Pick my next Horace Silver

GA Russell

Which of these is the best Horace Silver?  

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't go wrong with Horace, and I know that when I was more of a Horace newbie, I would never imagine telling myself that this next purchase would be it for the whole year. :blink:

It's kind of admirable in a way, though as it has been almost 8 years since buying his 3rd album he is moseying along. But resources & time are finite, and maybe he's limiting himself to just 1 this year because he needs more Gene Harris. ;) I put similar restrictions on certain artists & hard bop in general to better explore other types of jazz & music. I'm guessing GA is doing the same. If he takes care of himself he'll eventually get to hear all the Silver he wants, though he might need to pick up the pace just a little. (And if it lights a fire he may break his 1 Silver a year promise.)

I went with the Jazz Messengers, though Cape Verdean Blues could win on another day. I don't have Horace-Scope (I hate astrology :g) or Doin' The Thing (again, limits) but have some others not on the list. Can't go wrong with any. This thread has made me reconsider Doin' The Thing. I have the live Paris Blues disc which I dunno, didn't grab me like I thought it would, so my enthusiasm for another live disc was dampened. In March it'll be a year since my last, so maybe then. :)

You can't go wrong with Horace, and I know that when I was more of a Horace newbie, I would never imagine telling myself that this next purchase would be it for the whole year. :blink:

It's kind of admirable in a way, though as it has been almost 8 years since buying his 3rd album he is moseying along. But resources & time are finite, and maybe he's limiting himself to just 1 this year because he needs more Gene Harris. ;)

Well, we can only hope! :P

This thread has made me reconsider Doin' The Thing. I have the live Paris Blues disc which I dunno, didn't grab me like I thought it would, so my enthusiasm for another live disc was dampened. In March it'll be a year since my last, so maybe then. :)

Doin the Thing is definitely one that I played over and over again, and the Paris disc got a couple of listens and then into the archives. Can't comment on the audio improvement of the RVG, but if you like extreme funky-bluesy-soul, this is a must-have.

It's kind of admirable in a way, though as it has been almost 8 years since buying his 3rd album he is moseying along. But resources & time are finite, and maybe he's limiting himself to just 1 this year because he needs more Gene Harris. ;) I put similar restrictions on certain artists & hard bop in general to better explore other types of jazz & music. I'm guessing GA is doing the same. If he takes care of himself he'll eventually get to hear all the Silver he wants, though he might need to pick up the pace just a little. (And if it lights a fire he may break his 1 Silver a year promise.)

Thanks for your input everyone! Last night Song For My Father was in first place, but today Jazz Messengers has taken the lead. I've noticed that Father hasn't received much enthusiasm among the comments despite its many votes.

Thanks for your comments, Quincy. I didn't expect that this would become a referendum on my collection. Actually, I have five Silver discs plus some sideman work with Miles and Getz. My database says that I have (along with the date purchased):

Silver 'N Percussion (1978)

Best of Vol. 1 (1980)

Best of Vol. 2 (1990)

The Hardbop Grandpop (1997)

Jazz Has a Sense of Humor (1999)

I saw Silver and his group in the spring of '69 in DC at a Left Bank Jazz Society concert. It was enjoyable, but not memorable. I don't recall the names of any of the sidemen.

I find a sameness to all of Silver's work, which is why I haven't been buying more of his records over the years. I enjoy them, but I guess not enough to spur me to go and get more. Obviously I'm in the mood for a new one now.

I've just finished listening to The Hardbop Grandpop. It's a good album, but not a must-have.

Anyway, I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions!

I'm pretty pleased at all the love for Cape Verdean, which gets my vote (edges out Song For My Father, IMO, in the way of originality and fire; it's at least a mild sea change from everything prior--although at times it really sounds like a J. Henderson session. I don't think Horace bested Verdean in the way of "progressive" dates).

...and the Jazz Messengers is a great choice, though... I think the scores of copycat dates might have dulled its impact a bit, but not its luster. Fine playing all 'round.

(coded comment: get more than one!)

Edited by ep1str0phy

I like Stylings of Silver with Home Cookin'

silver_hora_stylingso_101b.jpg

:tup

And it represents (beautifully) a period in the music in general and Horace's music in particular that was to be fairly short-lived. Not that I don't like Silver in all phases through the years (the vocals, though, not so much), but there's some handsomely complex writing here, and Mobley and Farmer are all over it.

