Art Tatum

king ubu

Thanks for the Proper recommendation. I picked it up recently, had no time to listen yet, though.

EKE, as I know you do have the Verve/Decca disc, can you tell me whether (and if so, what exactly) it includes stuff not included in the Proper box (see the Proper disco above in this thread)?

thanks,

ubu

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess the 2CD Decca "Classic early solos 1934-37" is duplicated with both Classics and Proper releases

The Decca "Classic Early Solos" is a single CD and includes the following:

August 22, 1934:

38387 Moonglow

38389 When a woman loves a man

38390 Emaline

38391 Love Me

38392 Cocktails for two

(all -A takes)

August 24, 1934:

38426 After you've gone

38429 Ill wind

38430 The shout

38432 Liza

(all -A takes)

October 9, 1934:

38388-C I would do anything for you

38389-D When a woman loves a man

38426-C After you've gone

38427-C Stardust

38428-C I ain't got nobody

38431-C Beautiful love

38432-D Liza

November 29, 1937:

62822 Gone with the wind

62823 Stormy weather

62824 Chlo-E-

62825 The sheik of Araby

(all -A takes)

These are the correct dates and master numbers, the October 9 session was held primarily for re-takes.

Another endorsement for GOD IS IN THE HOUSE, it is remarkable in terms of musicianship. The sound quality is not excellent but certainly very listenable (given the source they did remarkable things).

I have one of the solo Pablo discs and really enjoy it in smaller doses. Tatum is indeed overwhelming to listen to at times, like drinking from a firehose, so nice to savor in sips for me. I must say that I found the COMPLETE CAPITOL material reissued in a 2 CD set a few years ago to be disappointing. Not to say there isn't a great deal of jaw-dropping playing, but this sounds like Tatum on autopilot.

I eagerly await exploration of the Decca material. There is a 3 CD boxed set out on Definitive (from Spain) that calls itself the COMPLETE AMERICAN DECCA RECORDINGS: Tatum Decca Box

...but reading the AMG review (not exactly likely to be error free, I know) there are apparently a lot of unreleased alternates. Also, I'm always a bit hesitant to buy from this outfit given that my understanding is that the artists/family members aren't receiving any royalties (but then again, this material has probably passed into public domain, at least in Europe). I wonder if anyone has this box and could give a brief comment or review?

Edited by DrJ

I may have missed this earlier but what's the view on the Pablo material: the Solo Masterpieces and the Group Masterpieces. I picked up Volume 1 of the solo last night. I'm just about finished reading Francis Paudras' Dance of the Infidels where he cites Art Tatum as being an inspiration for Bud. Ergo, my newly kindled interest in Tatum.

Guess the 2CD Decca "Classic early solos 1934-37" is duplicated with both Classics and Proper releases

The Decca "Classic Early Solos" is a single CD and includes...

My mistake, mike! Picked that one a few weeks ago: astonishing playing!

Planned to pick the Proper Box as soon as possible!

Till I find the Proper Box for a good price at a local store I need to sate my Tatum hunger ;) ...

just picked (for a budget price) this Fresh Sound release:

In Private (FSRCD 127)

c1496.jpg

Art Tatum, piano solo

Tracklisting:

1. Wrap Your Troubles in Dreams (Barris-Koehler-Moll)

2. Sittin' An' A Rockin' (Strayhorn-Ellington-Gaines)

3. You're Drivin' Me Crazy (Walter Donaldson)

4. Tenderly (Walter Gross-Jack Lawrence)

5. Over the Rainbow (Arlen-Harburg)

6. In a Sentimental Mood (Ellington-Mills)

7. You Took Advantage of Me (Rodgers-Hart)

8. She's the Talk of the Town (Livingston-Symes-Neiburg)

9. She's Funny That Way (Moret-Whiting)

10.I'll Never Be The Same (Malneck-Signorelly-Kahn)

11.Night and Day (Cole Porter)

Source tape: Harry Babasin

These rare and historic recordings were originally made on a private tape at Art Tatum's home, during his time in California at the end of the forties (1949 or 1950).

Originally released as Jazz Chronicles JCS 101 (don´t know if the Fresh Sound includes added material).

EDIT: looks like no added tracks, because JCS 101 included 11 songs.

7 out of 11 tracks are included in the Proper Box.

The AMG review (for the Jazz Chronicles release) mentions "not flawless sound". My copy (Fresh Sound Records, 1991) has very, very, very good sound, to these ears!

Very recommended for any Tatum fan!

