AEC "Great Black Music" book - opinions?

Anyone have the Great Black Music: Ancient to the Future book about the AEC? As the link indicates, it's apparently no longer available via the AEC's website, at least temporarily. It was $50 when it was available, and the price caused me to hesitate a bit too long before it was either sold out or went out of print. I recently tried to borrow a copy via interlibrary loan, only to have my local library inform me that the library owning the copy they'd located wanted a $20 fee to lend it. I declined, figuring that if I were going to have to pay $20, I'd just as soon wait until I located another copy for sale.

So, for those of you who've read the book, what's the verdict - essential, disposable, or somewhere in between?

I got it a few years ago from Dusty Groove for about $45 or so. It's large-sized, a coffee-table kind of book, with various interviews and pictures. Seems like most of the interviews were done in the mid to late 90s. There may be 90 pages total, half of those pictures, with large-type print. Expensive but the interviews are interesting and the pictures are great. If you're a big fan then I'd say get it.

No interview with Roscoe (a big minus) but for me the words of Lester are worth the price of the book. I DO fear those not knowing Lester will be put off by his comments but you should remember he had a great sense of humor. I enjoy the book a bunch but have "special circumstances".

For personal reasons, I wouldn't be without the book.

Anyone have the Great Black Music: Ancient to the Future book about the AEC? As the link indicates, it's apparently no longer available via the AEC's website, at least temporarily. It was $50 when it was available, and the price caused me to hesitate a bit too long before it was either sold out or went out of print. I recently tried to borrow a copy via interlibrary loan, only to have my local library inform me that the library owning the copy they'd located wanted a $20 fee to lend it. I declined, figuring that if I were going to have to pay $20, I'd just as soon wait until I located another copy for sale.

So, for those of you who've read the book, what's the verdict - essential, disposable, or somewhere in between?

Maybe you could borrow Chuck's copy for twenty bucks. :lol:

Seriously, I've never heard of a library charging to loan books. <_<

Not entirely uncommon with interlibrary loans, especially for rare and/or valuable books. Sometimes the lending library will also put restrictions on the loan, such as allowing the book to be sent to your local library but stipulating onsite viewing only there - no checkout. The online form I fill out on my local library's website to request an ILL has a field where you're supposed to indicate the maximum amount you're willing to pay to borrow the book, if the lending library charges a fee. I usually put $5.00, and I've only had to pay that once out of many requests. I don't mind paying $5.00 to borrow a book that would be prohibitively expensive to buy (or one I'm not yet sure that I want to buy), but as I mentioned previously, $20 is a different story.

Thanks to everyone that responded.

Seriously, I've never heard of a library charging to loan books. <_<

Not entirely uncommon with interlibrary loans, especially for rare and/or valuable books. Sometimes the lending library will also put restrictions on the loan, such as allowing the book to be sent to your local library but stipulating onsite viewing only there - no checkout. The online form I fill out on my local library's website to request an ILL has a field where you're supposed to indicate the maximum amount you're willing to pay to borrow the book, if the lending library charges a fee. I usually put $5.00, and I've only had to pay that once out of many requests. I don't mind paying $5.00 to borrow a book that would be prohibitively expensive to buy (or one I'm not yet sure that I want to buy), but as I mentioned previously, $20 is a different story.

Thanks to everyone that responded.

Ooops, sorry; I read these posts all the time, but very rarely reply, so forgive the clumsiness.

I am a rabid collector of jazz and blues books. There was a very thoughtful thread initiated by Brownie some months ago regarding books that were works of love, mentioning books such as Korst and Brand's "Shelly Manne"; the Paudras books (although debateable since they were not privately published). Chuck Nessa mentioned the AEC book.

From a collecting standpoint, it really has all that I look for; large format, hardcover with dustjacket very heavily photo-illustrated. Plus, it gathers material that I don't see in other books. Additionally, it is privately published so one can assume that there were not many copies printed. There are uncommon books some of which are rare (highly prized); some are scarce (not many copies, but not much demand. In that sense, this book is closer to scarce, but still is a fine copy.

