Shorty Rogers

Jazz Kat

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never really new much about Rogers and his music other than his arrangements on a couple Herb Alpert records. I saw him on Jazz Shots from the West Coast, and I loved him. I would like some biographical info and music recommendations. All help appreciated.

Growing up in the Fifites as a dedicated fan of what was called "West Coast Jazz," Shorty Rogers was a big name, and a musical hero for me. He still considered as one of the real founders of the west coast school.

For a quick primer on him, and a decent discography, click here:

http://www.spaceagepop.com/rogers.htm

You have to get his "Afro Cuban Influence" album on RCA.

Then, there is a Bluebird CD compilation called "Short Stops" collecting tracks from 2 early RCA 10 inchers - "Cool and Crazy" and something or other, along with his EP of music from Leith Stevens' "Wild One" soundtrack. This is also essential.

And if you can find a vinyl copy of his MGM album "Shorty Meets Tarzan," you're one lucky mofo.

I second TTK's recommendation of Short Stops, which is out of print but is usually available from Amazon resellers.

Also out of print but very important is the EMI/Capitol/Blue Note/whatever CD The Birth of the Cool Vol. 2, which is half Shorty Rogers and half Gerry Mulligan's tentet with Chet Baker. As I recall, this includes Art Pepper's original recording of Over the Rainbow.

Listen to BOTH but be careful in your decisions.

Rogers & Pepper at the Lighthouse is GREAT, as are the "Martians" albums on Atlantic.

And "Short Stops" would also be great as an INTRODUCTION to Shorty's RCA recordings but MAKE SURE the CD you have been suggested actually includes ALL that is on the "Short Stops" VINYL on RCA. Originally this was a TWO-LP set and also included the entire "Shorty Courts the Count" LP (plus other material such as the "Wild One" soundtrack), and when CD's came along U.S. record companies in particular were known to rehash previously issued vinyl under the same title in rather a slapdash manner on CD to cash in on the growing CD market but butchered the contents in the process, i.e. a couple of tracks are likely to have been eliminated just to make everything fit on one CD. This can be VERY annoying when you want to make additional purchases as you will end up with LOTs of duplicate tracks. So the LP might well be the better buy.

There are other nice 50s releases on the RCA and Contemporary labels that are worth getting.

Speaking of the "Wild One" soundtrack, don't let yourself get confused by the name Leith Stevens mentioned above. There was a totally different LP out by the "Leith Stevens All Stars" that included the soundtrack items plus other "related" tracks to make up one complet 12in LP. Nice as well (but hard to get) but this is NOT the Shorty Rogers music. So be sure which one you get.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

omk okokokokok what you REALLy need is this 2 cd comp. set i picked up recently for 5 bucks: its 2 cds: the 1st cd is shortys arrangements for maynard, woody, and kenton. 2nd cd contains 2 full length "giants" lps (not the 'martians' ones) and also contains one track from the aformention lighthouse date- also includes a 3rd large ensemble date w/ art pepper i cant recall now, anyways its a whole lot of stuff for 1 low price

Ha! Looks like this one (on the Giant Steps Records label, right?) is one of those re-compilations that so many seem to complain about here.

It seems to be available with the same contents from another (non-RCA) label:

http://www.alphamusic.de/1957295.html

This more or less duplicates the RCA Short Stops CD (NOT the 2-LP set) and should be nice for a first (!) listening to Shorty but on the other hand, two thirds of the first CD are rather pointless if you ever want to get any deeply into Herman, Kenton or Rumsey because then you are bound to accumulate all of these tracks elsewhere.

And remember - among Shorty Rogers' leader recordings it only includes a sampling of his Capitol and RCA stuff but none of his Contemporary or Atlantic ("Martians") material.

So it all depends on whether you are content with getting a representative compilation or if you want to get any deeper into Shorty's recordings (because if you want to you will find all of this over again on other releases).

Edited by Big Beat Steve

not go further? not go further? i have every godamn 78 that godamn kenton ever put out (on capitol). but w/ the cd set it is all nice and handy so i can listen to just the shorty stuff...and on CD to boot! but you know i have bigger problems right now than having to once again defend the good name of west coast jazz i dont feel so good tonight and i just fucking sneezed snot all over Solomon Illori African High Life so i need to clean it off now

If you don't mind getting duplications that's fine. And 78s (or 50s originals) are something else, of course. I don't mind my Kenton 78s also appearing on my Kenton reissue vinyl (some 30 or 40 LP's or so) either. ;)

But getting more or less the same material over again from one CD reissue to the next and ending up with lots of overlap? I dunno ...

BTW, a question to those in the know: Did Fresh Sound ever transfer their reissues of 50s Shorty Rogers LP's to their CD catalog?

Take care ;)

BTW, a question to those in the know: Did Fresh Sound ever transfer their reissues of 50s Shorty Rogers LP's to their CD catalog?

Fresh Sound did put out the Shorty Rogers RCA albums on CD. They even issued the 'Invisible Orchard' album which had never been released by RCA. That one was recorded in 1961 will the usual Rogers regulars (Stu Williamson, Al Porcino, Conte Candoli, Frank Rosolino, Harold Land, Bill Perkins, Pete Jolly, Mel Lewis, et al).

As mentioned somewhere else, this should be a thing of a past since Fresh Sound lost their RCA distribution deal recently!

Most of the Shorty Rogers RCA albums are very good as are all his Atlantic recordings. The out of print Mosaic set of all Shorty's Atlantic material is a gem.

Also well worth getting are the two much later Shorty Rogers CDs on Candid which include many of the west coast luminaries such as Bud Shank, Bob Cooper, Bill Perkins, Pete Jolly and Conte Candoli.

Shorty Rogers/Bud Shank & The Lighthouse All Stars - America The Beautiful - Candid 79510

Shorty Rogers/Bud Shank & The Lighthouse All Stars - Eight Brothers - Candid 79521

Speaking of the "Wild One" soundtrack, don't let yourself get confused by the name Leith Stevens mentioned above. There was a totally different LP out by the "Leith Stevens All Stars" that included the soundtrack items plus other "related" tracks to make up one complet 12in LP. Nice as well (but hard to get) but this is NOT the Shorty Rogers music. So be sure which one you get.

Just to clarify: Leith Stevens composed the music for "The Wild One," and Shorty was in the band that played on the score. The Leith Stevens album is a re-record of music used in the film, and I believe it's arranged differently. The Shorty Rogers EP consists of Shorty's arrangements and recordings of Leith Stevens' music. There is a CD out - I think on Bear Family - that includes both the Leith Stevens album AND the Shorty Rogers EP. I don't think the actual music heard in the film ever made it to LP or CD.

Not sure if this 2CD compilation is the one chewy refers to

B000A7G37C.01-A2380A3TX9IM30._AA180_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

but got this one for about the same price and it turned out to be a good overview of Shorty Rogers' career up to the late '50s!

I found this compiliation, still in its shrinkwrap, for $1.00 at Half Price Books. It made me go back to Half Price Books many times.