Zoot Sims

Simon Weil

Listening to "Loose Bloose" for the the Bill Evans thread, I found a bit of unison playing between Evans and the Sims got stuck in my head. In particular, it was something about Sims' tone - like it spoke to something in me. At the moment, I've just got one Zoot record - "For Lady Day".

Any recommendations?

Simon Weil

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

His lone Riverside is great, so is "& The Gershwin Brothers" (next to "Soprano Sax" - don't get if you don't have two dozen others - my only Pablo so far).

Then there's Al & Zoot - anything you can find is good enough! One of the finest may be "Motorin' Along", reissued in the recent Sonet/Universal series (not that recent, actually they came out in 2004).

His Bethlehem album (with Dave McKenna) is fine, too.

And he plays on Booker Ervin's Bethlehem album, too - quite a contrast!

Don't know the one you started with but here are a few of my favorites.

I have a lot of his 50s LP's (vinyl) and particularly like the following:

Zoot Sims Quartets (Prestige)

Zoot Sims with Henri Renaud/Jon Eardley (Swing, originally on Ducretet-Thomson)

The modern Art of Jazz (Dawn, reissued a.o. as "One to Blow on" on Biograph and Meteor)

Zoot Sims Goes to Jazzville (Dawn, reisued a.o. as "The Big Stampede" on Biograph)

Zoot Sims plays Foru Altos (ABC, reissued on MCA Impulse)

Zoot Sims Plays Alto, Tenor and Baritone (ABC)

Zoot! (Riverside/OJC)

Zoot (Cadet)

Down Home (Bethlehem)

His collaborations with Al Cohn are also enjoyable throughout:

From A to Z (RCA)

Al and Zoot (Coral/Jasmine)

You 'n' Me (Mercury)

I've also heard nothing but praise about most of his 70s recordings for the Pablo label.

Enjoy!

I always loved Suddenly It's Spring, but many favour If I'm Lucky. I don't think you can go wrong with late-period Zoot.

It might be worth getting Jazz Alive: A Night at the Half-Note recently released on Blue Note. It features Al Cohn plus Phil Woods on one track IIRC. The contrast of styles is very noticeable on 'It Had To Be You'.

A album I have by Michel Legrand called After The Rain, 1982, Pablo, has a track on it called Nobody Knows. It has Zoot Sims and Phil Woods playing and the rhythm section drops out to leave the two saxes weaving melody around each others playing, puts a shiver down your back it is so beautiful.

Oh yes, the Legrand OJC is good! If only they hadn't used an electric piano... but in the end the music is too strong that it matters!

The Coral "Al & Zoot" is definitely great, maybe that one's my favourite of the duo. It was reissued on CD in the long-gone Chess Masters series, probably hard to find by now, alas.

Could anyone specify a few of the Pablos? I only have "Soprano Sax" (so-so) and "& the Gershwin Brothers" (terrific). If one doesn't just want to get all of them, where to continue?

Not a bad apple in the Pablo Sims basket!

I go along with White Lighning. The albums with Jimmy Rowles are essentials. Favorites would be 'Warm Tenor','If I'm Lucky' 'and I Wish I Were Twins'.

Another great Sims/Rowles is Zoots 'Party' on Choice.

Zoot Sims was a giant!

Edited by brownie

Zoot Sims was a giant!

Absolutely!!

Zoot always came to play. I can't think of a bad album. As wonderful as his 1950's stuff is, and I have it all, I think he actually kept getting better as he got older. The breeziness of his earlier style is enhanced as his tone deepened. Most of my favorites have already been named. I especially like:

All the the Pablo albums, especially the ones with Jimmy Rowles

"Zoot Sims' Party" (Choice)

"Zoot" (Argo), with the fantastic Gus Johnson on drums. It was included on the Chess CD "That Old Feeling"

"Zoot at Ease" (Famous Door) reissued on Mobile Fidelity CD

"Nirvana" with Buddy Rich (Groove Merchant) reissued on a multitude of labels, including Denon. This is a superb session.

"Elegiac" (Storyville) with Bucky Pizzarelli.

