Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's 40 discs, was 20 doubles, repackaged (for the centennial) into three "seasons" of twice 7 and once 6 Vols., coming witb original booklets - some photos and lengthy notes in French and English. I think very little is missing - but some rather uninteresting stuff is included, too ... very early stuff (banjo!), whistlers, harmonicas of all sorts ... some of the vocals are pretty nice if you enjoy French chansons, others are by squealing and screeching cabaret ladies. But those are minor issues with such a fine achievement. And you do get the first essential tracks and QHCF recordings pretty early in the game, season one is already full of wonders (including that great date with Coleman Hawkins and Benny Carter).

41QB%2BnQEcxL.jpg

Just went through this ... the 2011 box of Stan Getz' Columbia albums - wonder whether the US Legacy version uses the same masterings?

Info given here (in a summarial way, hence I guess it applies to all the albums included):

"Masterisé par Maria Triana, Mark Wilder et Vic Anesini aux Sony Studios et Battery Studios à New York."

Pretty nice bot, though not all of the albums are very good - "The Peacocks" is one of my favourites though, and "The Master" is very good as well. Of the latin albums, I prefer "The Best of Two Worlds" over "Captain Marvel" (everybody sounds a bit uninvolved there to my ears), "Another World" is surprisingly good and the synth sounds don't really do a lot of damage, but "Children of the World" comes in a sonic dress I can't stand. The closing "Forest Eyes" (with real strings instead of unimaginatively used pseudo dreck) is much better again, I found. But then other than "The Peacocks", these aren't albums I'm very familiar with yet.

It's 40 discs, was 20 doubles, repackaged (for the centennial) into three "seasons" of twice 7 and once 6 Vols., coming witb original booklets - some photos and lengthy notes in French and English. I think very little is missing - but some rather uninteresting stuff is included, too ... very early stuff (banjo!), whistlers, harmonicas of all sorts ... some of the vocals are pretty nice if you enjoy French chansons, others are by squealing and screeching cabaret ladies. But those are minor issues with such a fine achievement. And you do get the first essential tracks and QHCF recordings pretty early in the game, season one is already full of wonders (including that great date with Coleman Hawkins and Benny Carter).

Thank you.

MG

Pretty nice bot, though not all of the albums are very good - "The Peacocks" is one of my favourites though, and "The Master" is very good as well. Of the latin albums, I prefer "The Best of Two Worlds" over "Captain Marvel" (everybody sounds a bit uninvolved there to my ears), "Another World" is surprisingly good and the synth sounds don't really do a lot of damage, but "Children of the World" comes in a sonic dress I can't stand. The closing "Forest Eyes" (with real strings instead of unimaginatively used pseudo dreck) is much better again, I found. But then other than "The Peacocks", these aren't albums I'm very familiar with yet.

Forest Eyes is amazing to my ears - it's that smooth "cool" Jazz FM friendly sound - only done correctly with luscious strings and production that is spot on.

• 2 weeks later...

51MERX--f2L._SL500_SX425_.jpg

Charlie Parker - Complete Savoy Studio Recordings; the 1948 sessions on disc three.

The inclusion of incomplete takes on Bird sets has taken some heat here lately, but I find the fragments fascinating.

And despite a squeaky reed, the September 18, 1948 "Parker's Mood" session is one of Bird's absolute best.

51MERX--f2L._SL500_SX425_.jpg

Charlie Parker - Complete Savoy Studio Recordings; the 1948 sessions on disc three.

The inclusion of incomplete takes on Bird sets has taken some heat here lately, but I find the fragments fascinating.

And despite a squeaky reed, the September 18, 1948 "Parker's Mood" session is one of Bird's absolute best.

When it's Bird, incomplete or alternate takes don't bother me a bit. There are a few others who fall into that category.

51Mxvwu60dL._SY300_.jpg

Complete Billie Holiday on Verve, disc one.

For years, I wasn't convinced that I need this, and I made do with bits and pieces of Holiday's Verve recordings. Well, a local record store had the this box for a ridiculously low price, so I couldn't pass it up. Disc one was beautiful; turns out that I did need this.

• 2 weeks later...