How did you 'hear' about the Organissimo.org forums?

eeegor

I believe I followed a link from allaboutjazz.com - and I haven't looked back. The content, intellect and knowledge of posters, and sense of community just seems to be better here. Really, there's no comparison between the two.

I co-own a used record store in Toronto, Canada, and I've never heard of the group Organissimo, but you can chalk that up to ignorance and stubborness on my part; I rarely listen to any jazz that wasn't recorded between 1940 and 1980.

Already this community has been a bad influence on me, as I just placed my first order with Hiroshi Tanno, a name I wasn't familiar with just last month. I'm just glad I don't have a mortgage or kids to support!

Enough from me, and back to the initial question at hand: How did YOU stumble upon these forums, and are there any other hidden gems of online jazz resources I don't know about ye

Edited by eeegor

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YEA, and after the false god BLUENOTE did cast us upon the waves of dispair did we wander for forty days and forty nights and the posters did wail and lament and there was much gnashing of teeth. But then in the north came a voice and the prophet Jim did send out a great summon unto the most and least of us all, and the flock was gathered once more...

Welcome aboard! I would say most of us were cast offs from the Blue Note board.....or at least I know many of the guys from those days! It was kind of a stange period from the time BN shut down and Org set up shop.....guys (and girls) blindly floating around in cyber space looking for each other!

Mark~

Welcome, eeegor! After that momentous day (03/03/03) when Blue Note downsized its bulletin board, imposed restrictions, and all but ripped the heart & guts out of the place, I seem to recall reading a post from Shawn (kofi-hadi?) urging us to migrate here... Jim A. re-made the board to resemble the old BNBB, and thus did the Great Exodus of which the Moose speaketh begin. I think it's the best jazz discussion board on the Internet, hands down. Hope you'll stick around. And Mr. Tanno is great; I just placed another order last week myself.

YEA, and after the false god BLUENOTE did cast us upon the waves of dispair did we wander for forty days and forty nights and the posters did wail and lament and there was much gnashing of teeth. But then in the north came a voice and the prophet Jim did send out a great summon unto the most and least of us all, and the flock was gathered once more...

To which I can only add...

Whencesoever JSngry goeth, there goeth I.

Wow, I had not idea there was once a forum on the BN pages.

I wonder why they shut it down? Couldn't have been a money issue.

Believe me, this was hashed out in a variety of conspiracy theories. Bottom line was that it was poorly managed (moderators would disappear for months on end) and there was a lot of silliness. Then Norah fever hit, but BN's own bulletin board wasn't exactly head over heels in love with her. So the prevailing theory was that with Norah fans coming to the board and most people dissing her, BN pulled the plug.

What was most disappointing was that the forum had an "Ask Tom at Blue Note" subforum where you got the straight poop from one of the bigwigs. Not that Tom came by every day, mind you, but it was nice to have that communication link.

Wow, I had no idea there was once a forum on the BN pages.

Maybe a surge of Norah Jones fans set the servers on fire?

Stick around long enough and pay attention to the direction some of our discussions take, particulary in the Politics forum. Blue Note apparently wanted none of that. I don't agree with they way they handled it, but I can sort of understand.

I was on the BNBB under a different name, then briefly AAJ. I can't remember how I found this one - maybe Brandon Burke? Anyway, it's the only one I pay attention to!

What was your name over there?

cherryco...

Don't recall posting all that much over there, though. For some reason, organissimo inspires me more (or my time is less valuable)...

Wow, I had no idea there was once a forum on the BN pages.

Maybe a surge of Norah Jones fans set the servers on fire?

Stick around long enough and pay attention to the direction some of our discussions take, particulary in the Politics forum. Blue Note apparently wanted none of that. I don't agree with they way they handled it, but I can sort of understand.

Nostalgic?

They might have even paid the archivers to delete the Politics forum! :g

BN Circa 2000

BN circa 2001

Edited by Robert J

Wow, I had not idea there was once a forum on the BN pages.

Believe me, this was hashed out in a variety of conspiracy theories. Bottom line was that it was poorly managed (moderators would disappear for months on end) and there was a lot of silliness. Then Norah fever hit, but BN's own bulletin board wasn't exactly head over heels in love with her. So the prevailing theory was that with Norah fans coming to the board and most people dissing her, BN pulled the plug.

What was most disappointing was that the forum had an "Ask Tom at Blue Note" subforum where you got the straight poop from one of the bigwigs. Not that Tom came by every day, mind you, but it was nice to have that communication link.

did tom wander over here?