king ubu

From Storyville website:

March release

Art Tatum Live 1951- 53 Vol.6

Book_8336_O21.jpg

Art Tatum – piano

Everett Barksdale – guitar

Slam Stewart - bass

Tenderly / Flying Home / The Man I Love / On The Sunny Side Of The Street / Sweet Lorraine / Tea For Two / Tenderly / Out Of Nowhere / Body And Soul / Sweet Lorraine / Tea For Two / Moonglow / Tenderly / I’ve Got The World On A String / September Song / Body And Soul./ Where Or When / Taboo

The music on this 71-minute CD (18 tunes) with Art Tatum is previously unreleased.

The music was recorded during four live broadcast sessions in New York City –

at Cafe Society, Birdland and the Bandbox - between 1951-1953.

Sixteen of the numbers are in trio format with Everett Barksdale on guitar and Slam Stewart on bass; the last two numbers are piano solos by Art Tatum.

The repertoire performed consists of popular tunes and jazz standards of the day.

Art Tatum was a genius; his piano-playing is incomparable; he is one of the greatest American musicians of all time - in any genre.

Keeping up with Art Tatum’s intricate style was a great challenge for his side-men; in this respect, guitarist Everett Barksdale was possibly the most successful of all Tatum’s side-men in finding Tatum’s wave-length.

The juxtapositions of musical ideas, rhymes, rhythms and syntax fly by so quickly that they are practically impossible to grasp and digest all at once – therefore this CD deserves to be heard again and again in order to appreciate it fully.

Tatum’s endless musical ideas prevented him from ever playing a tune the same way twice: just try listening to the three versions of ”Tenderly” on this CD!

LABEL: Storyville Records

CATALOG NUMBER: 101 8336

GENRE: swing piano jazz

BARCODE: 717101833627

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been listening to jazz for about 30 years. All of this time I admired Art Tatum from a distance, and kept him in the category of jazz greats who just don't do much for me personally.

This year something clicked. I finally hear Tatum differently than I every have before. I am suddenly receiving tremendous pleasure from listening to Tatum. Go figure!

Edited by John L

I've been listening to jazz for about 30 years. All of this time I admired Art Tatum from a distance, and kept him in the category of jazz greats who just don't do much for me personally.

This year something clicked. I finally hear Tatum differently than I every have before. I am suddenly receiving tremendous pleasure from listening to Tatum. Go figure!

Welcome to the club, John! ;)

Art Tatum has been around this household from the start. If you are into piano, Tatum is just where its at. I can't get too much of him, but listening to a lot of his sides in a row can be exhausting.

I'm (once again) on a Teddy Wilson spree at the moment (the new April Storyville release just moved to the very top of my shopping list), so Tatum was neglected a bit until I (re)read this thread. Just pulled out the Complete Pablo Boxes for a spin (I can work up a steam to Tatum).

27.jpg

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

On Storyville (again!), this is my last Tatum acquisition:

"Art Tatum: The Complete Jazz Chronicle Solo Sessions + [plus]"

STORYVILLE #8253 [1948 & 1955] (released Jun 2000)

B00002R0X9.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

This description has been taken from a review at amazon.com:

The great Art Tatum was captured extensively on record, but even in his later years the sound quality of many of his recordings was not particularly good. This CD is an exception - 70 minutes of late period solo Tatum, in exceptionally good audio quality.

The first sixteen solos were recorded privately by the pianist Buddy Cole, using state of the art equipment in 1948. There is a real sense of intimacy about these recordings, and the sound quality is such that Tatum's keyboard touch and control of dynamics is caught here better than anywhere else in his recording career. Five of these tracks are previously unreleased alternative takes, and provide a wonderful opportunity to hear Tatum's improvisational skill. This is invaluable music. Most of the tracks are taken at medium tempo and are reflective in mood. The exception is "You Took Advantage of Me", is given an outstanding reading, at a livelier tempo than the "Solo Masterpieces" version..

