Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

Louis Armstrong, the 4CD Columbia/OKeh compilation - very nice, with the lengthy essay by Dan Morgenstern! (I assume sound sucks, but then I have the Hot Fives/Seven Columbia set, but all the other music I don't have in any other form, so I'm not bothered by sound that much...)

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got the "Fearless Leader" Coltrane box for my birthday and played disc one last night. A very nice session, I always liked the "Coltrane" album a lot, that chap Johnny Splawn on trumpet is very nice!

Except for the awkward positioning of the CDs in the box, it's a very good set, beautiful booklet, good liners (including original liners and covers as well).

• 2 weeks later...

Bill Evans: The Complete Verve Recordings Disk three. Mostly the Stan Getz/Evans sessions.

Disk five this morning -- loud. I can't seem to listen to just one cd for this box set, I always wind up going through about ten in-a-row; it really does have fantastic music.

Bill Evans: The Complete Verve Recordings Disk three. Mostly the Stan Getz/Evans sessions.

Disk five this morning -- loud. I can't seem to listen to just one cd for this box set, I always wind up going through about ten in-a-row; it really does have fantastic music.

I completely agree with you. What usually makes me stop playing the next disc is the hassle of extracting the CDs from their sleeve in this awful rusty box! The music is just incredible on that set! :tup

Was listening to Disc 5 of this set yesterday, a set that is far more rewarding than I ever thought would be possible.

11818621.jpg

I knew I'd like all of it but the Sessions with Wilbur Harden are just as good, if not better than the Miles Prestige Session, IMHO.

I assume you have the 2CD set on Savoy which collects the other Harden/Coltrane sessions? Terrific music, Harden is great!

Discs 1-3 of the Evans Verve box (so far, hoping to continue for another few hours). Great stuff! I like "Empathy" very much, "Conversations with Myself" a bit less, but now "Trio '64" is again very nice! (I left out the McFarland for now)