• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

answear
Hey Porcy, can I use this great word? It's kinda like "laughtears."
I should ask to my lawyears, you know, all that issue about US and EU different copyrieghts...
:g If you want to see an example of an "answear", just check out SS1's signature.

Duh.

It's the music, not the label, the sound, the catalog or whatever.

ECM has had some tremendous releases as well as some real clunkers. Like every label.

My feeling as well. I'm not sure why anybody (well, it is chewy...) would get worked up about this.

FWIW, I was just thinking that Tony Williams's 60s BN albums could have easily been early ECM releases.

Guy

Edited by Guy

Guest youmustbe

Sad to say, but Sco has finally reached the BORING!!! Treshold...Jack De reached it about 1980, or earlier...this record is one of the reasons why no one buys 'Jazz' records.

I mean, how many records by these guys does anyone, other than their wives and kids' college tuition, need?

ENOUGH!!!!

As for George Adams, may he rest in peace, I used to book him..terrific sax player, funny guy and sometimes on point, like when we were in Japan in March 91 and his comments about the Iraq war...but I would not have taken his comments about Manfred too seriously...I mean a guy that you had to break down his door, get him to stop free basing and hustle him to the airport to catch a plane to go on a tour!!! I mean he did kill a man down in Georgia, or wherever it was!!! Woulda fit right in with Gangsta Rap!!!

I loved George Adams. His solo on "Duke Eliington Sounds of Love" is one of the best tenor solos ever!

Edited by marcello

Sad to say, but Sco has finally reached the BORING!!! Treshold...Jack De reached it about 1980, or earlier...this record is one of the reasons why no one buys 'Jazz' records.

I mean, how many records by these guys does anyone, other than their wives and kids' college tuition, need?

ENOUGH!!!!

Thank God someone said it!

As for George Adams, may he rest in peace, I used to book him..terrific sax player, funny guy and sometimes on point, like when we were in Japan in March 91 and his comments about the Iraq war...but I would not have taken his comments about Manfred too seriously...I mean a guy that you had to break down his door, get him to stop free basing and hustle him to the airport to catch a plane to go on a tour!!! I mean he did kill a man down in Georgia, or wherever it was!!! Woulda fit right in with Gangsta Rap!!!

I loved George Adams. His solo on "Duke Eliington Sounds of Love" is one of the best tenor solos ever!

I was so excited to be in New York and able to go see the Mingus Big Band in the early days of its playing at the Time Cafe--I'd read that George Adams played with the band--he wasn't there that night so I asked the woman who collected the money (Mr. Mingus' step-daughter) if he still played with the group--"They carried him out on a stretcher last week"--I believe he died not too longer thereafter.

Edited by kh1958

Amusing little discussion here... I agree about the sentiment of ECM "getting old" and one being able to generally notice that, but I also am in that camp who thinks there's enough good new stuff coming out on ECM - Rava, Balke, Tord Gustavsen, Trygve Seim.

DeJohnette and the AEC made several albums for ECM, I don't think this has to turn into yet another one of those dreadful skin colour-specific threads.

There's plenty to enjoy, both old and new (maybe less new, that may be true, I don't know enough of ECMs catalogue to really tell).

Anyway, with all the BN fetishism going on, there's plenty of boring BN stuff, too, and many might feel the older the label got, the lesser the quality/freshness of their releases... look at all the mediocre stuff from the late 60s...

Regarding the comments about Scofield becoming boring, in some respects I'd agree with that. His more recent studio albums that are in a straight-ahead vein (Works for Me, Scolohofo) don't overwhelm me or seem like they have much spark. Some of the jam/funk stuff he's done, I've enjoyed a bit more, but don't go back to it as much as I do his earlier recordings.

However, I do think his two most recent live recordings (the Trio Saudades and En Route cds) both show him playing with ALOT of fire, moreso than just about anything else he's done in a long time.

Edited by Aggie87

Amusing little discussion here... I agree about the sentiment of ECM "getting old" and one being able to generally notice that, but I also am in that camp who thinks there's enough good new stuff coming out on ECM - Rava, Balke, Tord Gustavsen, Trygve Seim.

DeJohnette and the AEC made several albums for ECM, I don't think this has to turn into yet another one of those dreadful skin colour-specific threads.

Yes that about sums it up; there are the more' established' artists, some of whom maybe don't sound as fresh as they once did (or is that our ears?). Then there are the exciting albums on release -- nothing to do with age (or skin-colour, thankfully) that really make you glad that labels like ECM are in existence.