George Shearing Mosaic

ASNL77

I won the LP version on Ebay recently without knowing much about that set and George Shearing himself. I have just finished listening to the whole set and I have really enjoyed it. This is a very pleasant surprise. I am surprised not to see this one discussed much here. I can't even find a topic on it. What are your views on that one?

Edited by ASNL77

I won the LP version on Ebay recently without knowing much about that set and George Shearing himself. I have just finished listened to the whole set and I have really enjoyed it. This is a very pleasant surprise. I am surprised not to see this one discussed much here. I can't even find a topic on it. What are your views on that one?

I like a lot of this set. . . . Haven't spun it in a while, need to get it out. Theilman does some nice playing on the sessions he's on!

I like this one, too! Purchased the vinyl box.

Never cared much for Shearing's studio sessions on Capitol but the released concerts are thoroughly enjoyable albums.

It's also a very good opportunity to marvel at the impeccable drumming of Vernel Fournier!

That 1963 concert at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium is a delight!

• 2 years later...

I enjoy much of the Mosaic box, particularly the stuff with the young Gary Burton in the group. There is a definite sameness to the material over extended listening, best in small doses.

"I'm In The Mood for Lunch"

"Lunch is Just Around the Corner"

"Lunch for Sale"

"Beautiful Lunch"

"Save Your Lunch for Me"

Edited by DrJ

• 4 months later...

I won the LP version on Ebay recently without knowing much about that set and George Shearing himself. I have just finished listening to the whole set and I have really enjoyed it. This is a very pleasant surprise. I am surprised not to see this one discussed much here. I can't even find a topic on it. What are your views on that one?

I've just sorta 'plugged into' Shearing myself and rather like what I've heard. Was eyeing the Mosaic but decided against going the $300+ eBay route (...at least that's what the last set I saw went for). Instead, I ordered 'On The Sunny Side of The Strip' and was lucky enough to find the 'Shearing Quintet on Stage' TOCJ at Amazon Japan, offered up by a seller who actually ships to the US!! Three other titles make up that set, oui? Do I need to try and snag LPs of these or have you seen them in cd form? ...possibly re-packaged and offered up as a larger collection or so by one of the Andorran, Blue Moon outfits out there?

I've just sorta 'plugged into' Shearing myself and rather like what I've heard. Was eyeing the Mosaic but decided against going the $300+ eBay route (...at least that's what the last set I saw went for). Instead, I ordered 'On The Sunny Side of The Strip' and was lucky enough to find the 'Shearing Quintet on Stage' TOCJ at Amazon Japan, offered up by a seller who actually ships to the US!! Three other titles make up that set, oui? Do I need to try and snag LPs of these or have you seen them in cd form? ...possibly re-packaged and offered up as a larger collection or so by one of the Andorran, Blue Moon outfits out there?

Yes, three other lps, and a few unissued selections. . . . Not available so far from Andorran outfits, but who knows?

Edited by jazzbo

I bought the CD version second hand many years ago and pull it out quite often - he was an excellent player that new how to make entertaining music that's easy to listen to. He always had good players in his band, especially a virtual who's who of modern jazz vibists.

Vernell Fournier is nice in that box, too.

A Mosaic with the complete Savoy and MGM sessions would be nice - I have some of that on LP and many of you would be surprised how good and versatile that music is.

Edited by mikeweil

A Mosaic with the complete Savoy and MGM sessions would be nice - I have some of that on LP and many of you would be surprised how good and versatile that music is.   

Excellent idea! I have some of those sessions on this double CD:

51JZR1CWVPL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

but it stops at the July 1950 dates!

• 4 weeks later...

You can hunt down the titles themselves, but the last concert with Gary Burton playing vibes has extended material that has not been released elsewhere.

I picked up 2 different live radio transcription CD's of the Shearing outfit. The first one is Just For You, Live In The 1950's, from about 1957, where he narrates and tells jokes between songs. The other one is Live From Jazz Club 15, which is radio transcriptions from around 1966 where he is more contemporary sounding.