Shorty Rogers

Jazz Kat

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For what ever reason most of the Shorty Roger's records I have get a spin or two and then end up getting sent to the basement when I need to make room. "wherever the five winds blow" would be the one I return to the most. Solid laid back performances from the whole gang (Rogers, Giuffre, Levy, Pena and Bunker).

By the way, the Atlantic material sounds WAY better on the Mosaic set, compared to the Collectables, which sound very pinched.

I'm not a big Proper Box fan, but the Rogers set does plug some gaps in the early RCA material and doesn't sound noticeably worse than the discs they rip off.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Shorty Rogers heads a West Coast group at the Aurex Jazz Festival in Japan in 1983. With him are Bud Shank, Jimmy Giuffre, Bob Cooper, Bill Perkins, Pete Jolly, Monty Budwig and Shelly Manne!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUEqNznwXNk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLIGzCvG0l8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2FPr-y4Px0

I have these cuts on LP and CD before.. BUT, my question is whether this is available on a full-length DVD with decent sound? God! I hope so ...

• 5 months later...

I've always thought of Shorty more as an arranger than a trumpet player, but listening to his early 50s collaborations with Teddy Charles, I find his playing kind of interesting. He seems most comfortable in the mid and lower register and his ideas sometimes outpace his technical facility, but all the more interesting for that.

Are the Shorty Rogers Collectables releases in good sound?

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I just bought yesterday the JSP set. So far I've listened to the first 2 CDs and I loved it, the music and the sound.

Take a look at JSP website.

Would you care to give some more information about this set?

Is it all sideman material, or does it also contain some early sessions under his own name? Big bands or/and small groups etc.?

• 10 years later...

That Peter Gunn clip I posted is cued up to skip the music and go right to the single line or relevant dialogue. I thought it was ROTFLMFAO funny when I was watching the episode. I talked back to the tv, told it  "I believe I DO, thank you very much!"

• 7 months later...
On 30.3.2008 at 6:20 PM, Teasing the Korean said:

I'm still looking for a copy of Shorty Meets Tarzan. When will I find one?

Hopefully you've found it in the meantime?

Its on a Giant Steps CD  GSCR 032 and contains also the funny episode for that  You Tube comic "Three little Bops" with Stan Freberg.

On 31.3.2007 at 9:35 PM, garthsj said:
brownie said:

Shorty Rogers heads a West Coast group at the Aurex Jazz Festival in Japan in 1983. With him are Bud Shank, Jimmy Giuffre, Bob Cooper, Bill Perkins, Pete Jolly, Monty Budwig and Shelly Manne!

I have these cuts on LP and CD before.. BUT, my question is whether this is available on a full-length DVD with decent sound? God! I hope so ...

Here is the japanese edition from the AUREX Festival

37304691jy.jpg?rand=1575560472

37304692df.jpg?rand=1575560472

Have some more tracks on my harddisc which were not issued on official recordings but only broadcasted.

Edited by jazzcorner