Edited by EKE BBB

November release:

Art Tatum Live Vol. 5, 1951

Storyville Records

CATALOG NUMBER: 101 8335

GENRE: swing jazz

BARCODE: 717101833528

ART%20TATUM%20front%205%20copy.jpg

Art Tatum- piano - Everett Barksdale - guitar - Slam Stewart - bass

Tenderly / The Man I Love / Body And Soul / Flying Home / My Heart Stood Still / How High The Moon / Come Rain Or Come Shine / Begin The Beguine / Body And Soul / I Know That You Know / Honeysuckle Rose / Sittin' And Rockin' / Memories Of You / The Kerry Dance / Interview of Tatum by Leonard Feather / Taboo / Come Rain Or Come Shine / Honeysuckle Rose / Don't Blame Me / Taboo / Gershwin Medley:The Man I Love/I Got Plenty o' Nuttin'/It Ain't Necessarily So

This 72 minute (21 tunes) live CD was recorded at the newly-opened Embers Club in N.Y.C. in 1951.

The first four tunes are trio numbers with Everett Barksdale on guitar and Slam Stewart on bass; the rest are solo piano.

Pianist Art Tatum is a true, unique genius of jazz; his lightening speed, his dynamics, nuances and complex ideas on the keyboard have never been equaled.

The repertoire consists mostly of "crowd pleasers", including compositions by Duke Ellington, the Gershwin Brothers, Benny Goodman, Rogers and Hart, Harold Arlen and of course Art Tatum's mentor, Fats Waller.

Edited by EKE BBB

Brad, the Pablos were not discussed here so far.

I made some comments on them in another (unrelated) thread. I went on vacation for two weeks in october and took with me both the Pablos, the Capitol 2CD and the 20c Piano Genius 2CD. It was exhaustive listening, and I was overwhelmed! You really should not be scared by virtuosity, though that's probably a difficult thing with Tatum.

I only heard the Pablo solo material once in chronological order, then went back to some single discs, or some tracks. It is exhaustive, but it's worth the time!

Well I did some search and found that post of mine:

Well, among the 20 CDs I took with me for my two weeks vacation (which had to end, alas, yesterday), were the Tatum solo, group (both recently acquired via 2001 and unlistened till then), the Capitol and the 20th century piano genius sets.Sounds like an overdose, and, indeed, I was overwhelmed more than once.

I started with the Capitol sides, then went on to the Verve stuff, then the solos, and finally the group masterpieces.

The Solo Masterpieces is certainly one of the very most impressing sets I ever heard! Yes, you got to take it in small doses, but after having heard the Capitol and Verve stuff, I was familiar with quite a few tunes (& their arrangements), which made it much easier for me to listen to those 7 discs of piano genius.

I have had similar feelings about some (actually about all) of the Group Masterpieces sessions as EKE. Tatum needs no drummer (hardly ever the drummers start a tune, or establish a tempo - Tatum usually handles this on his own, the others - the drummer being among them - enter later on), neither does he need a bass player (and, sorry, but Red Callender is just a little bit too stiff, cuts his notes short without letting them really sound. He certainly was no bad player, but he's just not one of my favorites). The drummers are great, and do a good job, too (nice to hear Bellson and Rich for once not showing their pyro-technical skills), but, hell, Tatum could do all this himself! Then regarding the horns (and Barney Kessel), it does quite often seem like they do just sort of "play along", yet there are so many delightful and beautiful tunes in that collection (my favorites would probably be the Webster sides, my least preferred the Edison/Kessel date, but they're all very close and all at least good, and all include stunning Tatum solos, of course...).

I find the liner notes to be quite helpful regarding the problem of interaction (or rather of the difficulty of it) with Tatum, by the way.

ubu

Well, I´ll quote myself too ;)

Another criticism on him is the fact that he didn´t "interact" with other jazz musicians (as P.D. stated on a recent AAJ thread)

Yesterday I listened (twice) the Tatum-Benny Carter (with L. Bellson on drums) Masterpiece... and I got the impression that there were two soloists... two wonderful and superb soloists... but not an ensemble!

Especially in some songs (now I don´t remember exactly which ones... guess one of the blues, "´s wonderful" and a few more) there are passages when you get the impression that they´re soloing at the same time, instead of Tatum giving harmonic (or rhythmic) support to Carter´s solo.

This doesn´t mean I don´t like that disc. What a pure and marvellous sound Benny gets from his horn... and what a wonderful pianist Tatum was... sometimes at a high speed you´re (I´m) unable to follow what on hell he´s playing!

