LF: 1987 German Impulse! CD reissues

J.A.W.

I'm looking for the 1987 German Impulse! CD reissues listed below in excellent or better condition. Maybe European members can help me.

Credit-card-funded PayPal and euro-zone electronic bank transfers are my only payment options.

Please PM me if you're selling any or know where I can get them at reasonable prices (I'm not prepared to pay an awful lot for these).

254 624-2 Art Blakey - Art Blakey!!!!! Jazz Messengers!!!!!

254 608-2 John Coltrane - Crescent

254 609-2 John Coltrane - Coltrane

254 619-2 John Coltrane - The John Coltrane Quartet Plays

254 627-2 John Coltrane - Coltrane "Live" at the Village Vanguard (the 1961 sessions)

254 628-2 John Coltrane - Impressions

254 629-2 John Coltrane - Selflessness

254 630-2 John Coltrane - Sun Ship

254 637-2 John Coltrane - Live at Birdland

254 638-2 John Coltrane - Africa/Brass

254 639-2 John Coltrane - The Other Village Vanguard Tapes (2CD-set)

254 641-2 John Coltrane - The Mastery of John Coltrane, Vol.1: Feelin' Good

254 567-2 John Coltrane - A Love Supreme

254 648-2 John Coltrane - Africa/Brass, Vol.2

254 649-2 John Coltrane - The Mastery of John Coltrane, Vol.3: The Jupiter Variations (2CD-set)

254 650-2 John Coltrane - The Mastery of John Coltrane, Vol.4: Trane's Mode (2CD-set)

254 615-2 Gil Evans - Out of the Cool

254 562-2 Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady

254 631-2 Oliver Nelson - The Blues and the Abstract Truth

254 613-2 Sonny Rollins - Sonny Rollins on Impulse!

254 651-2 Sonny Rollins - Alfie

254 644-2 Archie Shepp - Four for Trane

254 614-2 McCoy Tyner - Nights of Ballads and Blues

254 652-2 McCoy Tyner - Reaching Fourth

Edited by J.A.W.

I got that with booklet and disk in mint condition Hans... the jewel case is not that good. In case of interest (trade possible as well) please PM me. I still have the village vanguard three track as duplicate here but without the booklet but pure CD so maybe that is not what you're looking for

Best regards, Oliver

Edited by tjobbe

I got that with booklet and disk in mint condition Hans... the jewel case is not that good. In case of interest (trade possible as well) please PM me. I still have the village vanguard three track as duplicate here but without the booklet but pure CD so maybe that is not what you're looking for

Best regards, Oliver

Replied by PM.

so is there any difference in these German pressings and the MCA pressings (also 1987) as distributed in Euroland by BMG? And what's with the GRP pressings of the early 90s? New masters?

The first U.S. MCA Impulse! pressings (MCAD-5XXX) were released in 1986 and 1987. I don't know if there are any sonic differences between that series and the 1987 German Impulse! releases, but according to one of my German contacts who compared both issues of Gil Evans' Out of the Cool and Art Blakey's Art Blakey!!!!! Jazz Messengers!!!!! there are significant differences.

Some of the 1991 GRP Impulse! reissues sounded to me as if noise reduction was applied; I sold most of that series a long time ago.

Edited by J.A.W.

Hans,

I sold my German 1987 Out of the cool version recently after I compared it to the Japaneses version (guess who that sold to me :D )

Sonically that was definitely worse than the japanese one.

I meanwhile checked my Inpluses and found others (not for sale of course ;) ) which are the Blakey, the Coltrane&Ellington, the Jarrett Treasure Island and the Coltrane Ascencion being manufacture at Record Service GmbH Alsdorf and from 1987.

Cheers, Oliver

Hans,

I sold my German 1987 Out of the cool version recently after I compared it to the Japaneses version (guess who that sold to me :D )

Sonically that was definitely worse than the japanese one.

Which Japanese version is that, the 20-bit K2 jewel case remaster or the 24-bit remastered gatefold paper sleeve reissue?

I sold the 24-bit remaster because it sounded too loud and harsh to me. Not my cup of tea. The 20-bit K2 version is not bad, but I didn't like it very much either and I also sold it. I don't remember which version I sold to you, sorry.

Edited by J.A.W.

• 2 weeks later...

Stating that the newer issues sound worse is not a point convincing me to part with the few I have of these ......

Of course it isn't, and that's not what I was trying to do. Besides, opinions vary as to which Impulse! CD versions sound best. Many prefer the U.S. digipack CD reissues from the mid/late 1990s, others the Japanese K2s from the 1990s or the more recent Japanese 24-bit remasters.

Edited by J.A.W.