Myself when I am Real

Been reading this during spare moments lately (yeah, when I'm not on the computer chatting with you people!), and while I find an occasional annoyance, particularly in the area of "off topic" stuff, I don't seem to be reacting as negatively to this book as many do. Assuming anyone here does actively dislike this book, what exactly is it that tweaks you? Just curious...

Hi sheldon.

Yeah, I dug the book quite a bit actually. I can see where the style might bug some people, but realistically, it's the best widely available source of firsthand recollections about Mingus, and if the zeitgeist didn't mind being felt, who am I to complain?

Underdog is something to read when you've exhausted everything else - including Jane Austin.

Both Priestley and Santoro give short shrift to the California years. Priestley at least tried. Santoro bailed. Everyone needs the info in the liners to the Uptown Mingus package. Bob Sunenblick, aided by yours truly, uncovered more information about the "formative" years than both of them put together. In many ways Mingus didn't advance his music beyond his late '40s tracks. Truly amazing stuff.

Ah, but those were different days; if you tried that today, you'd be hit with a zeitgeist harrassment lawsuit! ;)

Dude, I DARE it to. I'd countersue SO damn fast it would NOT be funny.

The zeitgeist and me have never really gotten along anyway. Must be fate. Or maybe just my shoes....

... Everyone needs the info in the liners to the Uptown Mingus package. Bob Sunenblick, aided by yours truly, uncovered more information about the "formative" years than both of them put together. In many ways Mingus didn't advance his music beyond his late '40s tracks. Truly amazing stuff.

Every serious Mingus fan should get this set. His musical origins go back a lot further than one would realize based on his commonly available work.

And the booklet's fabulous. (96 pages, IIRC.)