Tracks 17 to 23 are from a radio broadcast recorded for Radio Sweden in November 1955, and previously unreleased. The tunes are of course much recorded Tatum staples (with the exception of "If I Should Loose You", which is a truncated 41 seconds long but is Tatum's only recording of the tune). "I Know That You Know" is given a frenetic reading of the kind that has led some to wrongly criticise Tatum as a facile musical savant who prioritised surface brilliance over emotional content. In contrast, "Someone to Watch Over Me" and "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes" (both of which Tatum must have played thousands of times by this stage of his career) are given model performances - understated swinging performances, with virtuosity unmistakably present, and yet at the service of the music. Sound quality is not quite up to the standard of the earlier tracks (there is a little tape hiss), but is still superior to that of 90% of Tatum's recordings. A bonus is that we have Tatum's graceful spoken introductions.

In addition, there are erudite notes from Tatum expert Arnold Laubich. All in all, this is an essential disc for all Tatum enthusiasts.

EKE (or anyone who knows): how does this Music & Arts CD compare to the Storyvilles? Everything from the M&A also on Storyville?

I've got the M A set and have really enjoyed over the last 10 years or so. In fact it's my preferred Tatum , ahead of the Websterr session, the Capitol sessions, V discs and sound wise it's way better than some of the Decca stuff I have. the sound quality is perectly good and I see no reason to upgrade to the Storyville.

Just sprung for the 20th cenry genius set and it's mighty fine.

• 3 years later...

I think this CD release (2006) went unnoticed:

Art Tatum and Herman Chittison - The remarkable art of Tatum - Tea for two (Audiophile)

i91901ntyfd.jpg

This issue combines two World Transcription sessions. The Tatum session (11 tracks), under Milt Gabler's supervision, was recorded on January 5, 1944 by the Art Tatum trio with Tiny Grimes and Slam Stewart and was previously issued in an Audiophile LP under the name of "The remarkable Art of Tatum" (AP-88) with less than 27 minutes.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I haven't heard that particular set, I've heard the GRP Decca cds and a Definitive release . . . . This is wonderful wonderful music, it would in fact be a good introduction to Tatum's art, you would have much to digest and (probably) marvel over. Tatum had such talent, it's just astonishing.

I haven't heard that particular set, I've heard the GRP Decca cds and a Definitive release . . . . This is wonderful wonderful music, it would in fact be a good introduction to Tatum's art, you would have much to digest and (probably) marvel over. Tatum had such talent, it's just astonishing.

Cheers, might just have to make it a priority then.

• 1 month later...

Indeed it is. I have this box set. It is nice to have the Brunswick and Decca recordings in one package. But the sound quality is really not up to other releases of this material (as is often the case with Affinity). So I wouldn't real recommend it unless the price is really right.

What about some earlier recordings? Where could I start with Tatum? I am somehow reluctant to start with his later/latest music, so would be glad about some recommendations on earlier Tatum recordings.

One of my all time (and first) Tatum recordings. The record contains the first piano solos cut by Art in 1933 and a solo concert perfromance from 1949. Check it out......

tatum_piano_F.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I was listening to disc one of the Affinity Complete Brunswick/Decca Recordings set today and had a disconcerting experience. Early on there is an Adelaide Hall session on which Miss Hall is accompanied by Tatum and Francis Carter on two pianos. Immediately following several of these Hall vocal tracks there is a version of "Tea For Two." For about a minute I thought it was a continuation of the Hall session, since there were obviously two pianists playing. Only there weren't - it was Tatum's March, 1933 Brunswick solo session. It took me a minute to get my head around that. And I've had this set for several years and listened to Tatum for even more years, but it still took me aback. It's just an astounding display.

Edited by jeffcrom

A friend listening to Tatum for the first time pointed out to me that his arpeggios go down almost all the time.

He seemed to be correct. I wonder how common this is among pianists?

I can see a reason for this. It puts you in the melody range or leads to a harmonic resolution. If you go up an arpeggio to the top of the piano with out turning around it does not lead anywhere. You just stop. Of course sometimes you would like this effect.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I guess this goes here. In a roundabout way, I was listening to some of the tracks of Art playing in 1940/41 that are on the HighNote CD God is in the House. Originally on LP, two tracks were added to the CD. These two tracks may be the highlights of the disc actually, so I was glad I passed on the LP over at DG the other day.