJCs in a panic buying spree, so it may be a while before I get to this one. LOL

51XVO3O7Y9L._AA240_.jpg

After going through to the earlier sets where there was a lot of discovery and musical styles that i never paid much attention to, i'm now listening to artists that i'm way more familiar and accustomed to hear. I have a thing for well thought out compilations and this is one of them. There is something exciting when you see that the compiler has taken the time to carefully the pieces and put them together to make a grand ensemble.

Listening pleasure guaranteed with entertaining pieces from the beginning to the end.

A nice complement to the other great series Les Trésors du Jazz that i strongly recommend also.

Edited by Van Basten II

last night: parts of several discs of the Verve Bird box (the big one - starting from the earliest sessions, leaving out the JATP ones... the string dates are glorious!)

now: just found this, for less than the prize of one new nice-prize-disc! just popped in disc one, swinging stuff indeed!

cicero_euge_swingingt_102b.jpg