And this one answering to king ubu´s quote:

I do like the Eldridge sides! Roy looks like he´s containing himself: playing calmly, softer than I´d ever heard him! It´s a superb disc, maybe the second one in my list, after the Webster!

The Webster sides are simply wonderful. Ben concentrated on his tone, blowing a few notes, leaving Tatum to do the pyrotechniques... (simply I can´t fix my ears on the rhythm section...)

Agree with ubu regarding the Edison/Kessel date... though Sweets is a favorite of mine!

Sorry for being such an egoist, EKE!

Have you picked up one of those live Storyville CDs?

ubu

I ordered "Live Tatum vol.1" from CDUniverse. It hasn´t arrived yet. Will post when I listen to it.

My hunger for Tatum grows and grows dangerously. :D

PS: No need to worry for being an egoist, ubu. Who´s not an egoist nowadays? :P

Sorry for being such an egoist, EKE!

Have you picked up one of those live Storyville CDs?

ubu

I ordered "Live Tatum vol.1" from CDUniverse. It hasn´t arrived yet. Will post when I listen to it.

My hunger for Tatum grows and grows dangerously. :D

PS: No need to worry for being an egoist, ubu. Who´s not an egoist nowadays? :P

I actually do my best not to be... never have been on very good terms with "nowadays"... listening to jazz in old europe sure makes people think you are one hell of a strange person (well at least in switzerland, it often seems like that - jazz did not cross the alps with Hannibal, Napoleon or the Russians!).

I read about you having ordered Vol. 1 of the Storyvilles. Please do indeed report back when you get it! I shall consider picking them up, too.

ubu

• 3 weeks later...

I read about you having ordered Vol. 1 of the Storyvilles. Please do indeed report back when you get it! I shall consider picking them up, too.

ubu

After a few spins, all I can say is WONDERFUL!!! (in any case, as expected ;) )

- 5 solos performance from 1934 (radio broadcasts), less than a year after the release of his first four solo recordings on Brunswick. Tatum began to perform on the radio when he was nineteen years old in Toledo, but none of the earliest broadcasts are known to have survived.

Great playing. My favorite is his cover of Carmichael´s "Star Dust"

-2 solos from 1938 and one solo from 1939: more restrained Tatum (less fireworks), but every note is worth!!!

-6 tracks by the Art Tatum trio, with Tiny Grimes (g) and Slam Stewart ( b ) (5 from 1943 for the AFRS Jubilee series, almost one year before the first commercial recording date of this trio -Jan 5, 1944- and one from 1944).

Great music, though the sound of the piano is somehow overshadowed by the guitar.

-4 tracks by Tatum plus the Les Paul Trio -Les Paul and Calvin Goodin (g) and Clinton Nordquist ( b ) and 2 solo performances ("Humoresque" and "It had to be you") recorded on Los Angeles c.1944

-A private recording from Frenchie´s Pink Pig by Michael J. Cudahy, april 1944 of the Art Tatum trio playing "Exactly like you"

The sound, except for the first five tracks, is OK to these ears, taking into account the original sources (private tapes, acetates, transcriptions) and the era of these recordings!

Edited by EKE BBB

Guided by Chuck´s advice, and now there´s a thread about transcriptions / broadcastings, I finally purchased Storyville´s 2CD “Standard transcriptions”. Very impressive, as everything I´ve heard from Tatum.

e44523qwjlu.jpg

13 tracks from 1935; 14 tracks from 1938; 15 tracks from 1939; 19 tracks from 1945

All Tatum solo piano

Sixteen of the tunes were never again recorded by him (among them “I can´t get started”, “Oh you crazy moon”, “All God´s chillum got rhythm” or “Day in day out”). Many others are his first recorded presentation of some of his favourites songs, such as “Elegie”, “Begin the beguine” and “Humoresque”.

Most of the tracks are really short, with Tatum extracting what is essential from a tune. The later ones show a more restrained and controlled Tatum .

His renditions of “The shout” and “Tiger rag” (about a year after his first recorded and famous version) are simply incredible. These are two tunes which Tatum often chose to play in the after hours competitions (to blow other player´s ass from the piano). Tatum emulates a complete orchestra (many listeners and even musicians, through the times, believed there were more than one pianist here!).

Another favorite of mine is “Monday in Manhattan”. In the last chorus Tatum uses his left thumb to create a new line: looks like he has a third hand playing contrapuntal melody.

What can you experts tell me about this box set on vinyl I found at a second hand store last year? It appears to be an original release, and in very nice shape.

Genius of Art Tatum 2, Vols 6-10, Clef Records #MGC-2002-5. The set is packaged in a Mosaic-style box and includes an envelope with black and white photos of Tatum.

