Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1311254458_61gylpftkyl.jpg

Discs 2 and 3 yesterday. Now disc 3.

Always amazed by the emotional power of It Never Entered My Mind.

I second that. It never grows old.

I've always preferred his Verve recordings over the BN.

when I am on a Bud binge i listen to both

np

asm-arsenio-jpg.jpg

Edited by uli

Paramountboxcollage_edited-1.jpg

I threw this little montage together, but it does not give this boxed set justice. There is a beautiful hardcover book with an excellent history and impressively reproduced photos and ads. Even if this music is not what you want to groove with, the beautifully crafted oak box will stun you. I received it yesterday, so I have just begun to explore its content. Here's what's inside—they don't list all of it. For example, I found a great old music short on the fully=loaded USB drive. Amazing. I received this without any letter ot call—a complete surprise, The vinyl discs are fantastic with their sculpted metal labels.

I will be grooving to this box set for a long time to come. :rolleyes:

-800 newly-remastered digital tracks on a forged metal USB drive shaped like a Victrola stylus

-200+ fully-restored original ads and images

-6 x 180g LPs w/ hand-engraved metal leaf center labels on burled chestnut vinyl

-Deluxe large-format hardcover art book: 250 pages, narrative with full-color plates

-Encyclopedia-style reference manual: 360 pages, field guide to artists & repertoire

-Handcrafted elements: rich woods, lush upholstery, and custom-forged metal hardware

-Track & Image App: First-of-its-kind music and image player app, allows user management of 800 tracks and 200+ original ads, housed on custom-made USB

MI0003658200.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Just finished a first listen to this one ... a mixed bag ... some of it is very good ("Chaos", "Mindset", "Tango Palace"), some good ("Notes", the Giuffre, and rather unexpectedly the two guitar albums, the duo with Maslak, too), some is beyond odd ("Sonor") and the one I had the highest hopes for, "Memoirs", I found pretty weak - not bad, but I was hoping for this to be one of Bley's finest, going from the line-up - but that, it is not. At least that's my first impression.

Just finished a first listen to this one ... a mixed bag ... some of it is very good ("Chaos", "Mindset", "Tango Palace"), some good ("Notes", the Giuffre, and rather unexpectedly the two guitar albums, the duo with Maslak, too), some is beyond odd ("Sonor") and the one I had the highest hopes for, "Memoirs", I found pretty weak - not bad, but I was hoping for this to be one of Bley's finest, going from the line-up - but that, it is not. At least that's my first impression.

I haven't got this set, but i do have about 15 of them, and i absolutely love them and champion them as great value, however i've definitely found them to be a mixed bag at times not so much of good and bad as essential and non-essential.

I haven't got this set, but i do have about 15 of them, and i absolutely love them and champion them as great value, however i've definitely found them to be a mixed bag at times not so much of good and bad as essential and non-essential.

Since these all bill themselves as remastered, I've been curious about the remastering and how good it happens to be. Is the remastering work subtle or pretty drastic, a big plus or not much of a factor?

Paramountboxcollage_edited-1.jpg

I threw this little montage together, but it does not give this boxed set justice. There is a beautiful hardcover book with an excellent history and impressively reproduced photos and ads. Even if this music is not what you want to groove with, the beautifully crafted oak box will stun you. I received it yesterday, so I have just begun to explore its content. Here's what's inside—they don't list all of it. For example, I found a great old music short on the fully=loaded USB drive. Amazing. I received this without any letter ot call—a complete surprise, The vinyl discs are fantastic with their sculpted metal labels.

I will be grooving to this box set for a long time to come. :rolleyes:

-800 newly-remastered digital tracks on a forged metal USB drive shaped like a Victrola stylus

-200+ fully-restored original ads and images

-6 x 180g LPs w/ hand-engraved metal leaf center labels on burled chestnut vinyl

-Deluxe large-format hardcover art book: 250 pages, narrative with full-color plates

-Encyclopedia-style reference manual: 360 pages, field guide to artists & repertoire

-Handcrafted elements: rich woods, lush upholstery, and custom-forged metal hardware

-Track & Image App: First-of-its-kind music and image player app, allows user management of 800 tracks and 200+ original ads, housed on custom-made USB

Wow, someone I like can afford the box.

Maybe I can hope to be in someone's will.

;)

Since these all bill themselves as remastered, I've been curious about the remastering and how good it happens to be. Is the remastering work subtle or pretty drastic, a big plus or not much of a factor?

Opinions vary. I've had no issue with the sound myself, they're in line with what i'd usually expect from BS/SN. The few that i've bothered to do quick A/B tests on (when initially debating with myself whether to bother re-importing CDs i had already imported in to iTunes) i basically couldn't hear any difference between the 'remastered' version and the original CD. This lead me to believe that if they have indeed remastered them it's pretty subtle. Results may vary across the vast catalogue and YMMV.

d575166rjvw.jpg

Louis Armstrong and the Blues Singers 1924-1930 (Affinity). A six-CD set from 1991, collecting all of Louis' vocal accompaniments from the twenties. I love this set, and I love the story of how I got it. Thirty years ago, I saw this in a local record store for 80 dollars. Well, I didn't have 80 dollars. Dejected, I drove home. In my mailbox was a check for 80 dollars and some-odd cents. Of course, I turned around, stopping at a band to cash the check, and went back to the record store. I've been enjoying it ever since.

This turned up today and I don't mind at all the twelve quid customs I had to pay

MI0001834854.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Dizzy Gillespie Verve and Philips small group sessions

I've spent the day with it, but haven't got time to listen to disc 7. Really nice music, don'cha know? :)

What has surprised me - because I kind of expected the Philips albums to be a bit duff - is how good they are (so far - haven't got onto the Double Six album yet - oops, just started). In particular, the French Riviera and New wave sets, in which he spends most of his time exploring this lovely new music he heard a short while ago while working in Brazil, are a complete delight; he's so enthusiastic and exploring this material in lots of different ways. 'Swonderful!

Into the 2nd track of the Double Six album and I've a strong feeling this one's going to annoy me quite a bit. This may be the only time I listen to this album.

Oh well.

MG