Zoot Sims

Simon Weil

5 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

After looking over Ken's fine list of CDs by Zoot Sims, I compared it to what I have. There were a few I am missing.

Also discovered that I have some not on Ken's list:

Jazz Mission to Moscow - Colpix 50064

Zoot Sims - live in Louisville - Gambit 69335

Zoot Sims et Henri Renaud (many other musicians) - Gitanes 013 037-2

Zoot Sims in Paris 1956 (Quintet w. Jon Eardley) - Jazztime 22

Zoot Sims - In Paris (Quartet) - Liberty 6244

Zoot Sims - Passion flower - Pablo OJCCD 939-2

Sims - Brookmeyer / Eldridge-Kamuca - Pumpkin 107 & 108

Edited by Ken Dryden

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here are additional titles that I omitted:

Zoot Sims et Henri Renaud: Jazz in Paris - Gitanes 440 013 037-2

Zoot Sims/ Phil Woods/Bill Crow/Mel Lewis/Willie Dennis    Jazz Misison to Moscow    Warner (J)/Colpix 29201

Count Basie/Zoot Sims     Basie & Zoot                                                                 OJC 822

Al Cohn & Zoot Sims                Motoring Along                                          Gazell 1010
Al Cohn Quintet w/Zoot Sims    Al And Zoot                                               GRP 827
Al Cohn & Zoot Sims                In London                                                Harkit 8567

Al Cohn & Zoot Sims                 Live at the Left Bank                           Label M 495716
Al Cohn & Zoot Sims   Body And Soul                                                           Muse 5356
Al Cohn & Zoot Sims     From A To Z                                                              RCA 47790
Al Cohn-Zoot Sims Quintet       You 'n Me                                              Verve 314 589 318-2

Jutta Hipp          With Zoot Sims                                                  Blue Note RVG 3 93178

Red Mitchell/Bob Brookmeyer/Zoot Sims       Happy Minors        Solid/Bethlehem (J) 6072

Art Pepper/Zoot Sims       Art 'N' Zoot                                                 Pablo 2310 957 

Annie Ross & Zoot Sims       A Gasser!                                           Pacific Jazz 7 46854

Bobby Sherwood & His Orchestra      1942/45 Live Broadcasts With Zoot Sims   Soundcraft 5013

LPs:

Clark Terry/Harry Edison/Kai Winding/Urbie Green/Zoot Sims/Budd Johnson/Flip Phillips/Dick Hyman/James Moody:  Colorado Jazz Party     BASF 25099

Clark Terry/Zoot Sims/Coleman Hawkins/Al Grey/Ruby Braff/Bud Freeman & others: That Newport Jazz                                                  Columbia 2179

Rune Gustafsson/Zoot Sims      The Sweetest Sounds                 Pablo Today 2313106

Bobby Hackett with Zoot Sims      Strike Up The Band                Flying Dutchman 829

Joe Newman/Zoot Sims                    Locking Horns                                 Roulette 52009

Zoot Sims                                   Zoot Sims' Party                                          Choice 1006
Zoot Sims                                   Plays 4 Altos                                 MCA/Impulse! 29069
Zoot Sims                                   Passion Flower                                        Pablo 2312120  

Clark Terry/Zoot Sims           Mother______ Mother________ -A Jazz Symphony             Pablo 2121115 

Of course, these only include recordings where Zoot Sims is billed on the cover, there are numerous other recordings I own with him as a sideman.

8 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

Jazz Mission to Moscow - Colpix 50064

That is a swinging record. Excellent really, but for some reason I've never been able to connect with it.

Zoot was like Johnny Hodges in that he (almost) never played a flawed solo, but there is such a thing as Zoot over-saturation. Probably even Zoot would have agreed to that. Still, when he was on, it's like the best breakfast, the best coffee, and the finest slippers one can imagine. (Other analogies rightfully apply.)

I think I find Al overall more exciting, but Zoot more reliable (if that makes any sense). I love both.

I don´t think I have very very much Zoot. The first time I heard him on "Miles and Horns" on those things like "Tasty Pudding" , then I liked very very much the "Tenor Conclave" with Trane, Hank, Zoot and Al Cohn....., and the biggest surprise for me was that set of Zoot with the Bud Powell Trio at Blue Note Café in 1961 or 62. 

I don't know if there's a Zoot completist, but the recently released Lennie Tristano Mosaic Box features one track from The Half Note ca. 1962, "How Deep Is The Ocean" played by Lennie, Lee Konitz, Sonny Dallas, Nick Stabulas, and for some reason not Marsh, but Zoot...and he plays tastefully as always.