Any info on what this might be worth would be appreciated. Make me an offer.

Thanks!

What you've found is the original release of the sides that have been reissued in the Art Tatum Complete Pablo Solo Masterpieces. The Clef albums came with a sketch of Tatum by artist David Stone Martin. If you paid a good price for your set and it's in very good shape, you've been lucky. Not really that rare but you have hours of pleasure ahead of you! This is great music!

• 1 month later...

EKE (or anyone who knows): how does this Music & Arts CD compare to the Storyvilles? Everything from the M&A also on Storyville?

Boots And Saddle

After You've Gone

Dixieland Band

The Shout

Tiger Rag

Stay As Sweet As You Are

Monday In Manhattan

I Would Do Anything For You

Theme For Piano

In The Middle Of A Kiss

Rosetta

I Wish I Were Twins

Devil In The Moon

The Man I Love

Runnin' Wild

I Can't Get Started

Happy Feet

Royal Garden Blues

Ain't Misbehavin'

Star Dust

In A Sentimental Mood

Sweet Lorraine

I'll Get By

I'll Never Be The Same

Judy

Elegie

Make Believe

Get Happy

Begin The Beguine

It Had To Be You

Humoresque

Hallelujah

Lullaby In Rhythm

Oh You Crazy Moon

Over The Rainbow

All God's Chillun Got Rhythm

Sweet Emalina, My Gal

Indiana

Day In-Day Out

Fine And Dandy

I've Got The World On A String

I'm Coming Virginia

You Took Advantage Of Me

Body And Soul

I Guess I Have To Change My Plans

What Is This Thing Called Love

Crazy Rhythm

Can't We Be Friends

Limestone Blues

Among My Souvenirs

I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Write Myself A Letter

Somebody Loves Me

Why Was I Born

If I Could Be With You

Tea For Two

Mean To Me

It's Only A Paper Moon

Just A Gigolo

Three Little Words

I Gotta Right To Sing The Blues

On The Sunny Side Of The Street

CD919j.jpg

61 solo piano pieces recorded in New York City in 1935, 1938, 1939 and 1943 by Art Tatum for broadcast transcriptions.

An outstanding collection of some of Tatum's best work, carefully re-mastered to provide the highest quality audio possible from these sources.  Enjoy the many RealAudio streaming samples listed below.

Mastered from transcription discs which had crackle, clicks, pops and distortion.  Disc-to-tape transfer by David Lennick.  CEDAR-2 noise reduction by Doug Pomeroy.

[AAD] Timings: CD No. 1 - 74:31; CD No. 2 - 74:45.

This collection © 1991, 1996 Nichevo Productions, Inc., Toronto, Canada

ubu

EKE (or anyone who knows): how does this Music & Arts CD compare to the Storyvilles? Everything from the M&A also on Storyville?

ubu:

Looks like it´s the same material:

-track list is exactly the same in the Storyville release: same 61 songs and in the same order. However, total playing time doesn´t fit.

-regarding recording dates, the Storyville is also from 1935 (13 tracks), 1938 (14 tracks) and 1939 (15 tracks), and the last 19 tracks, acording to liner notes, "...are generally believed to have been recorded c. 1945. However, a copy of Standard 191 bears the following legend, in ink: "Production Test 1/22/44". Therefore, if this notation is accurate, these performances took place on or before January 22, 1944."

The Storyville doesn´t mention source and remastering process. The only mention is "produced for CD release by Anders Stefansen". And the release date is 1999, three years after the M&A you brought.

To these ears and for that time and source, the Storyville has superb sound.

Hope this will help!

• 1 month later...

Art Tatum : Live Vol. 2 1944-1945 (Storyville)

482055.jpg

Another step on my personal Tatum "Milky Way"!

Private recordings, radio broadcasts ("Philco Hall of Fame" on NBC, "Mildred Bailey Show" on WABC, "Chesterfield Supper Club") and club live performances.

12 solo tracks (among them, two fabulous versions of Dvorak´s "Humoresque", one joyful "Ain´t misbehavin´" and a wondrous "Gershwin Medley".

4 trio tracks (3 with Tiny Grimes and Slam Stewart and 1 with Remo Palmieri and Specs Powell)

2 duo tracks with an unknown bassist ("Sweet Lorraine" and "How high the moon")

3 tracks with the AFRS Orchestra (Ray Conniff and Les Paul included) with a solo performance of "Begin the beguine". Hell, I love that "Cherokee" version!!!

Sound´s good for the period and sources.

Edited by EKE BBB