Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

51tTKS-y8SL._SY300_.jpg

John Coltrane - Live Trane: The European Tours (Pablo), disc seven. There has been some dissatisfaction expressed here with this set, but I would not willingly part with it.

Nor would I. There is some excellent playing across all of those discs. And remixing everything back down to mono greatly improves the sound quality over the original Pablo CDs.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

MI0001583376.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

An interesting box about a minor and partly unknown West Coast label.

I had forgotten about these dates. I think I may have the individual CDs. Do the individual discs issued under Nocturne Records "Jazz In Hollywood" Series cover everything in the box set? The individual titles were:

Virgil Gonsalves Sextet / Steve White Quartet-Quintet

Herbie Harper

Bud Shank Quintet / Lou Levy Trio

Harry Babasin Quintet / Bob Enevoldsen Quintet

Steve White Quartet

*Edit: It appears there is a CD by Jimmy Rowles that is missing

Edited by mikelz777

I had forgotten about these dates. I think I may have the individual CDs. Do the individual discs issued under Nocturne Records "Jazz In Hollywood" Series cover everything in the box set? The individual titles were:

Herbie Harper

Steve White Quartet

The Steve White Quartet that came out as a Limited OJC is not in the Nocturne Box either.

Herbie Harper

Steve White Quartet

The Steve White Quartet that came out as a Limited OJC is not in the Nocturne Box either.

I did some digging around last night and it doesn't appear that the Jimmy Rowles material was released as an individual CD under the Jazz In Hollywood Series but it looks like you can get it under the title, "Rare, But Well Done". (Liberty label?)

I'sn't the Rowles the same that's in the Pacific Jazz Piano Trios Select? I've not got the Nocturne set around to compare ... but yes, there's more around. Too bad this lovely set didn't sell enough for them to do Volume 2, it's one where they did things right! (There's even something they included, I think, that Mosaic missed ... need to dig out the Nocturne box, no clue where it could be though).

Now playing:

MI0001888115.jpg

That box kinda took me by surprise, I had no idea it might even be around as a possibility ... I'd hardly known any of the material before (I think the lone one I had as OJCCD is "The Panther" - excellent quartet date w/Flanagan). Anyway, I've not nearly spent enough time with this and since I get a kick out of LTD right now, it's the time to give this (or parts of it) another spin.

Now discs 4 and 5 (the larger parts of both), the Left Bank recording with Bobby Timmons - messy stuff, but I love it! Afterwards probably the Montreux set with Junior Mance and then "The Panther" (which goes into disc 7) ... oh, the set has plenty of previously unissued alternates. Not that I could really point out any merits or say they're superfluous at this point, but still ... plenty of prev. unissued alternates around ... from the Power/Tower sessions, there's one new tune and six alternates all previously unissued, plus one alt that was on some Dex plays the blues thing. There are also three newly issued alternates from "The Panther", one from "The Chase" with Jug (plus one already on the CD reissue), four from "The Jumpin' Blues" (plus one on that blues thingy), one from the "Generation" session (plus two already added to CDs), and finally an additional tune from "Blues à la Suisse" ... (and the tune added to the CD reissue of the Montreux set is of course there, too, as are all prev. unissued titles added to previous reissues, I reckon). Anyway, great set, a true treasure trove!

Well no, those single discs on Fantasy contained a variety of sessions not in Vol. 1 (I guess they'd have been in Vol. 2) - but I've never really tried to get those (I remember I once figured out which ones I'd have to get, but I forgot). Anyway, guess you got the Rowles, but not generally "all Nocturne", sorry if I got you wrong and you know that :)

MI0001583376.jpg?partner=allrovi.com Box set

Single discs:

-Virgil Gonsalves Sextet / Steve White Quartet-Quintet

-Herbie Harper

-Bud Shank Quintet / Lou Levy Trio

-Harry Babasin Quintet / Bob Enevoldsen Quintet

-Steve White Quartet

With too much time on my hands and the aid of AllMusic.com, I've learned that the single discs above cover all of the material found in the box set with the exception of the Jimmy Rowles which can be found on his title, "Rare, But Well Done". (or the Mosaic) None of the Steve White material appears in the box set.

Okay ... so it was just the two discs by/with White - that rings a bell. I guess I should have another try.

So there must be more material that is on either Vol. 1 or the single discs, as the White material alone would not have made up another 3 disc set ... there's no listing here and a web search doesn't help much either.

But I stumbled over this:

http://jazztimes.com/articles/9065-the-complete-noctourne-recordings-jazz-in-hollywood-series-volume-1-herbie-harper-with-bud-shank-harry-babasin-bob-enevoldsen-virgil-gonsalves-lou-levy-and-jimmy-rowles

and this helpful thread here:

EDIT: there's more ... by looking for "NLP 1" to "NLP 11" here, you'll find the details:

http://www.jazzdisco.org/fantasy-records/discography-1953-1954/