Lew Tabackin

(BB)

I recently picked up Lew Tabackin Trio ~ Black and Tan Fantasy.

Lew on tenor for 5 tracks and flute for 2

John Heard on bass

Billy Higgins on drums

I just can't seem to get enough of this one, especially Lew on tenor. The jacket notes describe his tenor playing as “wild and woolly”, which I would say sums it up nicely.

Are all his small group albums this good?

It seems like he usually plays both flute & tenor, which of his other sides are heavy on the tenor tracks?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

Edited by (BB)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything he recorded with Toshiko Akiyoshi worth listening.

I agree! I particularly like their big band recordings from the 1970's on RCA. Unfortunately they are only available as Japanese imports at the moment but are well worth seeking out.

Having said that I also enjoy his Concord recordings from the 1990's: 'I'll be seeing you', 'What a little moonlight can do' & 'Tenority'. Of the three I prefer 'Tenority' but they are all excellent sessions

One of Lew's latest CDs, which I think is available from his web site at Jazz Corner, is another one with Lew in a killer trio. I may like it just a bit more than "Black & Tan Fantasy". This thread just reminded me that I recently picked up an old LT trio LP and I've forgotten to spin it! I'll have to rectify that this weekend.

BTW, that "Tenuki's Night Out" CD is a Japanse import, complete with obi (when I got one in). Quite a steal at $16.

Kevin

lewtabackin338067.jpg

This album, "Rites of Pan", is a great one. It is my favorite Tabackin album. It cries out to be reissued on CD. There is some seriously great and beautiful music on this album.

Of the Akiyoshi-Tabackin Big Band albums, I think that Lew is heard to great advantage on "Long Yellow Road" and "Farewell"--with Mingus' silhouette on the cover.

The Lew Tabackin / Phil Woods CD is excellent!

d14775hn6vn.jpg

Especially the first song, as I recall--Phil and Lew really tear it up.

The album's cover art must set a record for the most reeds pictured on an album cover.

I can vouch for that one too. For some reason when I glance at the cover I think I'm seeing really bad french fries.

• 1 month later...

I like Tenor Gladness with Warne Marsh despite what Chamberlain has to say about the date.

Just arrived in the mail today, I've only listened to it once through and really loving it. So far Basic #1 is the track that really stood out and put a smile on my face. :D

Bill

• 14 years later...