Herbie Mann

Jazz Kat

My favorite Mann - by far - is Bebop Synthesis/Yardbird Suite. He even plays tenor. The write-up from AllMusic is pretty right-on in my estimation. Excellent stuff.

--------------------------

Originally released in 1957 as Yardbird Suite, this is a great album capturing Herbie Mann in his pre-commercial success days, and featuring a 26-year old Phil Woods on alto sax. Also featured are guitarist Joe Puma and vibist Eddie Costa. If anyone were to ask for proof that Herbie Mann could play straight-ahead bop, this recording would be a good place to start. The thing that really sets this album apart from other Mann outings is his Lester Young-influenced tenor sax playing on two of the tracks. He proves to be a solid improviser on that instrument. But the best solos may belong to Woods who was really cooking on this session, displaying the Birdisms upon which he would build his reputation as a giant of the alto for decades to come. Mann himself was in top-notch form as well, and this recording has stood the test of time as one of his best.

My father had that Atlantic best-of of Mann's, and I liked some tunes there quite a lot, mainly both versions of "Comin' Home Baby".

I got "At the Village Gate" fairly early (probably one of my first 20 jazz CDs), then went on occasionally getting some more Mann.

When I hunted the Rhino/Avenue Bethlehem discs, three years or so back, I got both of these:

e544910fa28.jpgHerbie-MannMost.jpg

The first one has Herbie in two quartets with guitar (Joe Puma on one date), the second pairs Mann and Sam Most, both on flute exclusively (alto flute on some tunes, and again Joe Puma is on guitar).

Then in the recent ZYX/Zweitausendeins sale, I also got these:

f49476utdmf.jpgf47949bwo3n.jpgc561998g8r8.jpg

The first has a date with Bobby Jaspar (flute and tenor), Puma, Tommy Flanagan, that also expends to the second, which ends with a Jaspar date featuring Eddie Costa - very nice! The third one is a typical Prestige blowing date, Mal Waldron as usual at the piano, Kenny Burrell is featured, too, but what makes it a bit special is the presence of Charlie Rouse, in a setting rather unusual for him.

If you enjoy the flute, you can't go wrong with any of these...

And make sure you get some Frank Wess, too! Recommendations (two that are easy to find):

g33267r9k0d.jpge31262cdmsg.jpg

The one on the left is a classy quartet date with Flanagan, the second one a great twofer, including an octet session lead by Oliver Nelson and a quintet date with Thad Jones and Gildo Mahones.

600639.jpg

Bruno Carr gets his groove on. 'Nuff said.

I saw that band live - Herbie, Steve Marcus (in place of Roy Ayers), Sharrock, Vitous, and Carr - the latter a vastly underrated drummer, loose and totally his own man.

Bruno Carr was (is?) a groove unto himself. Highly underrated in-DEED!

Guest the mommy

"stone flute" is sort of mann's "bitches brew". it isn't that great but is space-ey and is definitely different than most other stuff in his discography.

"concerto grosso in D blues" is also atypical and from the same time period (late 60s). it's pretty cool-mann and his group in germany playing with an orchestra. a lot of the long title track sounds like various good movie sound track kind of things with forays into some mild avante jazz and the shorter tracks are very good.

both albums have sharrock/ayers/carr/vitous i am pretty sure.

"push push" is a bit overrated i think.

if you like disco, which i am sure you don't (aren't you a little young to be such a purist?) but "bird in a silver cage" is pretty decent disco featuring mann with people who know what they are doing.

So where can I hear that mo-fo if I don't feel like hunting rare & weird 70s Atlantics?

He's on a lot of Hank Crawford albums, most of which have been reissued on CD:

The soul clinic

From the heart

True blue

Dig these blues

Double cross

There's some other stuff I've got knocking around (I wish I had computerised the personnel of all my jazz albums). Will try and think of what there is.

MG

Guest the mommy

yeah i like bruno carr a lot and he seems to have disappeared.

i imagined he got into some sort of studio work i just don't know about-soul music or something. hopefully not something bad....

"stone flute" is sort of mann's "bitches brew". it isn't that great but is space-ey and is definitely different than most other stuff in his discography.

"concerto grosso in D blues" is also atypical and from the same time period (late 60s). it's pretty cool-mann and his group in germany playing with an orchestra. a lot of the long title track sounds like various good movie sound track kind of things with forays into some mild avante jazz and the shorter tracks are very good.

both albums have sharrock/ayers/carr/vitous i am pretty sure.

"push push" is a bit overrated i think.

if you like disco, which i am sure you don't (aren't you a little young to be such a purist?) but "bird in a silver cage" is pretty decent disco featuring mann with people who know what they are doing.

I beg your pardon, sir? Was that directed at me? :crazy:

Thanks for the Carr recommendations, I'll look for some of these Mann discs!

Hey, no one's mentioned any of my Herbie Mann favourites:

Memphis underground - with Coryell, Ayers, Sharrock and a Memphis rhythm section comprising Reggie Young, Bobby Emmons, Bobby Wood, Tommy Cogbill, Mike Leech and Gene Christman - great grooves! very commercial! Wonderful.

Mississippi gambler - with David Newman and same rhythm section plus Potato Valdes. More great grooves!

Deep Pocket - I think this was his last or last but one album - on Kokopelli, with Roy Ayers, Cornell Dupree, Les McCann, David Newman, Chuck Rainey, Richard Tee and Buddy Williams. Love this one!

MG

Guest the mommy

ubu, damn man. that is two threads/two misunderstandings.

i was talking to the thread starter, mr jazz cat.

because i have heard him in other threads making broad statements regarding his likes and dislikes genre-wise.

Edited by the mommy

ubu, damn man. that is two threads/two misunderstandings.

i was talking to the thread starter, mr jazz cat.

because i have heard him in other threads making broad statements regarding his likes and dislikes genre-wise.

ah, ok, apologies, then :blush:

your post sort of followed Sangrey's post following my Carr question, so I thought you were reacting to my post, too... I guess I was a bit too tired when starting to work this morning (hell, it was only a quarter too ten, much too early to not be in bed anymore! :D )

i imagined he got into some sort of studio work i just don't know about-soul music or something. hopefully not something bad....

He just retired from touring after doing about ten years with Herbie Mann, returned to his home town (Can't remember where that was). Bassist Clint Houston played with him there early in his career, and had nothing but praise for him.

On Mann's Windows Opened and part of Roy Ayers' Virgo Vibes he's the loosest.

Bruno Carr also played on

Lou Donaldson - Coleslaw

David Newman - Fathead comes on

David Newman - The many facets of

Ray Charles/Betty Carter (yes, he DID!)

Ray Charles - Genius + Soul = Jazz Live (Paris Oct '61)

Ray Charles - Rock + Soul = Genius (Next evening)

Ray Charles - Berlin 1962

Eddie Harris - Silver cycles

Nat Adderley - Autobiography

Curtis Amy - Mustang (another fabulous one - and Bruno makes it!)

MG

He just retired from touring after doing about ten years with Herbie Mann, returned to his home town (Can't remember where that was).

Denver?