Why don't I just list them all? :cool:

One of my favorites is Zoot Sims Recorded Live At EJ's on Storyville. It was recorded live in Atlanta, Georgia on August 9, 1981 with Zoot Sims sitting in with a local house band. The great thing about it is that it sounds like they've played together for years. And although they are playing the usual standards, they are more adventurous with the arrangements than you'd expect. But let not my limited English be used to describe its greatiosity:

g12660jl30e.jpg

Maturity suited Zoot nicely, and this recording explains how. After decades of consistently creative activity during which he followed his own path and maintained his individuality without ever abandoning the influence of his predecessors, the saxophonist sounded simply wonderful on this summer night in Georgia. Thank goodness someone was recording the proceedings! After opening his set with a gorgeous version of "That Old Devil Called Love," Zoot turns Yancey Korosi loose on the public with a very advanced rendering of Fats Waller's "Jitterbug Waltz." The recognizably familiar melody only appears during the last chorus. First the pianist tears up, playing all sorts of harmonic variations on the changes. Then Zoot enters quoting "When Yuba Plays the Rhumba on the Tuba." They gyrate together and by the time the piece ends the audience has obviously been goosed into a state of heightened receptivity. Anyone who has ever experienced a live club performance of real jazz will recognize this turning point in the program. It is very much what this kind of music is all about. Switching from tenor to soprano saxophone, Zoot sails into "Softly, As in a Morning Sunrise." Korosi is a marvelous improviser who interacts well with bassist Dewey Sampson and percussionist James Martin, while Zoot handles the soprano with striking facility. The rhythm section sets up a stimulating pace for "Over the Rainbow," enabling Zoot to move over the face of the tune at his own relaxed pace, expanding the song until it seems to tower over the rest of the city. Korosi's optimistic piano brings to mind Ron Burton's remarkable presence on Rahsaan Roland Kirk's 1973 album Bright Moments; in fact, the entire ambience of this live recording glows with something comparable to the vibe at Keystone Corner on the West Coast, back in the day. After 11 smoking minutes of "Rainbow," Zoot chooses a series of Ellington excursions: "In a Mellow Tone" rocks nicely, "I Got It Bad" breathes like a lotus, and "Caravan" serves as a wicked outing for soprano. The rest of the album teems with still more surprises, for Zoot brings on a second tenor saxophonist, Rick Bell, for a friendly triple finale. They jam with irresistible imaginative energy during "Groovin' High," "Take the 'A' Train," and "Lester Leaps In." It would be difficult to identify a more exciting example of Zoot Sims in action. Highly recommended for listeners of all persuasions.

- by arwulf arwulf, Allmusic.com

I'd endorse all the '50s albums that Big Beat Steve mentions. In my probably minority opinion, Sims' playing lost much its freshness, became kind of professionally/predictably "Zoot-like," at some point in the '60s, although at least one of the Pablo Rowles-Sims albums is very good. Another choice Zoot moment from the '50s is his theme statement and solo on "Evening in Paris" on Quincy Jones' "This Is How I Feel About Jazz," an album that also has some of the best early work by Phil Woods, another player who IMO took much the same route that Zoot did at about the same time, though for more mysterious (at least to me) reasons. I've heard it said by those who should know that what happened to Zoot's playing over the years was essentially a function of way too much heavy drinking. and that the times when things were different for him musically were almost always times when he'd cut back for a while.

I don't know if anyone heard this one, but Zoot is SO great, it bears repeated listenining:

The Three Bosses with Zoot Sims

Zoot Sims (ts) Bud Powell (p) Pierre Michelot (b) Kenny Clarke (d)

"Blue Note Cafe", Paris, France, January, 1961

Groovin' High Mythic Sound MS 6005-1

I think his style evolved and matured through the years. He always wanted to swing though, God bless him!

By the way, I love him on soprano too.

Edited by marcello

I've heard it said by those who should know that what happened to Zoot's playing over the years was essentially a function of way too much heavy drinking. and that the times when things were different for him musically were almost always times when he'd cut back for a while.

Larry, I see your point and saw Zoot Sims playing in that condition. You referred to this also in a chapter of your book 'Jazz In Search of Itself'.

But I'll take a drunk Zoot over the vast majority of sober tenor players any time :P

Edited by brownie

I'd endorse all the '50s albums that Big Beat Steve mentions. In my probably minority opinion, Sims' playing lost much its freshness, became kind of professionally/predictably "Zoot-like," at some point in the '60s, although at least one of the Pablo Rowles-Sims albums is very good. Another choice Zoot moment from the '50s is his theme statement and solo on "Evening in Paris" on Quincy Jones' "This Is How I Feel About Jazz," an album that also has some of the best early work by Phil Woods, another player who IMO took much the same route that Zoot did at about the same time, though for more mysterious (at least to me) reasons. I've heard it said by those who should know that what happened to Zoot's playing over the years was essentially a function of way too much heavy drinking. and that the times when things were different for him musically were almost always times when he'd cut back for a while.

I don't have the background knowledge that Larry Kart evidently has and I won't go into the debate over whether the early or late Zoot was better as I haven't listened to enough of his later work to really judge it.

In addition to his 50s recordings that I mentioned earlier (one era of jazz of particular interest to me so this is why have these), just an additional plug for the two Zoot LP's with Bob Brookmeyer for the Storyville label (later reissued on Black Lion - nice stuff, although those occasional vocals by Zoot are a bit odd) and of course his Blue Note item with Jutta Hipp which I totally forgot earlier.

