Fresh Sound & Lone Hill Reissues Discussion

king ubu

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The (p) on a legally produced album refers to the year of first commercial production of the music, and it is from this date that the 50 or 70 years count down. The © refers to the date of copyright of the images and notes. Print copyright law applies to these and they are independent of the music. This is why so many reissues have avoided using artwork and notes in the past.

Incidentally, while we view bootlegs as benign for all sorts of reasons we need to remember that they are absolutely illegal full stop. Copyright in unissued material would only begin to count down from the moment of commercial issue. They are - quite obviously - important to us, whether as LP/CD issues or as downloads/torrents, but they are basically stolen from the artists.

Their latest batch of releases includes some rare stuff - like the Shirley Horn, The Laurindo Almeida, or the Freddie Gambrell. And they did the Russ Freeman Trios - now that the Mosaic Select is gone.

I wish they would do Clare Fischer's Pacific Jazz sessions, but Clare would sue them, for sure.

Good for him!

I don't see how he'd win. His Pacific Jazz recordings are in the public domain in the EU. Illegal here, yeah, but not there.

Their latest batch of releases includes some rare stuff - like the Shirley Horn, The Laurindo Almeida, or the Freddie Gambrell. And they did the Russ Freeman Trios - now that the Mosaic Select is gone.

I wish they would do Clare Fischer's Pacific Jazz sessions, but Clare would sue them, for sure.

Good for him!

I don't see how he'd win. His Pacific Jazz recordings are in the public domain in the EU.

No they aren't, but the good news is that every day, fewer and fewer people truckle before the rent-seeking monopolists...

Good for him!

I don't see how he'd win. His Pacific Jazz recordings are in the public domain in the EU.

No they aren't, but the good news is that every day, fewer and fewer people truckle before the rent-seeking monopolists...

(edited post)

Clare Fischer's Pacific Jazz recordings were made in 1962 and 1963, so they're not yet in the public domain in the EU. However, I believe that in Andorra, which is not part of the EU and where quite a few labels such as Definitive, Gambit and Lone Hill Jazz are based, they are in the public domain.

Good for him!

They're over the European 50-year limit, so Kevin is right, they are in the public domain in the EU.

No he isn't.

The earliest one was recorded in 1962.

Good for him!

They're over the European 50-year limit, so Kevin is right, they are in the public domain in the EU.

No he isn't.

The earliest one was recorded in 1962.

Chas is correct.

Edited by paul secor

trust me, the musicians are getting no money for most "legitimate" reissues either (because not everybody's as ethical as people like Chuck Nessa).

maybe we should start a fund and put a dollar into it every time we buy a Fresh Sound or other reissue and then send the money to a rightful heir - this way they'd actually see some cash.

Edited by AllenLowe

I was at the FNAC - biggest book/CD/video store in Brussels - last week, and the jazz section is completely dominated by those public domain reissues, especially those who copy the original artwork (still protected by copyright BTW). Most sickening is the fact that these are often more expensive than the original CDs (13 Euro vs 10 Euro), while their only advantage is the random addition of unrelated bonus tracks.

I think it's a serious case of unfair competition.

When a patent on a successful drug runs out (after 20-25 years), generics makers can copy the formula of the drug, but they are not allowed to copy the trademark of the well known drug. Consumers can still clearly make the distinction between the original and the (legitimate) copy. Generics are also cheaper than the original drugs, because they have the subjective disadvantage of being a copy.

Here we have public domain CDs reproducing the artwork of "Time out" and other classics where one needs to look twice at the back of the CD to find out that's it's not an official reissue by the original label. Given the prominent display in stores here (and the availability in US stores where they are in fact illegal) and the rather high price, many non-experts will think these are some sort of new "deluxe* reissues.

Count me in... The only time I buy their stuff is when I'm sure (as sure as possible) that what I want is OOP in the original format/label... :unsure: :unsure:

trust me, the musicians are getting no money for most "legitimate" reissues either (because not everybody's as ethical as people like Chuck Nessa).

maybe we should start a fund and put a dollar into it every time we buy a Fresh Sound or other reissue and then send the money to a rightful heir - this way they'd actually see some cash.

When a patent on a successful drug runs out (after 20-25 years), generics makers can copy the formula of the drug, but they are not allowed to copy the trademark of the well known drug. Consumers can still clearly make the distinction between the original and the (legitimate) copy. Generics are also cheaper than the original drugs, because they have the subjective disadvantage of being a copy.

No.

When generic drugs are cheaper it's because, not having any R&D costs, and hence no compensatory patents which eliminate competition, the companies that make them can't collect monopoly rents. "Subjective disadvantage" carries no explanatory weight whatsoever in the pricing of generic drugs.

I was at the FNAC - biggest book/CD/video store in Brussels - last week, and the jazz section is completely dominated by those public domain reissues, especially those who copy the original artwork (still protected by copyright BTW). Most sickening is the fact that these are often more expensive than the original CDs (13 Euro vs 10 Euro), while their only advantage is the random addition of unrelated bonus tracks.

I think it's a serious case of unfair competition.

Here we have public domain CDs reproducing the artwork of "Time out" and other classics where one needs to look twice at the back of the CD to find out that's it's not an official reissue by the original label. Given the prominent display in stores here (and the availability in US stores where they are in fact illegal) and the rather high price, many non-experts will think these are some sort of new "deluxe* reissues.

Yeah, I find this incredibly annoying as well. It's one thing to reissue some obscure stuff that

the majors didn't bother to put out on CD (maybe except in Japan), but right now these pirated

versions of really popular stuff like Kind of Blue and Time Out are really clogging up the stores

and it's getting increasingly difficult to tell a quality official release from the pirated copy. :angry:

No.

When generic drugs are cheaper it's because, not having any R&D costs, and hence no compensatory patents which eliminate competition, the companies that make them can't collect monopoly rents. "Subjective disadvantage" carries no explanatory weight whatsoever in the pricing of generic drugs.

Let's phrase it differently then.

A drug seller will ask the highest price he can get on the market, whatever his costs are.

Generics are cheaper because the maker can't ask the same price as the original, because at identical price, the buyer will prefer the original (although it may not be better than the generic).

If the public domain CDs had to use a generic title and cover, they would not look as interesting, and the buyer would prefer the original CDs, if the music content and price is the same. Many would also prefer to buy the original "Kind of blue" instead of a "Miles Davis 1959" CD even if the later contained bonus material.

No.

A drug seller will ask the highest price he can get on the market, whatever his costs are.

Generics are cheaper because the maker can't ask the same price as the original, because at identical price, the buyer will prefer the original (although it may not be better than the generic).

Look, a generic drug is fungible in a way a generic CD is not, and so any putative preference for "original" as opposed to "copy" with respect to the latter, cannot be analogized to the former.

No.

Look, a generic drug is fungible in a way a generic CD is not, and so any putative preference for "original" as opposed to "copy" with respect to the latter, cannot be analogized to the former.

The high price of a brand name may indeed be related to monopoly rents from a patent. But once the patent runs out, the difference in price should be explained primarily by the willingness to pay of consumers.

Edited by John L