Mosaic Miles Davis at Blackhawk

From the Mosaic website:

Miles Davis: Complete At The Blackhawk (#220)

"Please click the title for more information. The sets have been pressed and are loading on a truck from the pressing plant. We expect to ship the sets from our warehouse September 3rd and 4th. "

I can hardly wait.

• 2 months later...

I’ve been listening to the Columbia CD version of Miles at the Black Hawk this evening. All the players play very well. Miles on the trumpet, Mobley on the saxophone, Wynton Kelly on the piano, Paul Chambers on the bass, and Jimmy Cobb on the drums. These are very good sessions, well played by all involved.

I’ve read that Miles had some beef about Mobley. Mobley plays at his Hank-Mobley-best on these live dates.

What did Miles expect from Mobley, other than… errr… Mobley? What was Miles’ major malfunction?

My take on this is that Mobley had the misfortune of being in the band during that after-Trane-before-Shorter period where Miles apparently couldn't find the "right fit" for the quintet.

George Coleman also was dissed by Miles at times. Hell, EVERYBODY was dissed by Miles at one time or another. If you look at what came after the Blackhawk quintet you can see that the BH recordings documented the end of yet another chapter. Miles was on the verge of something radically different and probably felt he had to move on musically, hence his dissatisfaction with two very competent (to say the least) tenor players.

That, and Miles was just an @$$hole sometimes. B)