Fresh Sound & Lone Hill Reissues Discussion

king ubu

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a thread about it, but I can't seem to find it...

61GEkAKKYuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Pictured above is FSRCD 539 which is titled Something New, Something Blue + Swinging 'guys & Dolls' (2 Lp On 1 Cd) Stereo Edition.

Then there's this one (mono version? - it's without the Guys & Dolls bonus): Something New, Something Blue (FSRCD 381).

Is there really a difference between the two? Both seem to be still in print... the bonus would be nice, I assume, but I don't care too much for it. Anyone has compared the two versions?

Btw, I don't know if the fact that there are two versions was discussed in the other thread.

There was a thread about it, but I can't seem to find it...

61GEkAKKYuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Pictured above is FSRCD 539 which is titled Something New, Something Blue + Swinging 'guys & Dolls' (2 Lp On 1 Cd) Stereo Edition.

Then there's this one (mono version? - it's without the Guys & Dolls bonus): Something New, Something Blue (FSRCD 381).

Is there really a difference between the two? Both seem to be still in print... the bonus would be nice, I assume, but I don't care too much for it. Anyone has compared the two versions?

Btw, I don't know if the fact that there are two versions was discussed in the other thread.

I've nothing much against Fresh Sound but they have used this ploy before, reissueing a an available cd with extra tracks, Teddy Charles mentioned elsewhere here is an example. Looking at the Guys and Dolls lineup I wouldn't mind giving it a listen but I'm not sure I want to buy Something Blue again. Nevertheless I'd be interested to hear comments about th GUys and Dolls album.

I usually don't buy Lonehill stuff, but I got the Freddie Redd in Sweden figuring this one be its one and only CD incarnation ever.

The piano sounds bad on this. Was the original LP like that?

Bertrand.

P.S. Freddie returns to Sweden in March. Something he does every 20-30 years!

I usually don't buy Lonehill stuff, but I got the Freddie Redd in Sweden figuring this one be its one and only CD incarnation ever.

The piano sounds bad on this. Was the original LP like that?

Bertrand.

P.S. Freddie returns to Sweden in March. Something he does every 20-30 years!

I have a Japanese Baybridge lp of this. The piano sound isn't that great, rather thin and flat but but listenable. I've heard much worse.

Edited by JohnS

As an aspiring Paul Chambers completist, I am having mixed thoughts about a couple of the Fresh Sound/Lonehill offers. I am wondering whether I should spring for the two-fer of Wynton Kelly's It's All Right/Undiluted available on Lonehill. I'm not sure if Undiluted has ever received a CD release, but the It's All Right album has only been released on CD through Japan (so far as I can tell) and it would seem to cost me at least $30 to get it, whereas the 2-fer on Lonehill is half that price. Would it be better to get the Lonehill release or to get the It's All Right Japan release and then maybe track down a vinyl copy of Undiluted?

I have similar qualms about the Complete Recordings of Jimmy Cleveland. I need to get the Cleveland Style release and can only find expensive Japanese pressings. But for much less I could get the Lonehill...

I generally don't like these European poachers but I'm tempted to bend the rules a little bit....

"Introducing Jimmy Cleveland" and "It's All Right" by Wynton Kelly were both also part of the long-gone Verve Elite Edition CD series. The Cleveland is mighty fine (I *did* buy the Lonehill 2CD set but of course kept the VEE), the Kelly is nice, groovy... but rather on the light and easy side.

• 2 weeks later...

Undiluted by Wynton Kelly was available on a cardboard sleeve issue from Japan (universal) as far as I remember a while ago (quite a few years ago at least). It will /should not be impossible if not a little pricey to get hold of..even for US or EU poachers :smirk:

Here is a picture of one copy that I found anyway

post-269-129717546223_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

- the Jazz Factory version of the Quintet's "Jazz at Massey Hall" (Debut/OJC/Fantasy/Concorde)

Ok, I am now intrigued by this whole thing. As far as I can tell, the remastered Fantasy CD still has only 6 tracks. I can't tell from the description whether it still has the Mingus overdubs or not.

The Jazz Factory claims to have removed overdubs and has 14 tracks. It came out around 2004.

There is something called Jazz at Massey Hall from 101 Distribution with 15 tracks, which came out in 2007 (so maybe they ripped off Jazz Factory?). It also claims to have removed the overdubs.

