Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Still with the Miles ... enjoying it a lot - but since I got to really know all of this music with the great box sets from the 90s, it does feel weird to have these, uhm, abridged versions ...

Into disc five, "Porgy and Bess", by now ... and continuing.

Impression is pretty good, doing a quick comparison of "Milestones" on headphones showed maybe a bit less clarity (and obviously less space), but making up for that with more punch.

But "Jazz Track", the "Ascenseur" part really doesn't sound too good - all that reverb they added, I know it's "original", but still, it's not sounding good at all. Don't think the old French CD I've got sounded that bad in the "reverb"-portion, but then I enjoy the full session more anyway (and I just tried my luck in finally obtaining a copy of the 2003 digipack reissue from Universal France, the one that should be a considerable upgrade on the old CD).

If the Ascenseur soundtrack is poor quality I might think twice about the Miles Mono box. I know the soundtrack from the Criterion DVD, and would like a copy of the best sounding CD in my collection.

I might save my money for that and the upcoming MoFi KOB SACD, which should be definitive, instead.

Spent most of the day with this

172240_1_f.jpg

Charles Mingus - Passions of a man - Atlantic (Rhino)

MG

I had not read your post until I clicked on this thread to post that I was listening to this set. Right now I'm on disc three - Blues & Roots, plus alternate takes - but may continue on to other discs.

172240_1_f.jpg

MG

How is the presentation of this box set? Presumably the reissue of the original box - I was wondering whether or not they had done a good job or put out a flimsy version.

Various-Jazz+-+Bebop+In+Britain+-+5+CD+S

CD4 - Kenny Graham Afro-Cubists , Tito Burns etc.

Edited by sidewinder

172240_1_f.jpg

MG

How is the presentation of this box set? Presumably the reissue of the original box - I was wondering whether or not they had done a good job or put out a flimsy version.

It's a good job. Somewhere above, a couple of months back, there's a comparison with the original box. It seems a few pics may have been missed out, or maybe the print is smaller on the new edition.

MG