Lee Morgan's T. Perchard biography

michel1969

are u nuts, charisma is the best by far. its like, everything thats good about cornbread, except even better. another underated date is "the rajah"-- hank plays a killin extended solo on that too

so caramba was #3, sidewiner, im assuming was his #1, whats #2? cornbread? i dont know- i remember seeing cornbread on a lot of liberty sleeve jackets, right next to the ventures and bonnie guitar

'the RVG Rumproller's previously unreleased version of Venus de Mildew'

Is there an alternAte of this on The Rumproller CD?' Venus di Mildew' was already on the McMaster version of this CD, and probably on some Japanese LP as well before that.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

are u nuts, charisma is the best by far. its like, everything thats good about cornbread, except even better. another underated date is "the rajah"-- hank plays a killin extended solo on that too

so caramba was #3, sidewiner, im assuming was his #1, whats #2? cornbread? i dont know- i remember seeing cornbread on a lot of liberty sleeve jackets, right next to the ventures and bonnie guitar

No - according to the book 'Cornbread' didn't sell so well. 'Search For The New Land' was number 2.

I listen to the Blue Note Lighthouse and Last Session more than any other Lee Morgan albums. Chops can be overrated.

There's a later recording of Ted Curson where he plays Lin's Garden, and you can hear him struggle to play the theme, but the struggle just adds to the emotional impact. I can't be absolutely sure he didn't mean it that way, but it doesn't matter.

Bolstered, of course, by the presence of Billy Harper, who by that time was coming into his own as not only a tremendous saxophonist but also a fine composer. The particular treatments of Harper compositions on that album, IMO, surpass alternate versions on the saxophonist's solo albums--just goes to show what a sympathetic and adventurous band can accomplish (and there were certainly a few of those over the course of LM's recorded career, although just as many--and more--on the opposite end of things...).

Agreed - The version of the wonderful "Capra Black" on Last Session is incredible, much stronger than even the title track version on Harper's first album. I have great respect for Scott Yanow's AMG reviews in general, but he really misses the boat on this album somehow.

Edited by felser

• 1 year later...