Zoot Sims, Bob Brookmeyer

B0000015RZ.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Blues for Two.

Zoot Sims, Joe Pass

7adbd250fca04dab1c649010._AA240_.L.jpg

Also this one,

A Summer Thing.

c44419d0566.jpg

Is this the same as the "Nirvana" recording mentioned earlier, only under a different name? It has Zoot Sims/Bucky Pizzarelli/Milton Hinton/Buddy Rich, Buddy Rich and Zoot "sing" on "Gee Baby, Ain't I Good to You ", this is the track listing.

1. Summerset

2. Honeysuckle Rose

3. Summer Thing

4. Somebody Loves Me

5. Gee Baby, Ain't I Good to You

6. Nirvana

7. (Back Home Again In) Indiana

8. Memories of You

9. Come Rain or Come Shine

10. Lazy River

11. Send in the Clowns

Also, and suprised this hasn't been mentioned already,

Art 'N' Zoot

54f1124128a0e18f2cc29010._AA240_.L.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard both Bucky and John Pizzarelli in performance and on Billy Taylor's jazz from the Kennedy Center say that Bucky especially likes (of his own recordings) one particular recording with Zoot Sims. But I don't remember the recording's name. Any idea which Bucky/Zoot recording that would be?

Thanks.

I don't share Larry Kart's view and am more in agreement with Stereojack.

I do like Zoot's recordings from his early days through his final period. His early recordings swing beautifully, and are terrific. But it's his Pablo years where the maturity and musical depth comes though far more strongly in my opinion.

However, the great thing is that we can have it all!!!!!!

sims_zoot~~_somebodyl_101b.jpg

I had this on LP, but not now. Lent it out and never got it back. It had a different cover too.

A motherlode of great music from Zoot Sims -- mid 70s recordings done for the Groove Merchant label, presented here in a double-length package! Although Groove Merchant was mostly known for its funkier sounds, the work here is nicely back to basics for Sims -- small group sessions that give him plenty of room to open up and blow -- paired with players that include Lionel Hampton on vibes, Bucky Pizzarelli on guitar, Teddy Wilson on piano, and Buddy Rich on drums. The sound is warm, but never sleepy -- and Zoot's tenor has a nice edge on his solos that dominate most tunes. CD features 14 tracks that include "Nirvana", "Somerset", "A Summer Thing", "Somebody Loves Me", "Up A Lazy River", "Come Rain Or Come Shine", "Send In the Clowns", "Air Mail Special", "Ham Hock Blues", and "Ring Dem Bells".

• 3 weeks later...

Also meant to ask — is the Plays Alto, Tenor, and Baritone album worth picking up? Usually I don't care for overdubbing, but knowing that it's Zoot, I'm kind of interested.

I never have enough Zoots.

There are two (sometime three) of him on the date. Different album but I find it arresting.

And if you care for more overdubbed Zoots, there is another ABC album 'Zoot Sims Plays Four Altos'. Both have been arranged by George Handy and have the same rhythm section: Johnny Williams, Knobby Totah and Gus Johnson.

Intriguing and never short of interesting

You guys made that easy enough. I just ordered Plays Alto, Tenor, and Baritone as well as Nirvana with Pizzarelli. Well, I probably just needed an excuse to order them. :P

I always used to think that "Knobby Totah" was a nom de groove, but that's the bassist's real name. I think his story was posted here (or on the BNBB) a long time ago, but I can't remember it now. I want to say that he's of Turkish descent, but I think I'm just making that up because my memory can't accurately recall.

I always used to think that "Knobby Totah" was a nom de groove, but that's the bassist's real name. I think his story was posted here (or on the BNBB) a long time ago, but I can't remember it now. I want to say that he's of Turkish descent, but I think I'm just making that up because my memory can't accurately recall.

Actually, his real name is Nabil Totah. Knobby, or Nobby, is his nickname. Here's his website:

http://www.totahbass.com/

I just ordered Plays Alto, Tenor, and Baritone as well as Nirvana with Pizzarelli.

These came in the mail Saturday. Both have already exceeded my expectations, particularly the session with overdubbing. Nice!

I imagine that Locking Horns with Joe Newman is also good. Anyone here have it? The only label to purchase it from is (perhaps unfortunately) Fresh Sounds, but their website says it's out-of-stock. Does Fresh Sounds let their inventory go out-of-print?