I also agree that Quincy Jones' "This is How I Feel About Jazz" has great solo parts.

However, as for the goodies in the 70s Pablo recordings by Zoot, I'd go for "Basie and Zoot" from 1975 first (one I have passed by too often in the past and which is now on my shopping ist).

Oh yes, the Legrand OJC is good! If only they hadn't used an electric piano... but in the end the music is too strong that it matters!

The Coral "Al & Zoot" is definitely great, maybe that one's my favourite of the duo. It was reissued on CD in the long-gone Chess Masters series, probably hard to find by now, alas.

Could anyone specify a few of the Pablos? I only have "Soprano Sax" (so-so) and "& the Gershwin Brothers" (terrific). If one doesn't just want to get all of them, where to continue?

Warm Tenor.

One of my favorites is Zoot Sims Recorded Live At EJ's on Storyville. It was recorded live in Atlanta, Georgia on August 9, 1981 with Zoot Sims sitting in with a local house band. The great thing about it is that it sounds like they've played together for years. And although they are playing the usual standards, they are more adventurous with the arrangements than you'd expect. But let not my limited English be used to describe its greatiosity:

g12660jl30e.jpg

Maturity suited Zoot nicely, and this recording explains how. After decades of consistently creative activity during which he followed his own path and maintained his individuality without ever abandoning the influence of his predecessors, the saxophonist sounded simply wonderful on this summer night in Georgia. Thank goodness someone was recording the proceedings! After opening his set with a gorgeous version of "That Old Devil Called Love," Zoot turns Yancey Korosi loose on the public with a very advanced rendering of Fats Waller's "Jitterbug Waltz." The recognizably familiar melody only appears during the last chorus. First the pianist tears up, playing all sorts of harmonic variations on the changes. Then Zoot enters quoting "When Yuba Plays the Rhumba on the Tuba." They gyrate together and by the time the piece ends the audience has obviously been goosed into a state of heightened receptivity. Anyone who has ever experienced a live club performance of real jazz will recognize this turning point in the program. It is very much what this kind of music is all about. Switching from tenor to soprano saxophone, Zoot sails into "Softly, As in a Morning Sunrise." Korosi is a marvelous improviser who interacts well with bassist Dewey Sampson and percussionist James Martin, while Zoot handles the soprano with striking facility. The rhythm section sets up a stimulating pace for "Over the Rainbow," enabling Zoot to move over the face of the tune at his own relaxed pace, expanding the song until it seems to tower over the rest of the city. Korosi's optimistic piano brings to mind Ron Burton's remarkable presence on Rahsaan Roland Kirk's 1973 album Bright Moments; in fact, the entire ambience of this live recording glows with something comparable to the vibe at Keystone Corner on the West Coast, back in the day. After 11 smoking minutes of "Rainbow," Zoot chooses a series of Ellington excursions: "In a Mellow Tone" rocks nicely, "I Got It Bad" breathes like a lotus, and "Caravan" serves as a wicked outing for soprano. The rest of the album teems with still more surprises, for Zoot brings on a second tenor saxophonist, Rick Bell, for a friendly triple finale. They jam with irresistible imaginative energy during "Groovin' High," "Take the 'A' Train," and "Lester Leaps In." It would be difficult to identify a more exciting example of Zoot Sims in action. Highly recommended for listeners of all persuasions.

- by arwulf arwulf, Allmusic.com

That one's a blast! I have it filed with my Körössy albums, so I didn't think of it when this thread was started. Anything by/with Körössy is worth having, and if it also has Zoot, all the better! Dig Ianci on "Jitterbug Waltz"!

And look out for his MPS album "Identification" in any form you might be able to find it, it's terrific!

Zoot Sims in Paris (UA) is a longtime favorite.

Is that the Vogue one with a quartet date from 1950 and a sextet w/Rosolino from 1953, or the later one that was reissued as part of EMI's "Americans Swinging in Paris" series? The former I have and it's good, the later I still need to get...

