[DVD] Archie Shepp: New Morning - The Geneva Concert

Claude

I just received this new DVD release on the german label inakustik. It contains a 1994 Geneva concert (100min) of the Archie Shepp Quartet (Horace Parlan p, Wayne Dockery b, Steve McCraven dr), part of a 2001 Paris concert with a piano trio and the Gnawas de Tanger rhythm group and an interview with Shepp.

I've been at two Archie Shepp concerts in the early 90's, so this DVD gave me some flashbacks. It was the first time that I heard him sing, and I was surprised by his great voice. He sings on a couple of the tracks, but mostly plays long tenor solos. The tracks are a mixture of originals and standards. For my taste, Archie was trying too much to be the perfect entertainer, mixing his typically intense blowing with lighter stuff, singing and groovy R&B rhythms. I prefer his less compromising approach from the 70's and 80's. His playing is still technically very good and soulful though. The band is excellent, especially Horace Parlan.

The second part of the DVD is the 20 minute piece "Sweet Bird of Youth" from a 2001 Paris concert. The Gnawas de Tanger contribute some exotic flavor to the music, and Shepp plays a gripping soprano solo.

Next comes a 30 minute documentary "In conversation with Archie Shepp 1994-2004", with an interview as well as recent rehearsal and concert footage. He talks about his music career, his life and social issues, giving interesting insights and telling some funny anecdotes about Miles Davis.

Technically, the DVD is a mixed bag, because the picture quality is great, but the sound is disappointing, especially as the label inakustik is mainly known for it's audiophile CD releases.

The box states that the picture is 4:3, which would seem normal for a 1994 recording made for TV. But in fact it is 16:9, except for the 2001 concert. Maybe it has been cropped for the DVD release. Sharpness, colour and detail are great. Very little video noise. Camerawork is very professional, mostly using close-ups and some interesting perspectives. Maybe too long crossfades between the cameras.

The sound is supposed to be stereo and 5.1, but on my stereo setup on both audio tracks the sound is mono. The sound quality is acceptable, rather thin and no dynamics. Like a typical TV production from the 90's. Still enjoyable, but disappointing compared to the current standard of music DVDs.

So, apart from the reservations about the sound quality, this is an essential document for all Archie Shepp fans.

http://www.in-akustik.com/en/MUSIC-&-M...amp;language=en

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?...=lk_organissimo

0166461.jpg