Black Lion 24Bit remasters at 2001

tjobbe

All,

for the 2001 aficionados they are currently having roughly 60 CD's in store from the Black Lion 24Bit series that normal sells at 15-18€ regular price tag. Not sure if that is attractive for US folks but within europa that might still be a bargain.

Best regards, Oliver

edit: for those (still) not knowing the URL: www.zweitausendeins.de

Edited by tjobbe

some of these titles are available at www.cybermusicsurplus.com for only $5.50, with free shipping on orders over $50 (in the u.s.). btw, the label is 1201, not 2001. ;)

2001 is the shop name and the label releasing them here is DA (Deutsche Austrophon, da-music.com) :w

The Cybermusic's offerings is nice but not that attractive for me in Europe with Shipping and custom&tax added on larger orders.

Cheers, Oliver

Thanks Oliver,

Unfortunately the 2001 jazz offerings have become quite limited recently.

One thing is that they have no Fantasy material anymore except for a few leftovers (because of the change of ditributors), but there are also very few bargains on other labels. Currently, they have a couple of Sony and Universal CDs, and that's it. It seems that they have a huge stock of Gil Evans' "The individualism" and Bill Evans' "From left to right", which has been in their catalogue for years ...

As far as DVDs go, they are generally more expensive than Amazon or JPC. But they are still a great resource for discounted books (german only).

I also bought a few nice and outrageously cheap photography books from them recently, one by Ellen Auerbach, one a fat catalogue about an exhibition on four forgotten Jewish/German photographers ("Verdrängt, vertrieben aber nicht vergessen"), and one about Soweto.

Also they have the "Das Auge und der Apparat" catalogue (another heavy book, in fact), another great one (I found that for about the same prize in a store over here, though - seems even stock liquidation has turned globalized by now... at least within the tiny german-speaking part of the world)

Thanks Oliver,

Unfortunately the 2001 jazz offerings have become quite limited recently.

One thing is that they have no Fantasy material anymore except for a few leftovers (because of the change of ditributors)

That's not true, for example right now they're offering selected new Prestige and Blue Note RVGs for €6,99 - that's a pretty good price. Same goes for some Verve discs (I picked up Archie Shepp's Kwanza last week).

Anyway, their programme changes all the time, so I'm sure we'll see more bargains with the arrival of the new "Merkheft" in late February.

But they are still a great resource for discounted books (german only).

German books only ? NAH!

The B.B. King book they currently have on offer is in English - and it's a beaut!

And late last year they had the BEBOP volume of the "Third Ear" record guide at a giveaway price. (Yeah I know - the Scott Yanow detractors might well lurk just around the corner but I like it anway - wish I had be able to get that anywhere near that price when I bought my copy 5 or 6 years ago)

In 2005 they had William Gottlieb's jazz picture book, and there's LOTS more in English on their book tables, both related to our music and to lots of other subjects!

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Yep. I bought 5 books from them the other day and four of those are English editions (Jim Marshall, Proof"; John Cohen, "Photographs"; B.B. King, "Treasures" and William Claxton, "Photographic Memory".) Unfortunately, Bill Wyman's "Blues" is in German, but at that price I might as well read it in my mother tongue (s.th. I rarely ever do).

Actually, 99% of the books I bought from 2001 these past twenty years were in English.

Indeed, many of the art books are english (because the art is the most important part, and there is no german version), but you won't find any but a few british or US litterature books in english at 2001. I prefer to read the original language, but 95% of their foreign literature books are german translations.

Have a look at their small "English litterature" section: http://www.zweitausendeins.de/stoebern/?ke...sh%20Literature

Edited by Claude

Indeed, many of the art books are english (because the art is the most important part, and there is no german version), but you won't find any but a few british or US litterature books in english at 2001. I prefer to read the original language, but 95% of their foreign literature books are german translations.

Have a look at their small "English litterature" section: http://www.zweitausendeins.de/stoebern/?ke...sh%20Literature

Well, the books I mentioned were ENGLISH-Language editions!

This is why I did not even mention Bill Wyman's Blues history book that's been on sale there recently (I'd have preferred the English version too but this one isn't that bad as a translation).

Obviously I am thinking of "art" books only here because for the most part this is where the JAZZ literature that we might be thinking of here first is usually found (with a few notable exceptions such as Boris Vian's collected writings on jazz that 2001 carried in its German translation a couple of years ago).

As for general literature and fiction books, I don't think there is a shortage of sources for finding almost anything at cut prices today in these times of the internet, and 2001 can't have 'em all if they want to retain their special image.

The big difference according the way they used to handle Fantasy reissues before the distribution change is that they had some kind of deal with ZYX keeping most of the box sets in their regular program at low prices, making it almost impossible for any other German retailer to sell them.

Now they offer them like any other new issue, i.e. for two or three months. They buy a ceratin number of copies and when they're sold out, that's it.

I still found two Fantasy sellout leftovers I hadn't seen before at my last visit at the Frankfurt store, but the well definitively seems to run dry.

I still found two Fantasy sellout leftovers I hadn't seen before at my last visit at the Frankfurt store, but the well definitively seems to run dry.

I must have bought at least 150 of those Fantasy CDs last summer, so at least my wallet is happy to see this end. :P

I really wish they'd offer the Joe Henderson Milestone Years boxset for a decent price, though.

Edited by Kyo

I must have bought at least 150 of those Fantasy CDs last summer, so at least my wallet is happy to see this end. :P

me, too, i think even more than 150; but the worst thing is that every day i spent at least ten minutes thinking about the CDs i didn't get...

me, too, i think even more than 150; but the worst thing is that every day i spent at least ten minutes thinking about the CDs i didn't get...

Argh, don't even get me started... All those nice Art Pepper Contemporary albums... Those CDs by people I didn't even know about back then...

It really was a great time. I got pretty much everything on Fantasy from the likes of Cannonball, Lockjaw, Bill Evans, Bobby Timmons, Blue Mitchell, Booker Ervin, Shelly Manne (four of the five Blackhawk discs!), McCoy Tyner (his Milestone albums were a revelation to me!), Sonny Rollins (all except three of his Milestone CDs!), Eric Alexander... all for €2.99 each - or even less in some cases! It was insane!

I don't have the original Black Lion CDs to compare with and please do correct me if I'm wrong here, but the sound on these 24-Bit remasters (God, how I'm getting to hate that phrase) sucks.

Muffled at times, shrill at times, compressed at other times. It sounds like someone did one of those 20-minute runs with whatever "f*ck-up-the-original-tapes" software is en vogue at the moment, flattening the sound to a mere nothing.

I bought about 15 of these and have only quickly checked some, but the sound was bad throughout.

Major disappointment.

P.S.: I know most of these are reasonably old recordings, and they might have been mediocre tapes/recordings at best when they were recorded (no idea) or the engineers were a bunch of crack heads, but I've heard a million better transfers than these.

Edited by neveronfriday