Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Conley Graves and Connelly/Paich sessions are certainly new to me. Won't lose any sleep from them not being issued !

Same here! I guess those plus the White ones would have just about been enough to fill a second volume as Fresh Sound had it planned once.

MI0001583376.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

An interesting box about a minor and partly unknown West Coast label.

Do the individual discs issued under Nocturne Records "Jazz In Hollywood" Series cover everything in the box set? The individual titles were:

Virgil Gonsalves Sextet / Steve White Quartet-Quintet

Herbie Harper

Bud Shank Quintet / Lou Levy Trio

Harry Babasin Quintet / Bob Enevoldsen Quintet

Steve White Quartet

*Edit: It appears there is a CD by Jimmy Rowles that is missing

I don't have the answer to this since I don't know what the totality recorded for Nocturne was, but the contents on the set are:

Herbie Harper Quintet

Bud Shank Quintet, which would be his first session ever

Harry Babasin Quintet

Bob Enevoldsen Quintet

Herbie Harper Quintet/Quartet

Virgil Gonsalves Sextet

Lou Levy Trio

Jimmy Rowles Trio

I don't know why I was under the false impression that this was to be a three volume set. But i've read again through the liners and there's no mention of even a second one. But the mention of Vol.1 on this one points to the intention of releasing at least Vol.2, even if it was a 2 cd set. From your notes the only material missing from the only existing volume is the Steve White material.

In my weakness and in my inexplicable drive for completeness, (an affliction suffered by many jazz fans) I bought the two discs missing in my collection from the known Nocturne releases. I picked up all the other ones years ago when a lot of OJC titles were on clearance or going cheap around the internet.

-Jazz In Hollywood--Virgil Gonsalves Sextet / Steve White Quartet-Quintet

-Jimmy Rowles Trio--Rare, But Well Done (If this material was made available as a single disc under the Jazz In Hollywood series, I've never seen it)

Now I'll have the complete contents of the box set plus the Steve White material. I'm a big West Coast jazz fan and even though this stuff isn't earth shattering or anything, I've always dug these discs.

Picked up a great condition SH copy of this last year. Lucky find !

Good for you. To me it also wasn't easy sourcing a new copy when I got it.

Just to give an alternative view....... I like west coast jazz but find this set somewhat anaemic, it's all pretty uninvolved stuff. The set is well put together but certainly not worth shelling out too much.

Picked up a great condition SH copy of this last year. Lucky find !

Good for you. To me it also wasn't easy sourcing a new copy when I got it.

Just to give an alternative view....... I like west coast jazz but find this set somewhat anaemic, it's all pretty uninvolved stuff. The set is well put together but certainly not worth shelling out too much.

I don't think the material is as lackluster as you make it sound. Like I said before, there's nothing earth shattering or ground breaking here but the music is an enjoyable listen even with repeat listening. (At least for me, I dig it.) I would agree that it's not worth the price it's currently going for with just a cursory search of the internet. ($100-$250) I bought a lot of the discs during what seemed to be a big OJC purge on the internet. I'm all in for around $50 (including the Steve White dates) and I think it's definitely worth that. Getting the OOP Jimmy Rowles CD was the most expensive of the lot.

Edit: I'm actually all-in for closer to $60 but I still think it's worth it for 6 discs.

Edited by mikelz777

bill_evans_verve_box_set2.jpg

lotsa music from the rusty sucker - no sonic issues to my lousy ears, whatsoever ... been listening to the sessions that ended up (partly) on the albums "Empathy", the Gary McFarland album, "Trio 64", "Stan Getz & Bill Evans", "The Bill Evans Trio Live", "Trio '65", "Bill Evans Trio at Town Hall Volume One", and now I'm into the "California Here I Come" material. Will wrap it up with "At Montreux Jazz Festival" in the end.

NBCD42-47.jpg

CENTERING - William Parker - Disc 4 - "Big Moon Ensemble" -Jemeel Moondoc (alto sax), Daniel Carter (alto sax, tenor sax, trumpet, cornet); Arthur Williams, Roy Campbell, Jr. (trumpet); William Parker (bass, recitation); Jay Oliver (bass); Denis Charles, Rashid Bakr (drums). Great disc. First, long, track, massive blowout that somehow does not go off the tracks; the other two tracks more controlled, but just as intense.