Black Lion 24Bit remasters at 2001

tjobbe

mhhh, just listened to the three Pettifords (which I was mainly interested in beside the Monk in London Vol.1-3) which are live recordings from 1959 and I would not complain about their quality.

I have non of those duplicate as original Black Lions (16Bit transfer) so I cannot comment on previous transfers. The sound is acceptable for a pre-60's live recording, heard much worse stuff. When I recall correctly there was an older thread somewhere in the re-issues vault that as well complaint about the 24bit were a bit "sharper" than the first transfers.

Cheers, Oliver

BTW: I wouldn't buy them for the full price like JPC charges for them here at 19€

me, too, i think even more than 150; but the worst thing is that every day i spent at least ten minutes thinking about the CDs i didn't get...

Argh, don't even get me started... All those nice Art Pepper Contemporary albums... Those CDs by people I didn't even know about back then...

It really was a great time. I got pretty much everything on Fantasy from the likes of Cannonball, Lockjaw, Bill Evans, Bobby Timmons, Blue Mitchell, Booker Ervin, Shelly Manne (four of the five Blackhawk discs!), McCoy Tyner (his Milestone albums were a revelation to me!), Sonny Rollins (all except three of his Milestone CDs!), Eric Alexander... all for €2.99 each - or even less in some cases! It was insane!

:) in the beginning i thought i was only interested in Jon Eardley, Zoot Sims, George Wallington and the like... only 2 Shelly Manne, way to few Art Pepper, didn't get any Charles Earland or Rusty Bryant... didn't get any McCoy Tyner, not all the Johnny Griffin or Jimmy Heath I could have gotten, way too few Cannonball, no Kenny Drew, only about half of the Coltrane Prestige stuff i could have gotten... just too much for buying a box set at the moment, didn't get the Mingus Debut Box, or the Rollins Freelance Box... no Jackie McLean, not all Sonny Criss... list is getting longer every day - should be much more grateful for the many great things i found out about in the past 9 months or so...

I don't have the original Black Lion CDs to compare with and please do correct me if I'm wrong here, but the sound on these 24-Bit remasters (God, how I'm getting to hate that phrase) sucks.

Muffled at times, shrill at times, compressed at other times. It sounds like someone did one of those 20-minute runs with whatever "f*ck-up-the-original-tapes" software is en vogue at the moment, flattening the sound to a mere nothing.

Are they really so bad? I was about to order those two Cecil Taylor cds+Abdullah Ibrahim+Tatum cds plus some others.

Do they just sound muffled or did you also experience some listening fatigue?

Chuck has stated somewhere that Black Lion in its LP days was a fine label, but any CD reissue series have been crappy. I can't confirm the former, but the later seems to be true, generally... but then you can find some very fine music on those discs and it might be the only option to get it without having to look up and down for used vinyl.

Chuck has stated somewhere that Black Lion in its LP days was a fine label, but any CD reissue series have been crappy. I can't confirm the former, but the later seems to be true, generally... but then you can find some very fine music on those discs and it might be the only option to get it without having to look up and down for used vinyl.

Ok. I will buy those cds during the next week and if they give me headache due to listening fatigue then I will sell them at ebay.com

I really want those Cecil +other cds and at that price I'm not going to pass this offer!

I ordered the following titles (I'm too lazy to type them all up, so I'm using order confirmation short titles in the hope that you can identify them from that).

I have yet to come across titles that sound more than mediocre or adequate, although I really only spot-checked (!!!). The best way to describe the sound on these is "veiled". No other word in my vocabulary (after three Cuba Libres) to do the sound "justice".

505453 Webster Love

505485 Sims Morning

505475 Wilson Porter

505492 Pettif.Montmar

505474 Grappelli Meets

505446 Hawes Blues Bud

505480 Previn Sunset

505494 Konitz Body

505455 Gordon Body

505486 Ellington Feel

505496 Hines Blues in

505482 Russell Money

505483 Konitz Storyv

505465 Powell Essen

505488 Basie Class

505479 Hines Tour de

505472 Cole Anatomy

505476 Gordon Take the

505495 Wilson Blues for

505497 Pettif.Vienna

there is some new stuff at 2001, some Verve stuff at 3,99 each

DeFranco, Buddy/& Oscar Peterson PLAY GEORGE GERSHWIN

Ellington, Duke/& Johnny Hodges SIDE BY SIDE

Evans Trio, Bill AT TOWN HALL VOL. 1

Fitzgerald, Ella/& Louis Armstrong ELLA AND LOUIS AGAIN

Henderson, Joe LUSH LIFE

McLaughlin, John TIME REMEMBERED - John McLaughlin plays Bill Evans.

(don't know if these are all)

and also at 3,99 some of those Spanish Time Life Blue Note records such as

Baker, Chet THE BEST OF CHET BAKER SINGS

Carter, Benny ASPECTS

Davis, Miles BALLADS & BLUES

Jones, Thad DETROIT NEW YORK JUNCTION

Lovano, Joe TENOR LEGACY

McFerrin, Bobby/& Chick Corea BOBBY MCFERRIN & CHICK COREA

Scofield, John/& Pat Metheny I CAN SEE YOUR HOUSE FROM HERE

Tristano, Lennie/& Warne Marsh INTUITION

Young, Lester THE COMPLETE ALADDIN RECORDINGS VOL. 2

i think there was more stuff i didn't know in the lone hill/ fresh sound corner but i don't really have an overview on this