Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Note: nix grooving to ...

[blush]

The Singers Unlimited. The Complete A Capella Sessions. Universal/MPS 2006.

[/blush]

Great sound, great reissue.

Hans Georg Brunner-Schwer (he of Saba and MPS fame) was perhaps the best sound engineer we ever had in Germany.

I picked this double-CD up second-hand (as new) for 5 Euro.

Edited by neveronfriday

B000000ZC3.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

More John Coltrane. I hadn't really been paying attention to the personnel playing on the various discs and more than once I had to check and see who the impressive piano player was to discover it was Red Garland. He wasn't playing his distictive block chord style which usually tips him off. I gotta tell you he is an incredible blues player. What he was doing on "By The Numbers" on disc 14 (From "The Last Trane" I believe.) just knocked me out much like his solo on "Soul Junction" which also knocked me out.

I don't have the complete Prestige set, but I do have the Fearless Leader set. I love Garland's playing, both on the Trane solo records and on the recordings with Miles' first quintet. The only thing that I find lacking with Trane's Prestige material is that his supporting cast is not always quite on the same level as Trane, particularly the drummer. Art Taylor is fantastic, but there are bits with other drummers that really seem lacking. Miles always said that a good trumpet player needs a good drummer, and the same is true for saxes. Trane was always at his best with Elvin Jones behind him, or maybe Philly Joe in Miles' groups or even Roy Haynes when he sat in for Elvin, but I can't help but wonder what his Prestige material would have sounded like with Philly Joe (who was conspicuously absent not only on Trane's records, but on Prestige recordings in general). For example, listen to Louis Hayes struggle through nearly nine minutes of "Come Rain of Come Shine" (from The Last Trane) to come up with just one unique idea. Someone put a mirror underneath his nostrils and see if he's breathing back there!

Edited by Frankie Machine

• 3 weeks later...