Lew Tabackin

(BB)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, JSngry said:

NDQxNi5qcGVn.jpeg

It suffers from Concord Syndrome, but Tabackin himself is on point.

What syndrome's that?

What are the symptoms?

8 minutes ago, mr jazz said:

Try Desert Lady and Pyramid.

Thanks. For some reason I thought that they were T-A Big Band records but I see that they ain't.

Thank you everyone!

Concord Syndrome = a sound that has the "oomph" removed. The symptoms are, you know, you're liking the record well enough, but it just needs a little more "oomph". It's not necessarily the players, although Concord has plenty of records where they don't help it along any.

I don't know how they did it, wish I did, wish everybody did, so they wouldn't do it themselves.

1 hour ago, Dmitry said:

ZWc.jpeg

I don't think this was ever put on CD, was it? Shame it isn't. That's prime Lew.

Good call, Dmitry.  Yes, outstanding. :tup 

No pianist.  Sax trio!

CORRECTION:
Bill Goodwin is the drummer on this recording, not Manne.  I mis-remembered and the Discogs entry incorrectly lists Manne (for the IC issue).  The back cover of the Inner City LP actually states that Goodwin is the drummer.

ZWc.jpeg

Still, primo Tabackin!  ;) 

Edited by HutchFan

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

I like the OG RCA cover on that one. Misses being a late 60s Prestige Don Schlitten cover by just that much!

The original cover is somewhat generic, too mid-1960s Prestige-like for me. The IC cover is a statement: just TABACKIN, and that's how we want you to have it. No inhibiting titles, sidemen, location, etc.; nothing distractive in the background, just the  sharp, high /f-stop photo of the man and his axe. I like the turquoise-green dress shirt, which is matched by the same-colored title, and the record label logo. It gels. 
Also, note the clever fonts they used for the title lettering; and another subtle touch, the back cover vignette incorporates the IC logo into itself. 

Edited by Dmitry

36 minutes ago, Milestones said:

Another good one is Angelica--a pianoless quartet.  It's Randy Brecker or Tiger Okoshi on trumpet, Ray Drummond on bass, and Dannie Richmond on drums.

Tabackin needs higher visibility/recognition. 

That particular CD took me about 10 years to find for a decent price. It is a pretty good date.

1 hour ago, Dmitry said:

The original cover is somewhat generic, too mid-1960s Prestige-like for me. The IC cover is a statement: just TABACKIN, and that's how we want you to have it. No inhibiting titles, sidemen, location, etc.; nothing distractive in the background, just the  sharp, high /f-stop photo of the man and his axe. I like the turquoise-green dress shirt, which is matched by the same-colored title, and the record label logo. It gels. 
Also, note the clever fonts they used for the title lettering; and another subtle touch, the back cover vignette incorporates the IC logo into itself. 

Yeah, it looks like a Bobby Sherman lunch box for jazz geeks. :g

Inner City did better when they just stuck with the OG covers of the stuff the leased (of which there were buttloads!).

Personally, I prefer when album covers give a bit of helpful information. Especially the names of key sidemen.

In a record shop you can turn the cover over to get information on personnel, tunes, etc. But on the computer, iPad, or iPhone,  a picture of an album cover with nothing but the name of the leader and title can unsatisfying (to me). 

3 minutes ago, Milestones said:

You seem surprised by that.

No, just out of the blue for me. I only associated him with a big band, and one that I didn't listen to much if at all. No reason for that other than the embarrassment of riches available to the new-ish jazz listener make it easy to overlook artists. Unfortunately apple music doesn't have much of his small group sessions...

Looks like he's touring with his trio this year: https://www.lewtabackin.com/itinerary.html

And he just wrapped up some shows at Birdland in NYC. The second show on 1/7, per his website, included "Lew Tabackin Trio plus very special, mystery guest, tenor saxophonist. Not at liberty to give his name, but should be an amazing encounter"

Anyone know who that was? Or did it not even happen?

Edited by Dub Modal

I was pretty upset that his concerts at the Side Door scheduled for January 14 and 15, was postponed, with no apparent replacement date as of yet.  I was sent a refund for our tickets. Hoping to see him this year!

7 hours ago, JSngry said:

Yeah, it looks like a Bobby Sherman lunch box for jazz geeks. :g

Inner City did better when they just stuck with the OG covers of the stuff the leased (of which there were buttloads!).

I like Lew's style. How many of you would look good in a turquoise dress shirt? He did! 

I've seen Lew live many times and he plays his ass off. I always smile when he really digs down deep for a note and stomps his foot. It's like his exclamation point.

I highly recommend "Tanuki's Night Out". Lew in trio.

It looks like all of the tracks are up on YouTube and 2 of them are streaming on Amazon Prime.