Jazz in the charts - 100 disc series

Roger Hiles

Has anyone out there listened to any of the "Jazz in the charts" series? It's a 100 disc series presenting the 2,211 recordings in the American Billboard charts in chronological order from 1917-1954. The discs are priced at $8.15 each at CD Universe, haven't checked anywhere else.

The price is tempting, and some of the tracks are pretty rare overwise. Anybody know what the sound quality is like?

Yup, "jazz" in this series includes a lot of big band pop, but a lot of real jazz sold pretty well during this period, and there is a lot of good music here.

I found this link with cover images and track listings from the label (Membran, in Germany):

Look like there's a book in the series also.

I couldn't find any track listings. The few volumes I tried to open for details said there weren't any at present.

A pity.

MG

Now I've had a look at what's in it, a bit anyway, it seems that different people have selected the music of different periods.

In the teens and twenties, it looks like only "hardcore" jazz has been included. But in the thirties, particularly the late thirties, material with much less connection to jazz was included. So, for example, Glen Miller's recordings were included, but Paul Whiteman's weren't. Surely there's not much to chose between them?

MG

Actually, some of Whiteman's stuff is better than you might think.

It strikes me that the idea of this series is a very good one. 100 discs is a lot, though.

I'm sure it is - that's what makes it so strange that his records are excluded.

100 discs IS a lot - and including Whiteman would have added another 10 CDs. :)

MG