So I guess I am baffled as to where these PD labels could have come up with a way to get at the original tapes. What is the official release? And why can't I seem to find any "legit" release with more than 6 tracks?

Undiluted by Wynton Kelly was available on a cardboard sleeve issue from Japan (universal) as far as I remember a while ago (quite a few years ago at least). It will /should not be impossible if not a little pricey to get hold of..even for US or EU poachers :smirk:

Here is a picture of one copy that I found anyway

I know it's not the same, but Undiluted is available as a MP3 download at Amazon.

- the Jazz Factory version of the Quintet's "Jazz at Massey Hall" (Debut/OJC/Fantasy/Concorde)

Ok, I am now intrigued by this whole thing. As far as I can tell, the remastered Fantasy CD still has only 6 tracks. I can't tell from the description whether it still has the Mingus overdubs or not.

The Jazz Factory claims to have removed overdubs and has 14 tracks. It came out around 2004.

There is something called Jazz at Massey Hall from 101 Distribution with 15 tracks, which came out in 2007 (so maybe they ripped off Jazz Factory?). It also claims to have removed the overdubs.

So I guess I am baffled as to where these PD labels could have come up with a way to get at the original tapes. What is the official release? And why can't I seem to find any "legit" release with more than 6 tracks?

The original release of the non-overdubbed tracks was on this box:

51zqvAnvUSL._AA300_.jpg

The original release of the non-overdubbed tracks was on this box:

51zqvAnvUSL._AA300_.jpg

Ok, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks. Always been kind of interested in this set; maybe one day I will break down and get it.

They wouldn't lie would they? Perhaps they added the Bud Powell Trio tracks from the same concert.

They wouldn't lie would they? Perhaps they added the Bud Powell Trio tracks from the same concert.

Well, Amazon reviewers are not the sharpest crayons in the box, but I think even they would have noticed that 8 tracks didn't have any horns. It probably is from the Debut box.

Anyway, perhaps back on track, I came across this Junior Mance two-fer from Fresh Sound:

Mance 2-fer

What's particularly intriguing is it is clearly still under copyright (recorded as late as 1973) and they claim (or at least strongly imply) that they had Mance's blessing to go ahead (I'm certainly unclear whether he could simply waive rights or not). Oh so intriguing. Anyway, it doesn't look essential, but still an interesting pairing.

If this document is to be trusted, since 1999 there is a 50 year protection for performers as well as producers also in Andorra, so the original producer/rightsholder would have to give his permission to a reissue. Previously, I've seen references to a shorter duration of neighboring rights on Andorra, but apparently they apply the same durations as the EU.

One retailer, when asked about these problems, said it was a simple question of costs for a legal inquiry against the profit from licenses after they win a trial. How much does it cost an American label to go to court in Europe about licensing fees of a CD selling less than 1000 copies?

At least that was what he heard from label executives ...

• 6 years later...

I dug up this old thread mainly because I've been interested in acquiring some of there titles. The Compositions of Bobby Scott and the Benny Bailey In Sweden are just two recent purchases I've made. I've already taken notes of some of the suggestions in this very lengthy thread for future purchases. I can't say if anyone might be interested in reviving this thread. But I would certainly welcome peoples input since 6 years have passed since the last posting.

I will say that the sound of these releases has generally improved this decade, though I still prefer the sound of earlier cds from other releases when I can compare (for example I think the Scott material sounds much better from Japan).

I've been enjoying the two Jeri Southern boxes, which are very well collated and annotated and sound very good. They include single releases that are not readily available anywhere else digitally. . . a good thing. Southern has become a real favorite of mine over the years.

I actually made purchase of the Scott release from the recent obscurities thread. I really enjoy this release. Some good musicians on this date too.

A few releases I've been looking at recently which I haven't seen prior discussion that I would enjoy hearing input on are as follows:

Jazz Mission to Moscow Plus Soviet Jazz Themes & Jazz at Liberty. Top U.S. Jazzmen During the Cold War 1962- 1963

Art Pepper Live At Donte's 1968                           

6 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Is Lonehill out of business? I cannot find any new releases, but see many of their reissues appear on other labels with identical tracklists. Some out of print items seem to fetch high prices on amazon.

My impression is that Lonehill is just one of a whole stable of labels that Catalan entrepreneur Jordi Pujol operates. I see no sign that he's gone out of business.

This page from his website gives you the idea:

https://www.freshsoundrecords.com/labels