Decent CD player for abour 2K

Bluerein

I'm very happy with a Sony DVD/SACD player that has a modified tube output stage done by Decware High Fidelity, but if I could I would get the most expensive CEC model I could, because I've heard a few and think they're absolutely great. I believe there is one in his price range.

I would recommend getting an Electrocompaniet ECD-1 DAC, and a CD player with a high quality drive (can be an old one, because the internal DAC is irrelevant). The ECD-1 is 1600€ new.

I recently got this DAC and it has changed my listening experience a lot, as it has not only improved CD playback (compared to my Sony SCD-XA777ES SACD/CD player) but also the sound from DVD (I can pass the 24/96 PCM signal from DAD discs through the DAC) and given me the possibility to use the PC for high end quality playback.

Of course it can also be used for CD only ;)

The sound of this DAC is extremely detailed without being sterile.

http://www.electrocompaniet.no/products/digital/ecd1.html

Edited by Claude

So far I think all the recommendations are for European supported equipment. . . .

Including Decware? Are they represented in Europe, or, more specifically, in the Netherlands? I've never seen them here.

By the way I was recommending CEC to his friend, not Decware.

So far I think all the recommendations are for European supported equipment. . . .

Including Decware? Are they represented in Europe, or, more specifically, in the Netherlands? I've never seen them here.

By the way I was recommending CEC to his friend, not Decware.

Anyway, Decware doesn't use dealers anywhere, so they're not represented here. Steve Deckert just told me.

CEC Netherlands site - that doesn't mean I'd recommend them, I've never heard them.

Edited by J.A.W.

I know all about Decware. Wasn't recommending it to a European. I'd recommend them to Americans though. Supported for the lifetime of the owner. Hand built modified digital sources. Hand built amps, preamps, phono preamps, speakers!

CEC. .. beltdriven transports and cd players. Excellent!

Edited by jazzbo

I recently listened to a Primare cd31 which was very, very nice. Built to last and nicely detailed but for me now, it's Naim all the way. Never heard anything that competes at these price points.

My suggestion, since Linn has dropped the production of his entry level cd player.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks all for the replies especially the ones which state something about the decentness of a 2K player. Very helpful!!!!

Here's a really nice option. My friend Joel just bought one of these a couple of months ago--I was mightily impressed.

Creek

I had a listen to one of those too. Very neutral sounding. I would consider one.

Why not a Rega? Solid british stuff, no thrills, no gadgets, just music. Though I never listened to latest models, I was tempted by Rega when I bought my Linn.

Indeed. For just over £1500 you could have a full Rega system; Brio amp, Apollo CDP and R3 speakers. All good stuff and looks the business too.

I recently listened to a Primare cd31 which was very, very nice. Built to last and nicely detailed but for me now, it's Naim all the way. Never heard anything that competes at these price points.

My suggestion, since Linn has dropped the production of his entry level cd player.

I've got one of these, had it a year. It's really,really good. CD fights vinyl pretty hard with the CD31 in my house. Really tough as you say, even poorly remastered CDs sound good. All my CDs sound so much better compared to the Marantz CD6000Se I had before. It's about £1500 which will be over budget here though.