need recommendation for bookshelf speakers

jazzhound

Reports on these are really good, and I've enjoyed speakers from this manufacturer for many years now; won't buy from another maker if I don't have to.

dm944sm.JPG

That planar ribbon tweeter is sweet; I have a pair that utilizes them.

Page with info:

http://www.decware.com/newsite/mainmenu.htm Hit Speakers on the frame to the right and follow on. . . .

From this page:

Decware's Small High Efficiency Monitors - Model DM944

SPECIFICATIONS

94 dB with 1 watt at 1 meter

55Hz ~ 22kHz

4 ohm nominal impedance

Crossover main driver / none

Crossover ribbon tweeter / 6dB @ 8kHz

2 ~ 100 watts

Max SPL 112dB

Size 8" wide, 10" deep, 16" high

MDF 4th order cabinet, rear ported

Real Oak veneer, hardwood corners

Removable Grill

5 way recessed binding posts on rear

8 inch / cast frame / wool cone / butyl

4 inch / cast frame / isodynamic planar

Cap is 400v Polypropelene Film&Foil

Natural Oak finish or Black Oak finish

Shipping weight 25 lbs.

5 years on drivers and cabinets

30 day money back trial

DM944 MONITORS

$649.00 PR

ABOUT THESE FINE SPEAKERS

Ideal for (but not limited to) small single ended amplifiers of 2 watts or more, these little bookshelf monitors make a supremely respectable audiophile speaker when mounted up on stands.

It features a fabulous wool cone driver with no crossover. With a sensitivity of 94dB 1w/1m this is an extremely quick driver. To mate with it we added an isodynamic planar ribbon tweeter using only a single capacitor to cross it over around 8kHz.

The result is as one might expect, excellent dynamics common to high efficiency drivers with the coherency and openness only found in crossoverless speakers.

What one may not expect is the outstanding frequency balance. This is one of those speakers that you have to really work hard to make it sound bad. Incredibly musical and smooth with layer upon layer of micro detail.

These speakers have a very natural sounding midrange that leaves an impression when you hear vocals, male or female. The most surprising thing about these speakers are their bass character. It provides a solid foundation for the midrange ensuring female vocals are never dry or strident sounding.

Supremely controlled and effortless they deliver a presentation with the weight and size you would never believe possible from such a small cabinet. (In fact they have more weight then many of the higher efficiency floor standing towers out there.)

With the vast majority of bookshelf speakers being less then 90dB efficient and limited to a max SPL of 106dB or less you won't find a lot of real competition for this speaker no matter if you're running 2 watts, 25 watts or 100 watts.

Combine this performance advantage with the coherency gained by eliminating the crossover and you have a speaker fully adept at showing off the merits of a really fine tube amplifier. In fact on low or no feedback designs you can expect imaging to be holographic, huge, no holes and well focused.

Custom woods and finishes are available at additional cost (shown left) and are non-refundable.

Standard finishes come with a 30 day money back guarantee. If you don't like these speakers for any reason you can return them for a complete refund less a 6.5% restock fee. Our way of making it as easy as possible to audition speakers in your home for a minimal risk.

ALL efficiency ratings are at 1 watt / 1 meter.

This speaker is an excellent candidate for low power tube gear of 2 watts or more.

Please allow 3 to 6 weeks for delivery. Speakers come with a 30 day money back trial.

All speakers typically ship by UPS ground.

Shipping not included. Oversees orders are non-refundable.

Edited by jazzbo

I got the high-end ones (whatever they're called) from Cambridge Audio but since Henry Kloss died that company seems to have gotten a bit tacky-- at least that's the impression I get from their mailings. However back in the day they were great value for the money. You might check them out and try to find someone who's bought their more recent offerings.

I got the high-end ones (whatever they're called) from Cambridge Audio but since Henry Kloss died that company seems to have gotten a bit tacky-- at least that's the impression I get from their mailings. However back in the day they were great value for the money. You might check them out and try to find someone who's bought their more recent offerings.

I believe Cambridge Audio are now owned by the UK retailer Richer Sounds. As a business they are now tending to veer toward the home cinema market. I've heard many hi-fi enthusiasts complain about the decreasing standards so this may be a possible reason.

I believe that company is called Cambridge SoundWorks (I had model 6), and their speakers nowadays are made in China. Cambridge Audio is a UK company.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been very happy w/ my Paradigm Studio 20s.

I've had a pair of these in my living room for years and I still love them. I don't listen to them by themselves though as I have a subwoofer for the extra bass I need. Other than that, they are fine speakers. The midrange is very life like.

A friend of mine who doesn't have a lot of space bought a small set of B&W bookshelf speakers and he was very happy with them. I don't know the model number.