Crocodile Hunter

I watch this show with my son all the time. It's a great nature show, sometimes it get's old...but his enthusiasm for animals of all kinds is contageous!!!

Makes me realize how boring the old "Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom" was when I was a kid. <_<:D

Edited by Soul Stream

:tup

Great show! My kids love it, too.

Our favorite episode is the one when he's in a desert somewhere, trying to grab a "spitting cobra". He makes a big deal about putting on his "sunnies", meanwhile this highly poisonous snake is coiled up, defending himself from this crazy Australian dude. Hilarious!

I'm just glad that in addition to being very entertaining, he's also very knowledgable. Kids always seem to learn something from that show.

...And his wife is kind of a babe, too. Nothing like cute, crocodile-wrestling women to keep things interesting for dad, too.

;) B)

Our favorite episode is the one when he's in a desert somewhere, trying to grab a "spitting cobra".  He makes a big deal about putting on his "sunnies", meanwhile this highly poisonous snake is coiled up, defending himself from this crazy Australian dude.  Hilarious!

:D Mine too... Is it the one where the cobra spits on his face at least a dozen times, but he just tries to grab the snake once more? In the end he's so soaked in venom that he has to borrow some water from nearby Masais (!!?)...

Blimey!

Edited by Kari S

I have seen just bits of this idiot, but the impression I get is that his "entertainment value" lies in goading animals into defensive action. It seems really sad - cringe-inducing, in fact. Pathetic.

And, no doubt, like the Crocodile Dundee stuff, this will no doubt give very monodimensional impressions of Australia to millions around the world who believe evertything they see/hear on a screen.

Gimme a break - I live in a city of 3 million that has more good coffee than the whole of the US combined! B)

Edited by kenny weir

I know I'm in the minority, but I find this guy rather arrogant and offensive. I have no doubt he cares about the animal kingdom. However, too often he entertains by making animals defend themselves. The show with the cobra and his habit of grabbing crocs are just two examples. I prefer a less interactive, more naturalistic approach to observing animals, whom I respect enormously. BTW, I also boycott horse and dog racing and circuses that use animals. Just call me a bleeding-heart, tree-hugging, animal-loving liberal. :w

P.S. Gee, guess I'm not the only one, as Kenny posted his comments while I was proof-reading my post.

Edited by jazzshrink

:D Mine too... Is it the one where the cobra spits on his face at least a dozen times, but he just tries to grab the snake once more?

Crikey! That's the one!

I guess I have to agree with kenny & jazzshrink -- the guy is an idiot, but his show can be entertaining and interesting to watch with the kids. With all the other crap on TV, this is one show I've always felt safe letting the them watch. Jeff Corwin's show is also a big hit here.

It's always appeared to me that he (Steve Irwin) has a genuine love and respect for the animals he deals with, but it's also obvious he's *very* aware of the type of programming that improves his ratings.

I don't recall any episode of croc-grabbing that was purely gratuitous -- he usually explains the reasons for needing to move the animal. I'll have to watch closer next time...

Jeff Corwin's more geared towards an older demographic than 7 year olds I believe. Unless that 7 year old likes a movie reference every 10 minutes mixed in with his nature show. ;) .

I think the Crocodile Hunter is a great show for kids interested in animals. Sure, like ALL nature shows, it's focus is a bit too much on apex predators like Crocs, Sharks, Snakes, ect. Steve Irwin is a very aggresive, hands-on guy. Imho there are really only two kinds of animal shows....those where the host gets in close, and those where the cameramen are relatively far away and let nature take it's course. Both can be great television.

Edited by Soul Stream

The guy cracks me up with enthusiasm alone, and is impressively unafraid in extremely dangerous situations. In addition, in one of the early episodes he can be seen surfing his ass off on some good-sized waves. Gotta respect that.

Another memorable episode: Steve and his wife Teri repelled down into a 100 foot deep chasm. Climbing out, Teri gets stuck near the top and panics, threatening to pull them both to a fall that could certainly have resulted in death. Holding on by one arm he picked Teri up with his other arm in an incredible show of strength and saved them both. Steve is nails. Safe at the top right after that gut-wrenching moment Teri gets bit on the knee by a snake, which was luckily not poisonous. Rough time for Teri!

The guy cracks me up with enthusiasm alone, and is impressively unafraid in extremely dangerous situations. In addition, in one of the early episodes he can be seen surfing his ass off on some good-sized waves. Gotta respect that.

Another memorable episode: Steve and his wife Teri repelled down into a 100 foot deep chasm. Climbing out, Teri gets stuck near the top and panics, threatening to pull them both to a fall that could certainly have resulted in death. Holding on by one arm he picked Teri up with his other arm in an incredible show of strength and saved them both. Steve is nails. Safe at the top right after that gut-wrenching moment Teri gets bit on the knee by a snake, which was luckily not poisonous. Rough time for Teri!

That was a GREAT episode!!! By the way Teri IS a babe, but that hairstyle has got to go....it's holding her babe-ness back to 1983. B)

I think the fellah is allright--well in Aussie language--Awwwrright!. :P Never been able to actually sit through an entire episode as I don't find it particularly geared towards my age bracket, but I don't see anything wrong if he stirs up a critter or two. I guess kids have to learn how dangerous these animals can be.

The guy cracks me up with enthusiasm alone, and is impressively unafraid in extremely dangerous situations.  In addition, in one of the early episodes he can be seen surfing his ass off on some good-sized waves.  Gotta respect that.

Another memorable episode: Steve and his wife Teri repelled down into a 100 foot deep chasm.  Climbing out, Teri gets stuck near the top and panics, threatening to pull them both to a fall that could certainly have resulted in death.  Holding on by one arm he picked Teri up with his other arm in an incredible show of strength and saved them both.  Steve is nails.  Safe at the top right after that gut-wrenching moment Teri gets bit on the knee by a snake, which was luckily not poisonous.  Rough time for Teri!

That was a GREAT episode!!! By the way Teri IS a babe, but that hairstyle has got to go....it's holding her babe-ness back to 1983. B)

Her hairdo, and her Fisher-Price My First Make-Up Kit look. :g

The guy cracks me up with enthusiasm alone, and is impressively unafraid in extremely dangerous situations.  In addition, in one of the early episodes he can be seen surfing his ass off on some good-sized waves.  Gotta respect that.

Another memorable episode: Steve and his wife Teri repelled down into a 100 foot deep chasm.  Climbing out, Teri gets stuck near the top and panics, threatening to pull them both to a fall that could certainly have resulted in death.  Holding on by one arm he picked Teri up with his other arm in an incredible show of strength and saved them both.  Steve is nails.  Safe at the top right after that gut-wrenching moment Teri gets bit on the knee by a snake, which was luckily not poisonous.  Rough time for Teri!

Her hairdo, and her Fisher-Price My First Make-Up Kit look. :g

Yes! Come to think of it, her AND Steve need some stylists or SOMETHING on their hair. Steve seems to favor the mullet and so does she.