What the hell is this?

Hardbopjazz

no, its vol 1. of live at slugs, 1968 with billy harper/julian priester and i think bill hardman on tpt and they play slide hampton tunes. picked it up for 2 big ones at the tower fire sale, as well as vol 2 which is actually on a different record label (everest) but i have yet to actually play either....

RE: The date in the first post -- this is a (IMHO) fantastic grey-market release, quasi-legit at best.

Those two (and they are different) '68 Blakey dates with Billy Harper -- are REALLY fantastic.

Many of you will cringe to hear this said, but these are seriously my two favorite Blakey Dates on record. :wub:

Edited by Rooster_Ties

RE: The date in the first post -- this is a (IMHO) fantastic grey-market release, quasi-legit at best.

Those two (and they are different) '68 Blakey dates with Billy Harper -- are REALLY fantastic.

Many of you will cringe to hear this said, but these are seriously my two favorite Blakey Dates on record. :wub:

They are really good. Harper plays his butt off on "Angel Eyes", the whole group smokes throughout. That was from the period when Blakey couldn't get a record deal, and I'm awfully glad someone taped these dates. If you are into the Jazz Messengers (and I have more recordings by them than by anybody, even Miles and Trane), these are essential dates. I can't imagine someone picking them up and being sorry. The other Messengers recordings that fit into the same category (grey market but great) is the Live at Bubba's stuff with the Watson/Marsalis version of the Messengers.

ps: ECM sucks

basically yes, except Conference of the Birds and one or two Charles Lloyd and Angel Song.

crystal silence with corea and burton doesnt suck.

open, to love, by brother bley is magnificent.

COTB, of course.

after the rain, terje rypdal

azymuth, with kenny wheeler, norma winstone, and kenny wheeler is sublime.

nice guys

the john surman stuff.

a few of the methenys, notably new chataqua

most of the rest of it is a waste. the american vinyls of ecm sounded great, but havent aged well.

my european pressings are still fine.

I have an italian version of this CD, decent sound maybe a little better than the other live recording of this group that came out on vinyl on a hundred different labels. I love this version of the band and would have loved it to go on for a few more years. I love the off the hook version of the theme on the Live at Slugs record.