As Arthur Newman, the dean of jazz book collectors has frequently told me, "I'm a firm believer that everything shows up eventually." On the other hand, Arthur always cautions me to pick up the privately published titles when they come out (I rarely buy a book new) because you never know when some of them will show up. This second issue presents itself more with privately published European books.

I think you are right not to pay $20 to a library. I am all for supporting libraries, but in terms of obtaining a copy, patience will pay off and you will see a copy. When you find it, it will be worth the wait.

Regards,

Baker

B

There are always those treasures that a collector chases. It holds true for books and, as I have also seen, cd's; undoubtedly records also. They pop up.

Indeed the internet has helped tremendously (while of course making it more difficult to have the experience of entering a brick and mortar shop) to make collectible items available rapidly.

I am not familiar with the record. I can tell you that books pop up that were issued in print runs of 75. Sometimes, the rarer materials even get resold more, as more demand exists. One waits years and sees nothing; then two become available within a month--I've had it happen. I'm sure all hardcore collectors have. Good luck on that score.

The AEC book will be a great find; it is not one of those next to impossible ones. One aside on the library books. As a collector, I do not value them (obviously, they can be wonderful to read). Sometimes the first edition of a book is in hardcover and the later printings paperback. Libraries prefer to buy hardcover, as they last longer. Consequently, with books of a limited run, one often has even a more difficult time finding "clean" copies of the hardcover firsts as they always appear as library copies. Again, this does not appear to be a problem with the AEC book as it was offered only as a hardcover.

Regards,

Baker

Reading the AEC book and looking at the photographs gave me a fuller sense of the members and the Ensemble as a whole - great photos and interesting interviews. Plus everytime I open the book, I want to hear more of the music.

Rereading the interview with Malachi Favors Maghostut this morning, I started thinking about how the Ensemble's music might have been different if Phillip Wilson had remained with the group. I love Famoudou Don Moye's playing, but it started me thinking and imagining.

http://db.cadencebuilding.com/searchresult...p;Search=Search has it in stock for $45.

I'd recommend that anyone with a love for the Art Ensemble's music grab this book. It will be something you'll live and grow with for years.

http://db.cadencebuilding.com/searchresult...p;Search=Search has it in stock for $45.

I'd recommend that anyone with a love for the Art Ensemble's music grab this book. It will be something you'll live and grow with for years.

:tup Just placed an order. Thanks for the tip!

Ditto.

Edited by Chalupa

Ditto.

Well, I got the book today, and it is indeed very nice and clearly a labor of love, but the dustjacket was really beat up. I don't mean a little bit - it almost looks like it was removed, crumpled up and then straightened out as best as possible and put back on the book. The book itself is in better shape, but the base of the spine is banged up and there's a scrape across the front cover. In short, it looks like a used book. I expect better for $45.

I'm going to email Cadence and see what they have to say. I'd be interested to know if your copy looks any better when you receive it from them.

Ditto.

Well, I got the book today, and it is indeed very nice and clearly a labor of love, but the dustjacket was really beat up. I don't mean a little bit - it almost looks like it was removed, crumpled up and then straightened out as best as possible and put back on the book. The book itself is in better shape, but the base of the spine is banged up and there's a scrape across the front cover. In short, it looks like a used book. I expect better for $45.

I'm going to email Cadence and see what they have to say. I'd be interested to know if your copy looks any better when you receive it from them.

Whoa. That's a bummer.

I got my copy last Friday. It's in better shape but not perfect. The dust jacket is definitely "shop worn". One of the bottom corners of the book is a little banged up but nothing too major. In fact the corner damage could be from UPS.

The book is pretty amazing though and I'm glad to have it. The photographs are incredible. I haven't had time to read all of the interviews yet.