Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

100.jpg

CD 1

I think that you'll love that box, brownie.

Indeed! But i have enjoyed Elmore James ever since I was hooked on his music by Jacques Demetre when I was still a teenager.

Demetre was the coauthor of the classic book 'Land of the Blues' which recounted his 1959 trip to the USA and his encounter with James in Chicago. Demetre also took the color photos (including the cover) that adorn the excellent accompanying booklet.

And that Ace bow is a gem!

Edited by brownie

100.jpg

CD 1

I think that you'll love that box, brownie.

Indeed! But i have enjoyed Elmore James ever since I was hooked on his music by Jacques Demetre when I was still a teenager.

Demetre was the coauthor of the classic book 'Land of the Blues' which recounted his 1959 trip to the USA and his encounter with James in Chicago. Demetre also took the color photos (including the cover) that adorn the excellent accompanying booklet.

And that Ace bow is a gem!

Land of the Blues is a fine book filled with many, many great photos. I'm lucky to have a copy. The music world owes a large debt to Jacques Demetre. Did you know Mr. Demetre?

Yes, Paul!

Was lucky to be acquainted with Demetre when I was writing articles in Jazz Hot in the late 50s.

Demetre had an apartment very close to the magazine headquarters and I spent several afternoons there listening to his collection of 78rpm blues records. A very interesting man.

However I was on even better terms with his co-author Marcel Chauvard whose tastes ranged wider and went beyond blues into the hardbop

productions from BN, Prestige and others (a rare opportunity in the late 50s over here!).