As is par for the course, this site ends up costing me even more money. All this talk of Horace Silver sent me on internet shopping trip. I ended up buying Six Pieces Of Silver, The Stylings Of Silver, Finger Poppin', and Blowin' The Blues Away. The only other Silver I have as a leader is the one with the Jazz Messengers, Horace-scope and Doin' The Thing which gets the most play out of the three I currently own.

Silver's Blue and The Cape Verdean Blues are tempting me as well. I know it's supposed to be a classic, but Song For My Father doesn't work for me enough to pick that one up again. I don't know what it is about that one--too arranged? too formulaic? I can't seem to put my finger on it or put it into words.

Edited by mikelz777

I know it's supposed to be a classic, but Song For My Father doesn't work for me enough to pick that one up again. I don't know what it is about that one--too arranged? too formulaic? I can't seem to put my finger on it or put it into words.

Is it because you heard a bit of the title track in Steely Dan's "Rikki Don't Lose That Number" on the radio once too often? :lol:

I know it's supposed to be a classic, but Song For My Father doesn't work for me enough to pick that one up again. I don't know what it is about that one--too arranged? too formulaic? I can't seem to put my finger on it or put it into words.

I don't think Horace's new group was as tight as his old one, at least at that point.

Guy

I find a sameness to all of Silver's work, which is why I haven't been buying more of his records over the years. I enjoy them, but I guess not enough to spur me to go and get more. Obviously I'm in the mood for a new one now.

That "sameness" is the impression I've gotten from Silver's work of the '60s, anyway. Not so much the case with the '50s, as certain things were taking off. This has been my problem with Blakey recs as well, maybe even moreso - tho there are some serious standout ABJM sides for sure.

otoh, "sameness" is what fleshes out concept, what turns ideas into ongoing realities. Without it, we'd be faced with a succession of "projects" which might be "interesting" but don't have any viability/impact other than as items on the shelf and/or a one-off tour. Kinda like where too much of the music is now - make a record and then what do you do with it? And what do you do next? Look for another "concept" or develop stuff into a body of work that ultimately defines itself instead of allowing itself to be defined by a series of outside influences? There's certainly validity to both approaches, but which one is most likely to result in the creation of a truly personal, self-defining body of work?

Let's be thankful for "sameness", at least until it reaches the point of diminishing returns.

Edited by JSngry

Is it because you heard a bit of the title track in Steely Dan's "Rikki Don't Lose That Number" on the radio once too often? :lol:

I love Steely Dan :wub: and I think what they did to adapt that "Song For My Father" bit to "Rikki" was brilliant. (I actually prefer what Steely Dan did with it but I did hear that first so I'm probably biased.) Fortunately, I rarely listen to popular radio so I don't have the opportunity to burn out on it. :rolleyes:

I don't think Horace's new group was as tight as his old one, at least at that point.

Guy

Do you think that the material or their approach to the material shifted a bit as well? Maybe it's more structured with less space for soloing or just not as loose/spontaneous? :unsure:

Edited by mikelz777

[ My database says that I have (along with the date purchased):

Best of Vol. 1 (1980)

Best of Vol. 2 (1990)

I've just finished listening to The Hardbop Grandpop. It's a good album, but not a must-have.

Anyway, I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions!

Not his best work IMHO. All mentioned above much better.

Edited by Morganized

I love Steely Dan :wub: and I think what they did to adapt that "Song For My Father" bit to "Rikki" was brilliant. (I actually prefer what Steely Dan did with it but I did hear that first so I'm probably biased.) Fortunately, I rarely listen to popular radio so I don't have the opportunity to burn out on it. :rolleyes:

I like it too (I rode my bike to Grant's and bought the 45 for 64 cents), I was just checking. ;) As far as radio listening, I was thinking back to when Rikki was new. (I too roll my eyes at the thought of listening to "regular" radio today. Eek/Yuck.)

Not that I know shit about Horace's discog., but the one I've consistently enjoyed is Further Explorations. I believe that one's from '58. I have very few of his recordings, though.

Yep, that one is a beauty. The Farmer/Jordan front line is superb and the compositions are memorable throughout. Very nicely varied programme, well recorded by RVG.

I voted 'Cape Vedean Blues', one of my all time favourite Horaces. 'The African Queen' has killer Joe Henderson and side 2 is graced by pungent work from JJ Johnson. Under-rated !

I wish I had those!

MG

Have you checked Amazon Marketplace? I'd be really surprised if the latter two aren't there, at very reasonable prices.

You're probably right. At the moment, however, that kind of thing's a bit off my agenda, which is heading off towards Africa. I'll no doubt return to it later in the year.

MG