Miles' drummers from his 70's LIVE bands in NON-Miles contexts

Rooster_Ties

What are your favorite recordings (either well-known, or obscure -- or anything in between) from the 60's or 70's, with any of Miles' drummers from Miles' LIVE bands in the 70's.

Either as sidemen or leaders, but on recordings other than with Miles.

That's only three guys, right??

Jack DeJohnette

Leon Chancler (a.k.a. Ndugu Leon Chancler)

Al Foster

Jack D. really was the one who I wanted to start this thread about, but I especially kept thinking about his playing with Miles, and thought I'd broaden the subject a bit.

I'm scarcely aware of Chancler outside of his work with Miles. And come to think of it, nearly all my recordings with Al Foster (outside of with Miles) are from the 80's and 90's.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Jack's playing on Gateway and Timeless is fantastic. Special Edition (w/David Murray and Arthur Blythe) is a great record. He contributes very nicely to Eric Kloss's Consciousness and To Hear Is to See. Power to the People, Infinite Search...

Obviously if we are talking 60s Jack's recordings w/Charles Lloyd and to a lesser degree Jackie McLean are important.

Guy

Edited by Guy

Leon Chancler (a.k.a. Ndugu Leon Chancler)

Stuff I have w/Ndugu:

Weather Report's Tale Spinnin'

Santana's Amigos (did he record on any more albums with them? I don't remember)

Julian Priester's Love, Love

Herbie Hancock's Mwandishi (or was it one of the other albums?)

Guy

Edited by Guy

Well, since it's one of my favorite and oft-mentioned discs, I'll go with Al Foster on 1978's In Out & Around by Mike Nock with Michael Brecker and George Mraz.

For Jack DeJohnette, maybe one of his sessions with Charles Lloyd. I'll say The Flowering of the original Charles Lloyd Quartet from 1966 with Keith Jarrett and Cecil McBee.

Guest the mommy

ndugu was on a lot of good stuff but you need a record player.

for instance, he was on some of george duke's best albums on MPS...he played on some good hampton hawes albums (will concord scum ever reissue???)...he was on some black jazz albums (specifically i recall one of the henry franklin albums)...he was on one of weather report's underrated albums-"tale spinnin'"...he lays down a fat beat on joe hendersons "the elements"...he played on at least one of the michael howell albums on fantasy...

to me, the miles band with ndugu/bartz/henderson/alias/mtume/jarrett was the best miles band.

dejohnette also had two good albums on fantasy (better than the two which are currently on CD) which will probably never be reissued by the concord morons. one was a fusion-ey joint with abercrombie/foster/richmond (also there is an ECM of this group and maybe another ECM with warren bernhardt added) and the other was progressive jazz with maupin, peacock and a japenese dude and i don't remember which japanese dude at the moment...dejohnette sounds like dejohnette (not my favorite thing) with sadao watanabe on "round trip"...he was on a lot of ECM stuff-for instance garbarek's "places" which is one of garbarek's best if you can stand him....dejohnette's album of duets with jarrett on ECM is pretty sweet also..

al foster played on some japanese joints...he sounds good on the kochi "wishes" album with many other miles alum...he played on sam morrison's "dune" album w. buster williams....as GA russell said, he sounds good on at leaat one (i think there are a few) mike nock albums...

this is off the top of my head all this...i am sure there is a lot more for everyone of these guys....

Al Foster also played with the fall 1978 touring ensemble the Milestone Jazz Stars--a quartet comprised of Sonny Rollins, McCoy Tyner, Ron Carter and Al.

Unfortunately, both in the live performance I witnessed, and on the album, the group did not come together all that well, and Al's drumming seemed to me to have been a factor. He did not establish a groove with Ron Carter, and the music seemed disappointingly disjointed.

Jack DeJohnette played on many ECM albums as the 1970s progressed, more than I can think of quickly. His ECM albums as a leader were uniformly excellent, to me. Live, he was tremendous.

Well, it's still a Bill Evans trio album, and that comes with a ceiling on where it's going to go (for me, anyway, no sense rehashing my overall ambivalence about Evans), but Jack does his damndest to move the whole thing beyond that, and succeeds more often thatn not, so yeah, I think you might enjoy it.

Well, it's still a Bill Evans trio album, and that comes with a ceiling on where it's going to go (for me, anyway, no sense rehashing my overall ambivalence about Evans), but Jack does his damndest to move the whole thing beyond that, and succeeds more often thatn not, so yeah, I think you might enjoy it.

I've been slowly easing into getting familiar with Bill Evans and it took me about 17 years. I'll check it out.