Art Blakey- Buttercorn Lady

chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

....$20 big ones, Limelight LP?

blakey band w/ keith Jarrett (!??!?!) and mangeoine, before he decended into the oblivion of white powdered nose candy.

main reason i want to get is cause apparentlyt it was recorded LIVE AT THE LIGHTHOUSE.

any opinions will be considered seriesouly by chewy

also whats up w/ limelight in general? how could they afford such groovy packagaing. were they known as having good packagaing or is that just chewys opinion? what is the complete label output. who owned it? is it associated w/ a larger label like cbs?

....$20 big ones, Limelight LP?

blakey band w/ keith Jarrett (!??!?!) and mangeoine, before he decended into the oblivion of white powdered nose candy.

main reason i want to get is cause apparentlyt it was recorded LIVE AT THE LIGHTHOUSE.

any opinions will be considered seriesouly by chewy

also whats up w/ limelight in general? how could they afford such groovy packagaing. were they known as having good packagaing or is that just chewys opinion? what is the complete label output. who owned it? is it associated w/ a larger label like cbs?

I like the record - perhaps not as much as I like some of Blakey's previous lineups, but there's plenty to recommend this one. This is the only record of this particular edition of the Messengers, featuring young Chuck Mangione long before he had moved into commercial music, and a fine obscure tenor player Frank Mitchell. I saw the band at Varty's in Boston around the time they made this record.

Limelight was a subsidiary of Mercury. At the time, Impulse was going strong and Mercury figured they could outdo them with the fancy packaging. As it turned out, Limelight only lasted a couple of years as a deluxe label. Later pressings of many of the titles omitted the gatefold jackets and inserts.

Good stuff. Maybe not $20.00 worth of good, but your mileage may vary there.

There was a CD issue or two, I'd check Ebay and Amazon Marketplace to see if its available for less.

Oh yeah, Chewy managed to leave school without a credit card, so those options are out. :rolleyes:

Had it since it came out and I've always been lukewarm on this one - promises more than it delivers. The title tune has one of the worst edits you'll ever hear. And there's a long ballad in there that dominates the second side, nothing special, not sure I'm looking for that in a Messengers album. (Are there many ballads in their discography? A good one on "Ugetsu.") However, the original LP (and one of the Japanese CD reissues) had one of those elaborate covers that were a feature of the label - if you've never seen one, check it out.