Andrzej Kurylewicz Quintet - "Go Right"

Roger Hiles

I have been meaning to recommend this disc for months-- it was one of my favorite purchases last year. It is "Go Right" by the Andrzej Kurylewicz Quintet, recorded in 1963 and reissued on cd in 2004 on Polskie Nagrania (PNCD 900).

I had a different impression of Kurylewicz based on his later, more avant garde work. This session sounds for all the world like some lost classic Blue Note release of the late fifties.

It's a terrific session.

Guest the mommy

there are a lot of polish jazz albums i would like to know more about. keep up the discussion if there are any other albums of interest. i don't mean like recent ECM stankos. i mean like 60s and 70s and 80s stuff. dustygroove is carrying a lot of polish jazz reissues.

couw is tops on these issues

but ...

if I had to pick a few I'd go with:

Zbigniew Namyslowski -- Zbigniew Namyslowski Quartet -- Polish Jazz Vol 6

Polskie Nagrania (Poland), 1966

namysl_zbig_zbigniewn_101b.jpg

Incredible genius from the Polish scene of the 60s -- one of the first standout albums from saxophonist Zbigniew Namyslowski -- a player who may not be as much of a household name as Coltrane, but who plays equally well! Namyslowski is one of the great lost modernists of the postwar years -- a rich talent in the 60s who opened up the range of the alto saxophone tremendously -- working in a mode that was as groundbreaking as that of Ornette Coleman or Joe Harriott on the instrument, but taking the instrument to whole new dimensions! This set features Namyslowski working with a quartet that includes piano, bass, and drums -- freely carving out a rhythmic space that serves as Namyslowski's launching pad for a variety of wonderful original compositions that include "Despair", "Frances The Terror", "The Beetle Humming In The Reeds", "The Wardrobe", and "Lola The Mead Drinker".

Jerzy Milian -- Baazaar

Polonia Records (Poland), 1969

milian_jerz_baazaar~~_101b.jpg

An incredible record from Jerzy Milian -- easily one of the hippest vibes players in Europe in the 60s, and a key member of the Polish jazz scene that also included Krzystof Komeda and Tomasz Stanko! The album's an extremely evocative session that features Milian's vibes and marimba mostly in a spare trio setting -- stepping out with a highly chromatic tone that has echoes of Bobby Hutcherson's straighter Blue Note work of the 60s, but which also flows out with a unique sense of color and timing. A few tracks feature great wordless vocals from singer Ewa Wanat of the Novi Singers -- drifting along with the tunes in a haunting way that has a bit of a soundtrack feel -- and the album also features a bit of guest flute from Janusz Mych. Titles include "Bazar W Aszchabadzie", "Tempus Jazz 67", "Serial Rag", "Valse Ex Cathedra", and "My Favourite Band".

Jan Ptaszyn Wroblewski -- Polish Jazz Quartet

Muza (Poland), 1964

wroble_janp_polishjaz_102b.jpg

This set's a killer batch of Polish jazz from the 60s! The album's got a darkly modern feel -- and features some amazing piano by Wojciech Karolak, playing here in a group led by tenorist Jan Wroblewski. Karolak's approach to the keys is angular and off-kilter -- sounding almost at times like a more soulful, more rhythmic Herbie Nichols -- and next to Wroblewski's youthful tenor, his piano grooves with a sound that's almost like a left-of-center Blue Note from the same time. We don't know what was in the water in mid 60s Poland, but man, these guys could really open up -- and the record kicks like the best work of the time by Komeda or any of his contemporaries! Titles include "She's Always Angry", "Outline", "Quiet & Mellow", and "Dedicated To Swallow".

Jerzy Milian -- Baazaar

Polonia Records (Poland), 1969

milian_jerz_baazaar~~_101b.jpg

An incredible record from Jerzy Milian -- easily one of the hippest vibes players...

and that assessment -- for once -- applies like the proverbial fist on the eye. I'd just leave off the "in Europe" at the end as the guy is an amazing player. The album is not a mere collection of tunes but has a fantastic flow with some weirdish interludes that do make lots of sense. I'd compare it to Körrössy's MPS album in that respect.

It's on Muza/Polskie Nagrania, not on Polonia BTW

Edited by couw

And while I'm posting: the bestest vibes solo ever recorded was played by Jerzy Milian with Ptaszyn Wroblewski on a tune titled "Nana Imboro". Lucky couw found it on a (beaten up) 45 and with some diligence made a more or less clean transfer. The 45 is available as a bonus on the CD "Stan Getz - Jazz Jamboree 1960", sound on this CD isn't to write home about either, so you better click HERE (or here) to listen to the vinyl rip.

Edited by couw

• 3 months later...