Upcoming 8 CD Duke Ellington box (40s)

EKE BBB

Just got these amazing news from the duke-lym list (bold letters are mine):

(...) 8-CD Duke Ellington box set (...).

It will be released in USA on March 6 and available from our

website from Feb. 15.

"Duke Ellington in the Forties CD box with 40 page illustrated booklet - The Duke Box includes more than eight hours of music from what many consider the greatest decade (1940s) of the greatest orchestra in the history of jazz. This 8CD box set captures Duke Ellington and his musicians, including Johnny Hodges, Ben Webster, Lawrence Brown, “Tricky†Sam Nanton, Harry Carney, Rex Stewart, Barney Bigard and Jimmy Blanton, live in dance halls, night clubs, concert halls and radio stations. We are lucky indeed that these slice-of-life documents survive, or were made in the first place, such as the unique Fargo dance date (what was captured that long night is a veritable treasure trove of music) and hearing it chronologically places this grand music in a very special and illuminating perspective. All your favorite Ellington standards (including Sophisticated Lady, Mood Indigo, “C†Jam Blues, Don’t Get Around Much Anymore and Do Nothing ‘Till You Hear From Me) are here as well as some rare tracks that even seasoned Ellingtonians will encounter for the first time. The accompanying 40 page illustrated booklet includes liner notes by Dan Morgenstern and photographs by Herman Leonard and William Gottlieb.

Artist: Duke Ellington Title: The Duke Box UPC: 7171 01 860029."

:excited::excited::excited:

Edited by EKE BBB

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lon, I had a similar reaction. I'd rather see them issue the long-projected Cotton Club set, or continue the DETS series.

However, there is a wealth of 40's material, and a lot of it not issued, and potentially this could be really nice. The inclusion of the already issued Fargo material is not a good sign, though.

Lon, I had a similar reaction. I'd rather see them issue the long-projected Cotton Club set, or continue the DETS series.

However, there is a wealth of 40's material, and a lot of it not issued, and potentially this could be really nice. The inclusion of the already issued Fargo material is not a good sign, though.

My fear is that it's going to be a lot more than the Fargo that is duplicated. It could include other previously released Storyville issues, and material tacked on the volumes of DETS. It just feels like a wrong move for those who have been supporting the Ducal Storyville releases all this time. I really don't care a fig about Morganstern notes and photos at this point.

I also have two copies of the Fargo concert -among them the Storyville special edition- and agree that it's not a good decission for us Ellington collectors to include it in this set but, apart from this and the Hurricane (1943) and Hollywood Empire (1949) concerts, which other 40s live sets have been issued on Storyville/Jazz Unlimited... not counting the DETS discs and the Radio Years 40-45 Jazz Unlimited disc?

If that's all, this would make 4 CDs worth of new material.

There is also the Boston concert with Blanton that has been on CD before.

I will wait until I see a price tag. Then I will probably join the complainers. :)

Is that the 1939-40 date, then? I just ordered that last week (along with the DAY BY DAY, FILM BY FILM book... finally broke down, since I'm such a Dukeophile). Yeah, I'll definitely need to take a look at the set list for this one. I already have the Hurricane 1943 broadcast (as well as three extra CD-Rs of material from that stand) and the Fargo set. After I ordered I e-mailed Mona again & asked for news of the DETS series, but have gotten no reply.

This new collection will be a great deal, though, for folks who don't have any of that music.

Got a reply from Mona--the DETS volumes have been delayed due to the new 8-CD set, but she says V. 13 will be out later this year.

Can someone explain what the "DETS volumes" are?

I'm especially interested in 30s/40s Ellington live recordings, radio transcriptions, etc., but I'm not especially knowledgeable about esoteric labels that might be reissuing that sort of thing.

TIA for your help.

Got a reply from Mona--the DETS volumes have been delayed due to the new 8-CD set, but she says V. 13 will be out later this year.

Can someone explain what the "DETS volumes" are?

I'm especially interested in 30s/40s Ellington live recordings, radio transcriptions, etc., but I'm not especially knowledgeable about esoteric labels that might be reissuing that sort of thing.

TIA for your help.

DETS stands for Duke Ellington Treasury Shows. And, to my knowledge, Storyville Records has no relation to esoterism.

:)