Zoot Sims Quartet

Zoot Sims (ts) Gerry Wiggins (p) Pierre Michelot (b) Kenny Clarke (d)

Paris, France, June 16, 1950

V4021-1 | D422 | D428 Night and Day Discovery 148, DL 3015; Prestige PR 7817

V4021-2 - Prestige PR 7817

V4021-3 - unissued

V4022-1 | D424 | D430 Slinglin' Hash Discovery 148, DL 3015; Prestige PR 7817

V4022-2 - Prestige PR 7817

V4023-1 | D427 | D433 Tenorly Discovery 149, DL 3015; Prestige PR 7817

V4023-2 - unissued

V4024-1 | D423 | D429 I Understand Discovery 149, DL 3015; Prestige PR 7817

V4024-2 - unissued

V4025 | D425 | D431 Don't Worry 'Bout Me Discovery 150, DL 3015; Prestige PR 7817

V4026 | D426 | D432 Crystals -

V4027 Zoot and Zoot unissued

* Zoot Sims Quartet Recorded in France (Discovery DL 3015)

* Zoot Sims - First Recordings! (Prestige PR 7817)

* Zoot Sims - Night and Day c/w Slinglin' Hash (Discovery 148, 45-148)

* Zoot Sims - Tenorly c/w I Understand (Discovery 149, 45-149)

* Zoot Sims - Don't Worry 'Bout Me c/w Crystals (Discovery 150, 45-150)

Zoot Sims Sextet

Frank Rosolino (tb) Zoot Sims (ts) Henri Renaud (p) Jimmy Gourley (g) Don Bagley (b) Jean-Louis Viale (d)

Paris, France, September 18 or November 18, 1953

Toot's Suite Vogue (F) LD 170

The Late Tiny Kahn -

Call It Anything -

tk.2 Zoot's Suite -

Once in a While -

tk.3 Great Drums -

* Zoot Sims Goes to Town (Vogue (F) LD 170)

Zoot Sims - Henri Renaud Quintet

Jon Eardley (tp) Zoot Sims (ts) Henri Renaud (p) Eddie de Haas (b) Charles Saudrais (d)

Paris, France, March 15, 1956

Charlie Went to Cherbourg Le Club Francais du Disque (F) HF 95

Crazy Rhythm -

I've Found a New Baby -

Charlie Was in Rouen -

* Zoot Sims/Henri Renaud - Night Session in Paris (Le Club Francais du Disque (F) HF 95)

Zoot Sims - Henri Renaud Quintet

Jon Eardley (tp -1/3,5/7) Zoot Sims (ts) Henri Renaud (p) Benoit Quersin (b) Charles Saudrais (d)

Paris, France, March 16, 1956

1. Captain Jetter Ducretet-Thomson (F) 250V023

2. Nuzzolese Blues -

3. Everything I Love -

4. Evening in Paris -

5. On the Alamo -

6. My Old Flame -

7. Little Jon Special -

* Zoot Sims in Paris (Ducretet-Thomson (F) 250V023)

Zoot Sims - Pierre Michelot Quartet

Zoot Sims (ts) Martial Solal (p) Pierre Michelot (b) Kenny Clarke (d)

Paris, France, March, 1956

It Had to Be You I Giganti del Jazz (It) 8; Europa Jazz (It) EJ 1007

* Chet Baker - Gerry Mulligan - Bud Powell - Clark Terry (I Giganti del Jazz (It) 8)

* Bud Powell - Europa Jazz (Europa Jazz (It) EJ 1007)

The Three Bosses with Zoot Sims

Zoot Sims (ts) Bud Powell (p) Pierre Michelot (b) Kenny Clarke (d)

"Blue Note Cafe", Paris, France, January, 1961

Groovin' High Mythic Sound MS 6005-1

Taking a Chance on Love -

Blue Bud Blues / 52nd Street Theme -

* Earl Bud Powell, Vol. 5 - Groovin' at the Blue Note, 59-61 (Mythic Sound MS 6005-1, MS 6005-2)

Zoot Sims - Henri Renaud Quartet

Zoot Sims (ts) Henri Renaud (p) Bob Whitlock (b) Jean-Louis Viale (d)

"Blue Note", Paris, France, December, 1961

Zoot's Blues United Artists UAL 4013

Spring Can Really Hang You Up the Most -

Once in a While -

These Foolish Things -

On the Alamo -

Too Close for Comfort -

A Flat Blues -

You Go to My Head -

Stompin' at the Savoy (Savoy) -

* Zoot Sims in Paris (United Artists UAL 4013, UAS 5013)

Ok, I see now it's likely the very last one - has that been on CD? Or is that the "Americans Swinging in Paris"? Nope, that one's the March 16, 1956 date - has this last one from 1961 been on CD?

Edited by king ubu

The March 16, 1956 session is this one I mentioned above:

Zoot Sims with Henri Renaud/Jon Eardley (Swing, originally on Ducretet-Thomson)

It was in that LP reissue series on the Swing label a couple of years back.

The session recorded the day before (March 15, 1956) was not only on that CfD record club label but also on a German "Deutscher Schallplattenclub" 10-incher. So it might even have been on a corresponding Swiss ExLibris issue and you might perhaps find it at a fleamarket somewhere if you want an original by all means ... ;)

Edited by Big Beat Steve